Caller to a Radio Show....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your exactly right. Unfortunately I think this is a snapshot of a larger than realized segment of our society whose only goal is to get a check and then a bigger check from Uncle Sam (taxpayers). I am being constantly reminded of this quote:

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville

And it seems that now, more than ever, the political powers that be are figuring more and more ways to take from the haves and give to the have nots.

I would have been a lot harder on the caller if I had been the host. I would have said something about if you father three kids you are responsible for feeding them even if you have to work 50 hours a week. And people really think they are entitled to this. I think we are doomed!

This has been happening for years, and quite honestly I don't think anyone should be surprised by it.

I lived in a not so great part of East Nashville for two years. I can not count the number of times I'd go in the grocery store and see someone buy food with an EBT card, then roll the cart out to their Cadillac, or old car on 22" wheels, etc...

People have been taught that the government just gives. I went through school with kids driving modified diesel pickups, swapping parts, drag racing every week, and getting food stamps. They had no sense of...pride? I don't know how to describe it. Why work more, why work harder, why take a chance, when the government can give it to me for free? They don't understand, and they don't care.

I can't count the number of folks I've seen, met, or dealt with that are siphoning off of the government in some form. I can count the two I have met that I knew for a fact could get government help and just wouldn't. One was a young black guy I went to school with. We were in class 8 hours a day, five days a week, then he and I worked another 40 hour night shift together in a truck shop. He had a wife and kid at home. He could've gotten assistance from the government, but he just wouldn't do it. The other is my uncle. Back several years ago, he was laid off from a factory job and at the time, could not find similar work. He has a wife and two kids. So instead of filing for unemployment benefits, he took a job at McDonalds. He, along with my grandfather, are some of the most stubborn men I've ever known, and the world could use a lot more like them.

But instead, I'm left seeing people like Jesse every single day. Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket? :screwy:

Guest mikedwood

There are times when I go to the grocery store and in line I notice I am the only person there no paying with the foodie card. Freaks me out.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I see them also, only if I have to.

My cousins and their bum friends out in Dickson.

To each their needs. To each their ability to pay. I see more and more just like this guy every year. Both black and white. We are in serious trouble as a free nation.
Guest 45AUTO

That's whats wrong with the USA we have to many people getting a check for setting on thier butts . It kills me each time I go to the store and it looks like Iam the only person not paying for the food with a ebt card.