Procedures for issuing an HCP

Guest m&p40

Guest m&p40

Is it true that when they issue an HCP they are basically doing the same background check you get when buying a gun accept they are also sending your info to FBI, TBI, ect..... (only that you will be issued an HCP) so what Im saying is they receive your application and fingerprints, they send you app to the FBI, TBI, ect.... then they run the same background check that you get when you buy a gun and if it goes through they mail your permit.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m&p40

Doesnt the background check you get when you buy a gun cover that?

(NICS) National Instant Criminal Background Check System

That should cover local, state, and federal shouldnt it?

Edited by m&p40
Guest m&p40

O.K. I think I found the procedures. According to a freind who has a friend who works in the HCP department, first your fingerprints are issued to FBI,TBI, and local sheriff where you live. Once they all receive your prints an NICS check is done and the permit is then issued.

To directly answer the question, I'm really not sure.

However I think a TICS check and a Criminal History check are two different things.

Also I don't think all the things that can disqualify you always get entered into a state or federal level database. So that is one reason a copy of the application is sent to your local sheriff to verify the accuracy, to the best of their knowledge, the information you provide.

Here are a few websites with a little bit of information.

Records & Identification Unit - FAQs

TBI Instant Check System

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Edited by Fallguy

Sorry m&p40, I just bought a gun, had all the background stuff done, as required by the firearms dealer, and just completed all the paperwork for the handgun concealed carry permit, but do not know if investigations were duplicated. It's just my sense of perception, but I think the one for the permit is much more in "depth" than the one they run at the gun show when you buy a gun. I just finished doing my finger printing about 4 hours ago, so my memory is pretty fresh. I filled out as much paperwork, with confidential, personal information on it as I did for going through nuclear weapons training during the Viet Nam War! No doubt, it's a hassle and will separate you from a bit of your hard earned greenbacks, about $115.00 plus your training class. Personally, I think it's all about "control", and dollars.

Why is common sense so uncommon these days? Senator Fred Thompson

O.K. I think I found the procedures. According to a freind who has a friend who works in the HCP department, first your fingerprints are issued to FBI,TBI, and local sheriff where you live. Once they all receive your prints an NICS check is done and the permit is then issued.

Pretty much, although I think the Sheriff only gets a copy of your application.

Here is what the law says they are supposed to with the fingerprint cards.

39-17-1351

(g) (1) Upon receipt of a permit application, the department shall:

(A)
Forward two (2) full sets of fingerprints of the applicant to the Tennessee bureau of investigation; and

(
:rolleyes:
Send a copy of the application to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.

(2)
Within thirty (30) days of receiving an application, the sheriff shall provide the department with any information concerning the truthfulness of the applicant's answers to the eligibility requirements of subsection © that is within the knowledge of the sheriff.

(h) Upon receipt of the fingerprints from the department, the Tennessee bureau of investigation shall:

(1)
Within thirty (30) days from receipt of the fingerprints, conduct computer searches to determine the applicant's eligibility for a permit under subsection © as are available to the bureau based solely upon the applicant's name, date of birth and social security number and send the results of the searches to the department;

(2)
Conduct a criminal history record check based upon one (1) set of the fingerprints received and send the results to the department; and

(3)
Send one (1) set of the fingerprints received from the department to the federal bureau of investigation, request a federal criminal history record check based upon the fingerprints, as long as the service is available, and send the results of the check to the department.

Guest dizzielizzie

I think the Instant Check system is looking for those with the "big red flags" on their records. It's just the state's way of making themselves feel all warm & fuzzy when they go to bed at night to say "well, we did our best to make sure we didn't put a gun in a bad guy's hands."

Did you hear about the 2,000 traffic tickets they found in an employee's desk up in Metro? Perfect example of the many ways the big computer in the Tennessee sky won't match the paper trail.

There's many instances on TGO where the honest citizen, who's never done anything wrong, gets denied a purchase. I've also talked with a pawn shop owner who had to deny police officers on 5 seperate ocassions because the insta check denied them - people who are supposed to be enforcing the laws who have broken them, but I guess not enough to get fired!

It made me a little nervous to get fingerprinted to get my HCP though. I've never been fingerprinted before (never been arrested) and to willingly do so? I felt like I was standing in the TBI's parking lot yelling "Can I please carry a gun?! I've been a good girl!! Please?!?!"

Here let me fix that for you.

Sorry m&p40, I just bought a gun, had all the background stuff done, as required by the firearms dealer, and just completed all the paperwork for the handgun carry permit,

Open carry with our HCP is allowed in Tenn.

Please don't let the sheep confuse you, we do not have a "concealed" weapons permit in Tenn.

We have a Handgun "Carry" Permit.

I choose not to open carry but i also do not have to worry if it's seen since i'm legal either way.

Edited by Tobashadow
Guest m&p40

Handgun Carry Permit General Information

Processing

• Applications are received and reviewed in the Handgun Carry Permit Office.
  • Proper documentation is forwarded to three (3) different agencies: (TBI, FBI, County Sheriff).
  • Upon a name search approval from TBI, the permit can be issued within ninety (90) days from date of application.
  • Upon issuance, the handgun carry permit will be mailed to the applicant.
  • Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
  • FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE