Kahr PM40 worth the $$$

lowbud

I have been looking for another carry pistol for a while and finally came across one of these locally for what I believe to be reasonable. $639 + tax + tics.

for those of you who already own one.. worth it or not?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Loaded247

I don't have one...I just bought a Kahr CW40. However, I want to get the Kahr MK40 (the all steel version of the PM40). My understanding is that they are GREAT guns...and well worth the money. However, you need to understand (and it is in their literature) that you need to put 200 rounds through the Kahrs to break them in.

I'm hoping to do some trading for an MK40 here pretty soon....

I just traded my PM9 for one a couple weeks ago, it was already broken in as it was used. I was a little concered about the recoil, but to me it is not much worse than the 9mm was. I really like the little gun when I need to deep conceal or occasionally carry a backup.

I will preface this by saying I have not owned any of the 40's but I have owned several of the 9 and 45 Kahrs. P series, PM series and K series. They have all been worth the money to me. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

If it had night sights at that price then yes, but I really like my keltec PF-9..

I didn't ask about the night sights. It's the stainless model is all I know. I'm going to pick it up on Saturday. My plan is to carry this and/or the P3AT as my full time carry guns.

I had the PF9 and didn't like the feel of it. Never had any issues with it I just didn't like it.

The reviews I have seen are mixed which is why I posted this. I sorta wanted some real life comments and not by someone who's promoting the brand. :D

I have been looking for another carry pistol for a while and finally came across one of these locally for what I believe to be reasonable. $639 + tax + tics.

for those of you who already own one.. worth it or not?

Absolutely worth it. I got mine from Carters in Chattanooga. After a month or so I got rid of 3 9mms I didn't carry any more. I carry it more than my G23 and have has zero problems with it. I paid about the same as you did.

Cherokee Slim

Guest Bluemax

I carry a Kahr MK40 but tried out the PM before I made my decision, They are both good guns, if the PM40 you are looking at has night sights then the price is in the right ballpark

I picked up the PM40 one day early and all I can say is WOW!

Fired 50 rounds of MagTech 180gr FMC (1 FTF) in the first 18 rounds then flawless for the remaining 32. I then pulled out the Speer 155gr GDHP and fired 40 flawless rounds.

I'm quite pleased with the recoil of the PM40. I had a kel-Tek PF9 and hated the recoil. I was afraid being such a small pistol in .40 the recoil would be as bad or possibly a little harsher then the kel-tek 9mm.

I found the PM40 quite pleasant to shoot. After 90 rounds in 30 or so minutes I felt like I could shoot 500 (if I had that many). It's also quite accurate. I was just popping coke cans around the yard at around 30 yards and was able to keep em jumping about quite well.

If things go well through the fist 200 (break-in) rounds, this baby will become my primary carry weapon when I find the right holster.

You will notice a fine black powder when you clean it the first few times. It's from the frame & slide fitting themselves. I called Kahr when mine did it and they told me it is normal and will quit after 200-300 rounds. It did and I've never had a FTF or FTE.

Cherokee Slim

Guest Loaded247

Cherokee, thanks for that little tidbit! I did in fact pick up a Kahr MK40 this past weekend. So, I have a CW40 and a MK40...both of which I will start to break in next week......

Guest Bluemax
Cherokee, thanks for that little tidbit! I did in fact pick up a Kahr MK40 this past weekend. So, I have a CW40 and a MK40...both of which I will start to break in next week......

Congratulations... now check oue Kahr's webpage and picture your new gun with a pair of wooden grips and one of the Mitch Rosen holsters they stock....They are sharp!!!

PM40 is my daily carry. It's quite a little handful, but I'm always pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots. I've also been pleased by the stock sights. I shoot it as well as any of my other handguns.

Enjoy!

PM_40.jpg

Guest icehead

I had a PM9 i bought new. It is a great gun if you get a good one. Mine had to be sent back to the factory for peening on the barrel. They filed it down and it improved, but it could not be trusted. I changed mags lube it to death and still would misfire from time to time. I carried one to a wedding IWB and I couldn't even tell i had it on. It got fixed again and I traded it for a G19. check your serial numbers for recalls and bad manufacture dates. The new ones coming out now are alot better.