Deer Surfs on my Minivan!

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Had I not been in the vehicle, I would not have believed this story. Coming home tonight from my nephew's birthday party, a nice buck decided to Hang-10 on top of my minivan! We were doing about 45mph down the four lane bypass tonight, when all at once, a very nice buck darts into the path of my wife driving our minivan. His front shoulder hits the front quarter-panel on the passenger side (where I'm sitting), denting it pretty bad, tearing off the antenna, and destroying the passenger side mirror. My window was down, and the glass from the mirror, and hunks of deer hair go flying into my face and lap. The impact spins and lifts the deer around, breaking the upper corner of the windshield in front of me! He then rolls up the windshield, and he hits the luggage rack on top. By this time of course, my wife is on the brakes pretty hard. As the front of the van nosedives, we can hear what sounds like a cat fight on top of the van, with about 6 seconds of hoof-scratching, beating and banging, and loud thumps! As that comes to an end, and with us braking very hard, this dang thing comes rolling back down my windshield, rolls off the hood, hits the pavement, slides about 15 feet, and staggers off an embankment into the darkness!!! Well, we pull over in a sidelot, and the girl behind us pulls up to check on us. She is beside herself frantic! By this time, me and my wife are laughing hysterically, and this girl says "I have never in my life seen anything as bizarre as what just happened!" She says that when the buck hit my roof rack, he actually got to his feet, and proceeded to slide and slip around like the video clips of the deer trying to walk across frozen pond ice. He was trying to run or jump off, but the vehicle momentum kept him from jumping. He kept sliding, and falling until when we nosedived, his feet hit the roof racks, dropping him again onto his back, and down my windshield!!!

Well, we're all ok. The deer, Who knows? The car...lots of damage, but I pay a State Farm agent a lot of money to worry about that for me.

The experience, wacky!!! Proof again that my wife has nerves of steel. Of course my 7 year-old son says "that's a good buck, daddy, I'd SMOKE him!!!"

The view from the car behind me, apparently priceless!!

All in all, quite the eventful evening. The last thing to go through that buck's mind? Probably his butt!!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You must post pictures of your van!

And tell Ms. Bronker that the way to that new Volvo is not by providing you with venison tartar on the way home!

Glad you all are OK! Seth obviously is the one with the smarts as he reacted correctly in this high stress situation!

Guest Bronker
You must post pictures of your van!

And tell Ms. Bronker that the way to that new Volvo is not by providing you with venison tartar on the way home!

Glad you all are OK! Seth obviously is the one with the smarts as he reacted correctly in this high stress situation!

Yes, Seth has definitely got the cool-headed, laid-back personality of both his mom and me.

Had this been my truck, I could have loaded him without having to lift him! He would have rolled back into the bed!

The girl behind us couldn't decide whether she wanted to laugh or cry. Her reaction made the whole night!!!

Had we been two feet further, he'd have come through my window, and the outcome would have been very bad for me I'm sure (God is good all the time.)

I'll try to get pics tomorrow of the dent, the hoof-skids on top, and the object formerly known as the passenger mirror. I'm still picking glass out of my hair. We'll see what SF says. She may get that Volvo after all!

I'm telling you...it was a bizarre event...and that's coming from someone who has actually hit a deer...with a horse!!!! It happened, there were witnesses!

Yes, Seth has definitely got the cool-headed, laid-back personality of both his mom and me.

Had this been my truck, I could have loaded him without having to lift him! He would have rolled back into the bed!

The girl behind us couldn't decide whether she wanted to laugh or cry. Her reaction made the whole night!!!

Had we been two feet further, he'd have come through my window, and the outcome would have been very bad for me I'm sure (God is good all the time.)

I'll try to get pics tomorrow of the dent, the hoof-skids on top, and the object formerly known as the passenger mirror. I'm still picking glass out of my hair. We'll see what SF says. She may get that Volvo after all!

I'm telling you...it was a bizarre event...and that's coming from someone who has actually hit a deer...with a horse!!!! It happened, there were witnesses!

Oh I'm not doubting you one bit. I just want to see the van!

I also go to races just to see who wins.....right?

Guest Bronker

Of course, my true colors showed when as we pull to an abrupt halt, still with deer slobber, hair and crap fresh on my windshield...

I ask my wife. "What was he, an 8 or a 10-pointer? That was a nice buck!"

She's over there calling her mom and our insurance agent...

I'm texting my buddies "man I just saw a HAWG over near city lake! Got within two feet of him!"

Men are such goobers :yuck:

If you had been carrying a long rifle (since you can now) you could have taken a nice buck! Of course you would have had to argue he was a threat, but I think you got the proof on that one! Nice!

Guest Bronker
If you had been carrying a long rifle (since you can now) you could have taken a nice buck! Of course you would have had to argue he was a threat, but I think you got the proof on that one! Nice!

Hmmm...shooting the buck out of season, at night, on a state highway dissecting a city park, inside city limits, while in traffic...

Yeah, what could they possibly find wrong with that?!?

:yuck:

Guest Bronker
Haha, you could just say you were putting it out of it's misery!

Officer: "so that's how it really happened?"

Me: "yessir, he was obviously taking his last breath. He was suffering. It was the right thing to do...I would have waited on you, but I know you're very busy."

Officer: "well, fair enough... but what is with the camera and the hacksaw? And where are his backstraps? Do you always practice humane euthanasia with Dale's Sauce and a Coleman stove? And why do I smell potatoes?"

Guest Jcochran88

I could here Seth now " Daddy he was a nice deer but not as big as mine, Right".

And it don't suprise me that "A" would react like that just another day for her.

Guest Bronker
I could here Seth now " Daddy he was a nice deer but not as big as mine, Right".

And it don't suprise me that "A" would react like that just another day for her.

I laughed out loud when I read that!!! In the very near aftermath of it, that EXACT sentence came out of his mouth!!! Followed by (and you know what a character he is) "Daddy, that buck is definitely not as big as mine, but if I see him at MoonPie's I'm definitely gonna smoke him with my .243!"

You guys would have to know my son...he's quite a character. Very funny, and friendly. He's a lot of fun.

Guest TargetShooter84

Glad your ok.

Get a SUV and get an aftermarket winch bumper....that'll def. take care of the deers lol.

I have Shrockworks winch bumper on my Xterra just for that reason after my brushguard went thru the front causing 4,000 dollars in damage, the brushguard folded easily upon impact. I've had one encounter with a deer with the Shrock winch bumper and only scratches, no damages and been very happy with the bumper since.

Guest Bronker
Glad your ok.

Get a SUV and get an aftermarket winch bumper....that'll def. take care of the deers lol.

I have Shrockworks winch bumper on my Xterra just for that reason after my brushguard went thru the front causing 4,000 dollars in damage, the brushguard folded easily upon impact. I've had one encounter with a deer with the Shrock winch bumper and only scratches, no damages and been very happy with the bumper since.

Oh, she's been showing me the frontal crash ratings of the Volvo XC90 all day...

Alterior motive...