'Bout What's It Worth? - 1st Gen. Colt Woodsman

Oh Shoot

According to my bud's serial number research, this is 1936 Colt Woodsman. It shot great today with copper jacketed/washed .22 LR. Has one original mag, accessories, docs, box.

Gun in GREAT condition, surely a 9 out of 10.

What ballpark price should he be considering on this baby?

Img_3515a.jpg

WoodsmanBox.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My book lists two versions of the Woodsman that look similar to that one. One is the Woodsman Target, the other is the Woodsman Sport. The Target version lists for 1100 in Excellent condition, and 750 for Very Good. The Sport lists for 1400 in Excellent, and 1000 for very good.

The Sport version has a 4 1/2" barrel, as opposed to the Target with a 6 5/8" barrel.

Your friend has some cool stuff.

Edited by 56FordGuy
I can't spell.

Here is a cut and paste from the online blue book if it helps:

Woodsman Sport Model- 4 1/2 in. barrel, this model was introduced in 1933.

Grading100%98%95%90%80%70%60%

$1,850$1,500$900$550$400$300$275

Add 10% for adj. front sight (available beginning 1937).

Add 50% for medium weight barrel (1933-34 mfg. only), and an additional 50% for semi-circular "half moon" front sight (1933 mfg. only).Approx. serial range on this variation is 86,105-187,423 from 1933 to 1947.

Woodsman Target Model- 6 5/8 in. barrel.

Grading100%98%95%90%80%70%60%

$1,400$1,100$650$450$325$300$275

Note: Colt discontinued the 1st series in 1947. These guns are quite different from the 2nd series started later in 1947. Both the front and rear sights are adjustable.

Edited by hkusp40cal

OK first you say it is in great condition and then say it is 9 out of ten, so this is saying 90%? 90% condition is about half or less what a 100% condition is worth. 100% would essentially be a gun that has never been fired is in all original condition with all materials and has no blemishes at all. 98% is essentially a similar gun, but one that has been fired, though no signs of wear or use exist on the gun. And so then it goes down from there, 96%, 94, etc etc. You can use excellent or good condition ideas on a modern combat pistol say, but not on collecting guns because no one in that indusrty prices things on such arbitrary and inexacting parameters. Remember collectors worthy guns are an investment for many people just like real estate, precious metals, stocks, etc.

As I said in the other thread the place to go to find a value would be someone who sells guns or collects them, specializing in really collecting pieces, not just adding another gun to their numbers. Does that make sense? I don't know that I am explaining myself well.

That all said, the demand for these is pretty high and since it seems he has original box and accessories, the 'package' can often bring more than a piece in even better condition w/o same extras. Hope this helps a bit.

Guest gcrookston

Based on the pictures, it appears to be in about 97%+ condition with box and all paperwork and tools I would estimate it would bring between $1800 and $2100 at auction.

Based on the pictures, it appears to be in about 97%+ condition with box and all paperwork and tools I would estimate it would bring between $1800 and $2100 at auction.

Yeah I think the key here is the box and paperwork. In recent auctions they have gone for more even with poorer finish with all of the side items than 'better' pieces without the other items.

You may be right GC on the percentage. I always have a difficult time assessing w/o holding it, hence the primary reason I do not buy from AuctionArms or Gunbroker when it comes to collector pieces.

I don't know if he is just curious or really wants to sell it. If he wants to sell it, tell him to watch the auctions of Kull, Greg Martin, Rock Island and Julia to see what they are selling for. Right now guns are a good investment. However, not all guns are selling well, just some. If he is in no rush he might be better off holding onto it for a year or two. In general gun auctions have had a very good year and a half despite the economy or possibly partially because of it. The largest price ever for a gun was at the end of last year, a Colt Walker sold at a Julia auction that set the buyer back over $900,000.

Edited by Warbird
... I don't know if he is just curious or really wants to sell it. ...

He was thinking seriously about turning the 3 firearms we posted into 2 or 3 contemporary serviceable weapons plus some cash.

I suggested he join and post, but he's probably reading; if not, I'll point him back to these threads in a few days if he hasn't mentioned it in email.

I really DO appreciate y'all's inputs!

- OS