Questions about Romaninian WASR-10 AK-47

Fallguy

If this has been asked before I appoligize, but I don't spend a lot of time in the long gun forum.....mainly because I don't have any long guns, as of now anyway?

So what, if any, opinion do y'all have about the Romaninian WASR-10 AK-47?

From what I've read around on the net, some people really like them, don't have any problems with them and seem to really enjoy theirs. Others act like they wouldn't have one if you gave them one. Just wanted to hear from the folks on here.

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They used to have problems when they first came around, canted sights or a canted(fancy name for crooked) gas block. They have straightened them out to my understanding. I'm looking to get one for myself if the price jumps back anytime soon. I've only shot them, not owned one.Not as nice as the mak 90, but an ak none the less. I'd say go for it.

Guest lci419

I don't have the WASR, but I do have a Romak 991 which is essentially an earlier production type of a WASR. I have found the Romanian AK clones to be exceptionally reliable and wouldn't trade mine for the world. They aren't tack drivers at 500 yards, but then again I can't see an elephant at 500 yards either. I ended up paying about $300 for mine a few years ago. Last gun show I went to in Smyrna a couple of months ago, I personally thought the prices were outrageous at anywhere from $600-700. The finish work etc. on WASRs aren't anywhere near worth that in my mind. Of course, the beauty of these is you can fix them up, refinish and customize them to your taste. If it were me, I would shop around a bit and try to catch either a Romak 991, SAR, or even a MAC 90 at a reasonable cost from some unsuspecting seller. I do think you won't regret getting an AK clone though, they are real rough and tumble workhorses which are a lot of fun to own.

Thanks everyone so far.

The prices have dropped some. On one website I looked at a couple of months ago, the price is no $100 less.

Still not sure what I'll do, but very much leaning toward going ahead and getting one tomorrow...

Guest waffenldr

Just make sure the mags fit. I have one that was a single stack mag only and converted by the importer. I guess. Anyway the mag wobbled when I first got it. I have since fixed that problem though.

I guess Chairman Mao Obama has gotten to you Fallguy. 1984 here we come.

Edited by waffenldr
Guest SUNTZU

I like mine. AK's were never meant to be tack drivers. I bought mine with wood furniture that someone else refinished. Magazines have no wobble, either. There are some new magazines on the market that I saw for sale at the last gun show for $12 to $18. I've read of people putting night sites on their AK's that really like them. I would get one if the price was right. Ammo can be a stone cold bitch to find, as there are many Wolverines out there right now. Welcome to Palmetto State Armory! has some brown bear right now for $139.00 per 500 rounds, which seems to be the average lately. If you getting a new one from the gun store, check for cant as posted by someone else.

Here's the buyers guide from AK-47.net.

AK-47.net: AK FAQ

When you get one, Guerrilla Gunsmithing, a revolution for the home hobbyist has a detailed pictorial guide on disassembly and reassembly, in case you decide to clean it in your lifetime.

So this is the one I'm looking at...

Classic Arms Inc.

ROMAKMVSP.jpg

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WAY TO GO. YOU GET ALMOST $70.00 WORTH OF EXTRAS FOR JUST A LITTLE MORE DOUGH. THIS IS THE HIGHLY POPULAR ROMANIAN MILITARY VARIATION AK RIFLE. THE RIFLE ITSELF FEATURES A BAYONET LUG AND A 45 DEGREE COMPENSATOR AND COMES COMPLETE WITH A BAYONET, SHEATH AND FROG. IT ALSO COMES WITH 2 RIBBED BACK, ALL STEEL, EASTERN BLOC 30 RD MAGS AND 2 U.S. MADE POLYMER 30 RD MAGS BY TAPCO THAT CARRY A LIFETIME WARRANTY. ALSO INCLUDES A SLING, MAG POUCH, OIL BOTTLE, CLEANING KIT AND MANUAL. ALSO FEATURES A U.S. PISTOL GRIP AND TAPCO NO-SLAP 3 PIECE TRIGGER SET SO THAT THE RIFLE IS FULLY COMPLIANT WITH ALL HIGH CAP MAGS AND /OR DRUMS REGARLESS OF THEIR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. ALL OF THIS SHIPS IN THE HEAVY DUTY BULLDOG BRAND TACTICAL CASE YOU SEE ABOVE. THIS CASE HAS 4 MAG POCKETS PLUS A ZIPPERED COMPARTMENT FOR STORING EXTRA GEAR AND AMMO. FEATURES DUAL CARRY HANDLES PLUS A DELUXE PADDED SHOULDER STRAP. THIS IS A FANTASTIC BUY WITH LOTS OF EXTRAS AND A NICE CASE TO PROTECT AND TRANSPORT YOUR INVESTMENT

WE ONLY HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF THESE SHOOTERS PACKAGES AND THEY WILL GO FAST............ WHAT A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE RIFLES ARE IN STOCK NOW AND READY TO SHIP.

ASK FOR THE ROM-AK MV SHOOTERS PKG...............$529.95

Guest SUNTZU

Classic arms usually has great deals like this one. I've never used the Tapco mags, because everything I seem to read about them seems to be bad. With all the extra gear and accessories, that is a good deal.

Guest crhoades

I read through all of the posts and was going to post the link to Classic Arms as that was the one I was looking at buying but lo and behold it showed up a couple of posts ago.

So...of course you have to now go ahead and buy one and let me know how it goes, so that I'll know whether to buy one or not! :rolleyes:

Guest joeharris

They are basically made using military reject Parts, but that should not be a problem since their are semi-auto. If you can find one that doesnt have any of the following problems you should be fine, canted front sight,canted gas block, welded piston, improperly cut out mag well, just to mention the major points!

If none of the above exists, is fine as an entry-level AK!