Cross country trip. Need help with carry info!

Guest clsutton21

Guest clsutton21

I used the trip planner that I found a link for on here and put it my states of travel. I was hoping that someone on here could clear up some of the language that they use in what I need to do with my gun while traveling through the states. In some states: MO, SD, MT, OR, UT, AZ, OK...I will be staying at hotels, how does the law change there? Can I still carry my gun.

Also, is there one set way to have your gun while you are driving on the interstate? Should it be locked up or out in the open always or does it depend on the state? I could leave it locked up the entire time, but that kind of defeats the purpose of even owning the thing...so are there certain states along my route that I should lock my gun up for?

Before people say, "just conceal it". My gun is an old cowboy action six shooter with a cartridge belt and matching leather holster...it's not exactly the concealable type (Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag).

Here is the link of where I will be going, please help me out!

Trip Planner for clsutton21

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In many states that do not recognize a Tennessee carry permit may allow you to transport your gun if it's locked in a case unloaded and in the trunk and the ammo stored seperate from the gun. Be careful of big cities like Chicago that may have their own regulations. If it's not concealable then you have to check the state's regulation on open carry.

Guest clsutton21

Thanks OhShoot, but that's the one I used. The link I gave is the result of me already clicking all of the states so they would be listed.

I do have one more question. Is it generally acceptable to have my handgun visible or concealed while driving cross country?(from a law standpoint)

Guest bkelm18
Thanks OhShoot, but that's the one I used. The link I gave is the result of me already clicking all of the states so they would be listed.

I do have one more question. Is it generally acceptable to have my handgun visible or concealed while driving cross country?(from a law standpoint)

It depends on the state and what their laws are. If they only have concealed carry laws and no open carry laws, then keep it concealed. Just to be safe, if you have your permit and are in a state that recognizes it, I'd just conceal it all the time. Less chance of running afoul of the laws.

Do you have a carry permit?

If not there are only few states you can keep the handgun loaded while within your car.

But Handgunlaw.us is a good site for a state-by-state break down also they have a Car/RV carry page.

Guest clsutton21
Do you have a carry permit?

If not there are only few states you can keep the handgun loaded while within your car.

But Handgunlaw.us is a good site for a state-by-state break down also they have a Car/RV carry page.

My permit is supposed to be in within 7-14 days...but you guys know how that is.

Edit: Could one of you guys break these two statements down for me? One appears for the state of Oregon: "Open carry permitted generally by state law, but lacks preemption or entails significant restrictions." The other is for Iowa: "Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted." For the life of me I can't understand this even though I know all of the words.

Edited by clsutton21
Adding info
My permit is supposed to be in within 7-14 days...but you guys know how that is.

Edit: Could one of you guys break these two statements down for me? One appears for the state of Oregon: "Open carry permitted generally by state law, but lacks preemption or entails significant restrictions." The other is for Iowa: "Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted." For the life of me I can't understand this even though I know all of the words.

When a state has preemption it means generally local governments can not pass local ordnances in regards to carry or possession of firearm.

So in Oregon it's saying that by state law Open Carry is permitted, however if there is no preemption that means a city could pass a local ordnance against it.

So in Iowa it means open carry is permitted while you are walking down the street or within in your car, if you have a permit and local governments can't pass ordinances to the contrary.

But...a TN HCP is not recognized in Iowa anyway...:D

Guest clsutton21
When a state has preemption it means generally local governments can not pass local ordnances in regards to carry or possession of firearm.

So in Oregon it's saying that by state law Open Carry is permitted, however if there is no preemption that means a city could pass a local ordnance against it.

So in Iowa it means open carry is permitted while you are walking down the street or within in your car, if you have a permit and local governments can't pass ordinances to the contrary.

But...a TN HCP is not recognized in Iowa anyway...:D

Oregon neither. That's my main reason for going...my sister is moving to Portland for school. They actually have a law that in the city of Portland, OR HCP or not, you can't carry your gun loaded.

• 1 month later...
Guest clsutton21

Ahh, my first thread.

Thought I'd bump it up for any new info that anyone could give. My trip is in a week and it looks like I'll be taking the .357 Ruger Blackhawk. :rolleyes: