Pros and Cons of the Makarovs 9mm

Guest Chandler

Guest Chandler

Ever since I saw the Deadliest Warrior with the Spetznaz team and the Makarov I have been itching to get one or shoot one. I love the holster that cocks the gun when you slide it out:tough:.

But in reality , are they great guns?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joeharris

Yes, for that time, 12 pound trigger, i rather have my Glock for CC!

The russian military, never much cared for them, in Afghanistan the russians would rely on the Mak. to shoot themselves as a last resort!

The high-Cap ones were made just for export!

But beats throwing a Rock!

Look at the cz-82. It's one of the finest(IMHO) Mak's you an get. It's a little bigger but the trigger is smooth and light, and you get a 13rd double stack mag.

I've been eyeing an italian mauser in 9mm mak too.

And CALL me. Bro. :)

I just got rid of my CZ-82 mainly because no cast boolits, & also the caseing is so close to 9mm Luger. Easily mixed up.

I'm to the point now I don't want to buy ammo, so I traded it for a S&W Model 10-6.

I did like the CZ. It felt great & shot great. I would say Go for it.

Guest joeharris
Look at the cz-82. It's one of the finest(IMHO) Mak's you an get. It's a little bigger but the trigger is smooth and light, and you get a 13rd double stack mag.

I've been eyeing an italian mauser in 9mm mak too.

And CALL me. Bro. :)

Never heard of a cz-82 being called a Mak? Except for Caliber they are different as day & Night!

Some even call the P-64, a Mak!

Guest Smitty

I carry my Bulgarian Makarov everyday I go out concealed. I love mine. I've only had one jam out of it ever, but that was with a bad cartridge. It's a great bargain for the price at $180. They have gone up a lot more now due to they do not make them anymore. The price for ammo isn't too bad for it either if you buy in bulk like I usually do. You can go to Makarov.com to learn more about it. I hope my rant helps. :)

Maks are great inexpensive (Russian and E German excluded) pocket pistols. The trigger pull can be reduced through springs and the round is pretty good. Plus you can change barrels and make it a .380. They are rock solid pistols.

As has been said the p64 is NOT a Makarov. It is more akin to a PPK clone, although internals are a little different. That being said I prefer the P64 to a Mak due to size and asthetics.

The Makarov site is a very good resource.

Guest joeharris
Maks are great inexpensive (Russian and E German excluded) pocket pistols. The trigger pull can be reduced through springs and the round is pretty good. Plus you can change barrels and make it a .380. They are rock solid pistols.

As has been said the p64 is NOT a Makarov. It is more akin to a PPK clone, although internals are a little different. That being said I prefer the P64 to a Mak due to size and asthetics.

-----------------------------------------------------------

+1 on the P-64, except is has a trigger pull of 24 pounds, which can also be reduced by springs, changing a barrel on a Mak, is a hell of a job, even with the Press for one!

Guest Rugerman

I had a Soviet military issue Mak and thought it was a sweet gun that was fit and finished much better than a lot of others I have seen. I payed under $200 for it and, for that money, it is a great gun. It kicks like a mule, in my opinion, but is the best size for a CC pistol for me. Now that people are trying to bring in over $400 for the same gun, and with other options like the small Kahr 9mm's, I just think there are much better options out there.

I have a Bulgarian Makarov in my collection. I think I got it for $149 a few years ago at a gun show. In my opinion they are good little guns for the money. The safeties on them can be kind of stiff and hard to manipulate, and the trigger pull on that first double action shot is loooooooong. :screwy: For a fun little range gun they're great, and the ammo for them is becoing available again. For concealed carry I prefer my Glock 19, or My Kel-Tec P-11. A holster that cocks the pistol as you draw it? I must have missed that one. If you can get one for a decent price, I'd go for it.

TK47

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon

I wouldn't trade my Baikal for anything. The only thing I don't like is the front sight is hard to pick up unless the lighting is really good. It's a great shooter though.

I'm tempted at times to paint pen the front sight, but I just can't bring myself to ruin its look.

Edited by AreSeeFiddyWon
It's....Its....It's.....Its
Guest Rugerman
I wouldn't trade my Baikal for anything. The only thing I don't like is the front sight is hard to pick up unless the lighting is really good. It's a great shooter though.

I'm tempted at times to paint pen the front sight, but I just can't bring myself to ruin its look.

On the pro side, I think they point very naturally. I also think they have good accuracy for their size.

Guest Rugerman
I got a Russian one in the early 90's carried it for awhile until I had a run in with a dog 3 rounds to the head still had to jump on a car, it still sits in the gun safe.

Ironically, the only time I have ever had to pull a gun was on a pack of dogs in our neighborhood that tried to attack my wife and kids, and the gun I pulled was my makarov. Glad I didn't have to use it, and pray I never will have to use a gun in any defensive situation.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon
I got a Russian one in the early 90's carried it for awhile until I had a run in with a dog 3 rounds to the head still had to jump on a car, it still sits in the gun safe.

Wow, I'd have to change my shorts after something like that! What ammo were you using?

I have a FEG PA-63 in the 9x18 Makarov that i'm interested in working a trade on a Kel-Tec P3AT. It shoots good, and has a safety. I already have a couple of 9mms, and wanted a P3AT. I have about 450 rounds of ammo, 2 mags, and the leather officer's holster to go with it. The leather officer's holster has a pocket for the second mag.

Actually, I shot better with it at the range than I did with my Kel-Tec P-11. I didn't particularly notice any unusual recoil, certainly not any more than my Kel-Tec.

Anyone interested in working some sort of deal on a trade, just let me know. I don't particularly need to trade it. I just want a KT-P3AT.

I'm relatively new on here, so this may not work...but I'm going to try to post a picture. As we can see, I didn't have any luck with that! PM me if you have an interest. Thanks.

Guest Fenris

Right now I use a PA-63 as my EDC.

Pros, light, accurate, cheap ammo, easily concealed, inexpensive but good quality.

Cons, heavy DA, kicks a bit which has made me have to practice a lot not to anticipate recoil, hold 7+1.

Amen!!

They are, indeed, a great thing. Close to a ppk without the stupendous price.

LEROY

Wow, I'd have to change my shorts after something like that! What ammo were you using?

Back then all you could find was FMJ So a friend loaded some Speer HP For me. he loaded them a little hot, the dog was a chow mix and we had problems with him before. Animal control got him 2 are 3 days later and put him to sleep.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon
Back then all you could find was FMJ So a friend loaded some Speer HP For me. he loaded them a little hot, the dog was a chow mix and we had problems with him before. Animal control got him 2 are 3 days later and put him to sleep.

Wow, 3 hot 9x18 HP's to the head and it lived for 2 or 3 days till the dog catcher finished it off? That's downright amazing.

I have two Bulgarians and they shoot eveeeeverryyy thing. I have not had a stovepipe at all. Use them with Wolf and Brown Bear mostly; all the same,I just love plinking with it. At the height of the ammo shortage, I could still get a thousand for $146. It may not be the strongest round, but for plinking: Availability is first. Price is second.