Meet My New RCR

I bought a NIB Ruger RCR (Ruger Compact Revolver) from another member of the site. It's the first revolver I've ever owned, and I was intrigued by the size and weight.

I went ahead and ordered the Crimson Trace kit for it and installed it myself (it takes about 5 minutes and is incredibly simple).

Anyway, I got a chance to shoot it today at the range, and figured I'd introduce this good looking (and shooting) gun with a few pictures:

onpix.jpg

onwhite.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to capture a photo of the laser, and came up with these two:

hand.jpg

barrel.jpg

So, how does it shoot. Or rather, how do I shoot it. This first shot was the very first 5 rounds, handheld at 3 yards.

03y05r-rr-h.jpg

This second one is 10 rounds, also handheld, at 7 yards.

07y10r-rr-h.jpg

I forget to take the adjustment tool to the range, so I couldn't zero it there.

Anyway, here are some first impressions of the gun with the Crimson Trace on it:

1) It appears to be very well made. I'm very impressed with the build quality.

2) It's going to take me a long time to get used to the trigger. Maybe all revolvers are this way, but the trigger pull is very stiff, then goes softer before it breaks. I still got groupings I was happy with, but it's a weird feeling.

3) The grip feels terrific--though I wish my pinky had something to do.

4) It has a fair bit of recoil, made worse by the lightness of the revolver. I only put 15 rounds through it (the first 5 above and then the 10 above), but I was ready to quit after that. Hopefully I won't have to shoot anyone more than 15 times or I'll just have to take a time out.

5) This thing really works well in a pocket.

6) The Crimson Trace is very natural and well-engineered. There's no interference at all from it.

I was shooting .38 Special +P, like the manual suggests.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Great shots, that's a very cool gun. I've had my eye on the LCR as well, just looking for the right deal. I as well am traditionally a semi-auto guy, but this is the one revolver I have on my short list.

Congrats on the LCR, enjoy it!

Guest FiddleDog

I'm completely green with jealousy. That's the gun I wanted to get my wife, but I couldn't find one, so I got her an sp101 in 9mm and put a Crimson Trace on it. Nice find.

I'm completely green with jealousy. That's the gun I wanted to get my wife, but I couldn't find one, so I got her an sp101 in 9mm and put a Crimson Trace on it. Nice find.

I paid a bit under list, I believe, for the revolver itself. And then got the Crimson Trace at a good discount. What they were asking on GunBroker for the combined units was ridiculous.

Guest m&pc9
I paid a bit under list, I believe, for the revolver itself. And then got the Crimson Trace at a good discount. What they were asking on GunBroker for the combined units was ridiculous.

Where did you get the laser at a good discount. Im going to be looking for one for a J frame.

Just curious, why did you get the laser for it?

1) The sights are fairly lame. Maybe they are on most revolvers, but that's how they struck me for this particular one.

2) I think it'll be more user friendly and confidence-inspiring for my wife.

3) I'd never had a laser on any gun and this seemed like a perfect excuse for a toy. :tough:

1) The sights are fairly lame. Maybe they are on most revolvers, but that's how they struck me for this particular one.

2) I think it'll be more user friendly and confidence-inspiring for my wife.

3) I'd never had a laser on any gun and this seemed like a perfect excuse for a toy. :D

LOL, can't fault your logic, but I'll bet that the bite of the +P on such a light and small revolver will be problematic for your wife to shoot it too often.

Guest Fwdftw

hah im still lookin to pick up a Snun 38 soon.. Still deciding 442 vs 642.. This never crossed my mind thou..

I do agree with you on the sights on a revolver especially a black one. :