Anyone use a BCBS uniflo powder measure

Finally reloaded my first 50rds of .40. My question is I measured out my powder in my uniflo. started charging my rds. after about 5 rds the charge kept creeping up in weight. Can't figure If its me or the unit. Rechecked the sclaes many times as well. If I can't trust it to be consistant than I might as well measure each by hand. What am I doing wrong?Hope this makes since. Even with all this and the time it took sure feels great to finally get started.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which metering insert are you using, the standard insert or the small one? And are you using a baffle? I don't have the RCBS measure, I have the Hornady. Two things that really improved my charge consistency with low weight powder loads were the addition of a baffle and buying the pistol rotor and metering insert for my measure. These two items might help with your problem. One other thing that won't cost anything is when you drop a charge, tap the handle a few times. This helps settle the powder down into the meter. I haven't used the RCBS measure, but when using my Hornady I let the handle drop when dropping a charge. Then I pull the handle up slightly and tap it back down a couple of times. Not only does this help to settle the next charge in the meter, it also dislodges any powder that may have stuck in the drop tube. Also, if you haven't already, make sure you completely disassemble your measure and clean and degrease it thoroughly.

Cliff

Finally reloaded my first 50rds of .40. My question is I measured out my powder in my uniflo. started charging my rds. after about 5 rds the charge kept creeping up in weight. Can't figure If its me or the unit. Rechecked the sclaes many times as well. If I can't trust it to be consistant than I might as well measure each by hand. What am I doing wrong?Hope this makes since. Even with all this and the time it took sure feels great to finally get started.

Got the same powder measure -- been using it 30 years or so. Have seen this a few times before. USMCJG's cleaning sugguestion is great, along with the baffle sugguestion.

Make sure you lock down the lock nut on the metering screw firmly when you set the measure. Also, keep a close eye on the "head" of powder in the powder reservoir. Try to keep it in the middle third of the measure if you can.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY