Custom rifles I built.

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I recently graduated from Colorado school of trades for gunsmithing and these are some pics of some firearms I built while attending.

First up is a stock Remington 700 tacticool .308 win before.....

0919080852.jpg

And now after....

S6001681.jpg

S6001683.jpg

S6001682.jpg

S6001684.jpg

I kept the original barrel from factory because I saw no need to replace. I did thread the end for the flash hider (Vortex). Installed a Sako style extractor. Lapped lugs. Trued the action. Designed and built the oversized bolt knob. Installed an over sized recoil lug. Got a B&C stock and I duracoated this camo pattern. Bedded the recoil lug with dev-con. Parkerized the action/barrel, bolt knob. Blued the bolt body. Installed the accessories...scope,bipod,etc. And got this firearm out of a factory gun.

The proof is in the pudding...

0320090006.jpg

Another project was this Rem 788 in 22-250.....

before

S6001690.jpg

And after.....

S6001845.jpg

S6001850.jpg

S6001853.jpg

Installed an A&B barrel and rechambered it to 22-250 AI. Oversized recoil lug. Timney trigger because the factory one is horrible on this model rifle. MPI syn. thumbhole benchrest stock blank that I painted, inletted, bedded with dev-con. A Lot of work on this stock. Trued the receiver. On and on with this one. It is a punisher on the prairie dogs out here in CO where I'm currently at.

I have built many more and re-done/refinished many as well. I'm real found of bolt guns so I hope to make that my staple in this business.

Enjoy,

GT

Edited by GunTroll
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll
Very nice. How did you like the CO school of trades?

As with anything in life. Good and bad. If you go there with a goal or direction in gunsmithing (for me accurate bolt guns hunting/tactical/benchrest/varmint style(s) ) you can get a lot out of it. Got to take the good with the bad however. They claim to want their students to be general gunsmiths with a heavy emphasis on repairs. I like custom ground up builds. Not to say I can't do repairs but was told by some gunsmiths out there to be specialized in a specific field. For me thats custom builds.

Staff was great. Most are hired straight out from graduation. That way they get em' cheap. But some are real geniuses and have many years under their belt instructing and gunsmithing. Over all good school. Only 14 months straight with no breaks. Thats were they differ from community college type schools with a two year program.

Guest GunTroll

Here are a few other that I have refinished/modified/"pimped" up.

S6001835.jpg

S6001831.jpg

This S.Armory M1A I just painted,added a rail for the bi-pod,installed the cheek riser. Great gun!

This is a Llama 1911 in 9mm that a friend wanted to test me with . He wanted to see what I could do.....

Before.....

S6001674.jpg

S6001675.jpg

S6001676.jpg

S6001677.jpg

Very ugly beat up thing! Not a great gun anyways but my friend liked it and I treated it accordingly.

After.....

S6001730.jpg

S6001731.jpg

S6001734.jpg

S6001735.jpg

S6001736.jpg

I put new sights in. Grip safety, thumb safety,trigger,hammer,jeweled the barrel hood, bead blast blued, re-checkered the grips and re-finished them. replaced all the internal components. This was not a super easy 1911 to work on due to it being a Llama and most parts don't just "drop in". Well most don't in a 1911 anyways but this gun especially.

Guest GunTroll

Ha ha! I know what you mean. I cringe at the thought of re-finishing some firearms. Looses value and charm. Customer is always right and cash talks!

Guest GunTroll
Which rail did you use to mount the pod on the M1A?

GI stock or aftermarket?

Here is a picture of the one I went with. I just simply removed the front sling loop and installed this rail with sling loop. I did have to remove some material from the inside of the for-end to allow the op rod to move without contacting the screw heads.

I tried to find a link for you but it seems perhaps the company I bought it from isn't selling it anymore? Desert Warrior dot com is where I found it. After buying it I think I could have come up with a better idea on my own for less.

S6001824.jpg