Repeated 1911 malfunction during practice.

Volphin

Hi everyone,

I was at the range the other day and got disgusted with the performance of my Springfield Champ 1911. The spent cartridge will not exit the weapon properly every three or four shots. Sometimes it will stovepipe, sometimes just hang halfway out of the chamber. :D

In any case, when it happens I have to lock back the slide, eject the mag, hold her at a 45 degree incline and gently shake out the brass. It exits down through the mag area. It has been about a year since I shot this weapon. What really bugs me is I'm super accurate with it. I need it to function right every time. It is my primary carry weapon. What causes this and how do I remedy it? Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: Mod, this may belong in the Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting forum. Please reassign at your discretion.

Edited by Volphin
Wrong forum
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I was at the range the other day and got disgusted with the performance of my Springfield Champ 1911. The spent cartridge will not exit the weapon properly every three or four shots. Sometimes it will stovepipe, sometimes just hang halfway out of the chamber. :D

In any case, when it happens I have to lock back the slide, eject the mag, hold her at a 45 degree incline and gently shake out the brass. It exits down through the mag area. It has been about a year since I shot this weapon. What really bugs me is I'm super accurate with it. I need it to function right every time. It is my primary carry weapon. What causes this and how do I remedy it? Thanks in advance for your help!

From what you describe it sounds like the extractor needs tuning. It sounds like there is not enough pressure on the case.

What kind of ammo are you using? That is exactly how my SA behaves with Wolf.

Regardless, may still need that extractor looked at.

Was using Winchester 230 gr. target. Gun was clean and oiled up. I keep it that way...

AHA! I knew this was common... looks like I have a type III failure to extract issue. Great reference link, thanks!

Looks like I may need an extractor. Nuts. Is this a costly item? I'm not a gunsmith... I'd have to have it done. Could it have something to do with my habit of loading a round into the chamber before inserting the clip giving me a +1?

Guest bkelm18
Throw the extractor away and get a new one unless you like failure.
Haha, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Volphin, no the extractor is pretty cheap depending on which brand you get. The good thing about 1911s is there are tons of sources for parts.

• Administrator

Your extractor can just be tuned a bit. I've got a 1911 armorer's block and can address that stuff sitting at the range, so a good gunsmith local to you should be able to knock it out in about 10 minutes.

If you do just replace the extractor, I'd go for a Wilson Combat Bulletproof model. Odds are it may need to be tuned also as not much for a 1911 is exactly "drop in".

AHA! I knew this was common... looks like I have a type III failure to extract issue. Great reference link, thanks!

Looks like I may need an extractor. Nuts. Is this a costly item? I'm not a gunsmith... I'd have to have it done. Could it have something to do with my habit of loading a round into the chamber before inserting the clip giving me a +1?

that is possible ..I believe the correct way to make it +1 is

1. insert fully loaded magazine and chamber a round.

2. eject magazine and add a round and re insert ..

this should help

Guest HexHead

Hmmm, loading a round directly into the chamber without using a magazine is not recommended for starters.

Since you're essentially getting stove pipes, I'm surprised no one else has asked this, but are you sure you're not limp wristing it? That you've got a good high hold on it?

Hmmm, loading a round directly into the chamber without using a magazine is not recommended for starters.

Since you're essentially getting stove pipes, I'm surprised no one else has asked this, but are you sure you're not limp wristing it? That you've got a good high hold on it?

I've never been accused of having a limp wrist, even at my age. :D

Seriously though... I don't get to the range as often as I should. But this happens too often for it to be grip error.

Guest bkelm18
Could it have something to do with my habit of loading a round into the chamber before inserting the clip giving me a +1?

As others have said, this is very hard on the extractor. This may be causing your problem. The best way to get a "+1" is to insert a loaded mag, chamber a round, eject the mag, top off the mag, then re-insert it.

• Administrator
BTW, if you are going to replace the extractor I would really recommend an Aftec extractor. The Ed Brown and Wilson are good too but the Aftec really eliminates the need for future tuning because of the design.

Aftec Advanced Competition Extractor

I'm no 1911 purist but there's no way I'd use that in a self-defense weapon. Gaming? Sure. If it eats cheese on a stage, no big deal... you just go home a loser that day. But if it does that during a self-defense situation, you might not go home that day at all.

K.I.S.S.

I'm no 1911 purist but there's no way I'd use that in a self-defense weapon. Gaming? Sure. If it eats cheese on a stage, no big deal... you just go home a loser that day. But if it does that during a self-defense situation, you might not go home that day at all.

K.I.S.S.

Well, in my experience they have proven to be WAY more reliable than any standard extractor that I have used through the years. After an extractor is made it will always want to go back to its original shape. So, if you have an extractor that when it is first dropped in, has the proper tension on it, it will run and run for a very long time. However, most all need some tweaking. And those will eventually get back to where they were originally after some time. The only way around this is to tune it and then temper it again. The aftec just doesn't need all that and just runs and runs as long as it is installed properly. I'll drop new springs in them between 5-10k but that is it. But to each their own.