Zastava handguns

Guest 44M

this guns are made in Serbia by "Zastava" and they are very cheap but I remember those guns being very good. Does anyone here owns one of those and what is your opinion about this guns?

ZA00045T-1.jpg

Zastava EZ40 NIB around $400

51921.jpg

Zastava M88 9mm NIB $260

Db

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this M88 model in 9mm, that is actualy a copy of Russian Tokarev (TT), for $260 may be the best deal for the buck on the market...

Db

here...

copied from AR15.Com

Frequently on these boards we see the request by a new shooter or potential gun owner for advice on purchasing this or that pistol. Frequently cost is a consideration and they are looking for a low cost option that will have the features they need to defend themselves in a bad situation. Invariably the advice is to save $$$ for a more expensive pistol when they think their only solution is high point or sub caliber. Well folks, I think I found a better way quite by accident today. I was walking a rifle I wanted to sell at the gunshow when I happened upon a table full of pistols of just about every stripe. Having no luck selling, I reasoned that trade might be in order. There it was, At $299 it was about what I wanted out of the rifle and I haggled a spare mag into the deal.

The Zastava M88A. Think of this as a baby Tokarev TT33 in 9mm luger. It is in fact an improved TT33. This model has an easy to use slide mounted safety that functions as a hammer block as well. The pistol is single action and designed to be carried cocked and locked. It is about the size of a Colt 1903 and has a 1911 grip angle. This pistol is all forged steel. It uses the browning link design and a full length steel guide rod. Takedown is simple ala Tokarev. The sights are quite useable but spartan with a simple three dot pattern. This pistol handles and points naturally. Magazines are 8 round capacity and there is a mag safety ( I don't like this feature, but others do ) it really makes little difference though for the civvy market.

The pistol is well made and well constructed. Certainly slightly rougher than western big name brands, but Zastava has been making pistols for over 100 years and has a good reputation for quality and reliability. I see no difference here. The owners manual is in English and is easy to read and understand. With a 3.6" barrel, the pistol is relatively compact, but large enough that most people will shoot it well and without finger hang issues. The mags are well constructed and look very Mec Gar in nature. EAA corp is the importer and services these pistols. I think one could do far worse for just under $300 and probably not much better for a 9mm auto pistol that is well made well finished and now proving to be very accurate.

Db

btw..he paid almost $300 for his, you can find these guns for around $220 NIB....now, if you can find a better deal please, I would love to know

Guest joeharris

I have a M-88 A, which i bought it at a show for $219. NIB 2 yrs. ago, it came with only 1 mag and a brush.

Could not find any mags anywhere, even EEA did not have any, then late last yr. EEA did get a bunch of mags in!

Great gun, a Baby Tok. my ser.no. is 00000X (below 4)!

The newer ones have an ugly scalloped type of thumb-rest on the grip panels.

The newer ones have an ugly scalloped type of thumb-rest on the grip panels

I know, I think they would look great with some Hogue wooden grips but not sure if Hogue makes grips for Zastava tho...

I think I`ll get me one of these.... :D

Db

Guest joeharris

Mine has the normal grips, i dont know the whole story on these guns, but they were sold first about 4-5 yrs. ago and then stopped abruptly, after i had bought mine and called everywhere, i was told this gun could and would not be imported anymore due to some internal problems in Serbia.

As well as the only way to get any mags is to have them smuggled over, but then 1 yr. later mags and i guess a few more guns came in, so i have 4 mags for it!

I love it, sometimes think about C Carry use, but never got around to it, and the M-88 A does seem to be very hard to find. It was not listed on EEA site unless they recently might have put it there!

Guest joeharris

My fav. Zastava is my Yugo M-57 Tok. got one in mint about 6 weeks ago, holds 1 more round than other Toks and has a longer grip, takes special mags, i have 2 and cant find any more, these guns are rare, only 4000. were imp. and the talk is that is it!

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/dow...1942&mode=view

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/dow...1940&mode=view

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/dow...1944&mode=view

Mine has the normal grips, i dont know the whole story on these guns, but they were sold first about 4-5 yrs. ago and then stopped abruptly, after i had bought mine and called everywhere, i was told this gun could and would not be imported anymore due to some internal problems in Serbia.

As well as the only way to get any mags is to have them smuggled over, but then 1 yr. later mags and i guess a few more guns came in, so i have 4 mags for it!

I love it, sometimes think about C Carry use, but never got around to it, and the M-88 A does seem to be very hard to find. It was not listed on EEA site unless they recently might have put it there!

Zastava makes great guns, their AK47`s are better quality than Rumanian,Chinese or any others...they also make great revolvers but I couldn`t find any of those here in US..they make everything from granate lounchers to ammo, they make all the military stuff for military. You had a problem finding mags and stuff because Serbia was in the war with Croatia and at that time there was probably some kind off sanctions in place by US , and of course US bombed Serbia to get Milosevic, wich worked out good, but that is the reason. They also make cars, Yugo was one of the models you may be familiar with, right now they have a deal with Fiat and they make Fiat Punto. I had Zastava handgun when I was a LEO in Zagreb and never had a problem with it. For $220 you can`t realy go wrong with M88 A I don`t know about a better deal on the nice 9mm handgun NIB.

Db

Guest ScottD
they make everything from granate lounchers to ammo

Db

A granite launcher!? Holy crap. Can you imagine a kitchen counter flying @ you @ 800FPS? :)

In Zagreb, they don't screw around with wimpy grenade launchers.

Zastava is located in Kragujevac, Serbia...Croats make their XD (HS2000) in Karlovac, about 50 miles from Zagreb....

Db

Guest kdpate

Question: Are these guns a former Soviet Military surplus due to them being so inexpensive?? Considering picking up a backup gun in the near futrure but don't want t spend alot of money on one....

Question: Are these guns a former Soviet Military surplus due to them being so inexpensive?? Considering picking up a backup gun in the near futrure but don't want t spend alot of money on one....

No, they are made in Kragujevac, Serbia. This is a very nice handgun that has more of 1911 feel than Zastava`s EZ series, wich is a Sig copy...I have never heared of anyone having any problems with those handguns, they seem to be quite reliable....don`t let the price fool you, that`s why I said, it is probably the best deal out there for a nice 9mm handgun, NIB for around $220... and other than a grip wich is plastic, the whole gun is made out of solid steel...

Db

Edited by 44M