Pics of M&P slide milled to accomodate a red dot optic

• Administrator

This is pretty cool. Even more cool is that the DR optic actually has a sight channel milled into it so that you can use it as a backup iron sight as well. The whole thing reminds me a lot of the new FN .45 that includes a red dot from the factory.

mp9mm002.jpg

mp9mm013.jpg

mp9mm003.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really like the idea of a red dot on a pistol, thanks for the link

I used to like the idea of a red dot on a pistol.

Years ago, I bought a Tasco Optima 2000 which, I think, is pretty much the same thing as the Docter sight. I mounted it on an H&K USP45.

That thing was great in indoor lighting. In dim light, it was fantastic. In very bright sunlight, the dot was visible, but a bit washed out.

But in the dark, surprisingly, it kind of sucked. If you were unable to see the gun, you could point it, but it might not be aligned with your eye. Because of the sight's small window, and because you're holding that window out at arm's length, there is a very narrow cone of visibility in which you are able to see the red dot. If your eye isn't within that cone, you have to wiggle the gun around until you find it.

This may not seem like a big deal at the range, but if you find yourself in a situation where you have to be moving in the dark while pointing your pistol, it's trouble. Your eye will not stay within that cone of visibility while you move.

Turning on a light, like a weapon-mounted flashlight, would help, but keeping that light on just so you can keep your sight picture could cause a different set of problems.

Me? I eBayed the Tasco, put on a set of XS Big Dot 24/7s, and left the red dots to my long guns.

Guest JHatmaker

That's what I wanted to do to my Glock, mount it directly to the slide. Check out the lastes Guns and Ammo or American HandGunner, they show a new prototype XDM with the same setup. Pretty sweet!

Dude, you're killing me! I'm a huge fan of all things red-dot, and I've been kicking around the idea of putting a mini on my G29. My biggest concern was concealment (especially with a mount), but after seeing how nicely that thing sits on the Smith with the milled slide, I'm getting that awful itch. Darn you, David! Darn you to heck!

Oh, and exactly how much milling are we talking about here?

• Administrator
Dude, you're killing me! I'm a huge fan of all things red-dot, and I've been kicking around the idea of putting a mini on my G29. My biggest concern was concealment (especially with a mount), but after seeing how nicely that thing sits on the Smith with the milled slide, I'm getting that awful itch. Darn you, David! Darn you to heck!

Oh, and exactly how much milling are we talking about here?

Contact David Bowie over at Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page and inquire about it. He did the above M&P and can probably do the same for your Glock.

Contact David Bowie over at Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page and inquire about it. He did the above M&P and can probably do the same for your Glock.
Looks like it's $175 for the millwork, plus the cost of the optic. Gen. 4 3.5 MOA Docters are apparently going for about $425, if you can find 'em in stock. Geez. Why did I have to open this thread? If I were working like I'm supposed to be, this would've never happened... :cheers:
  • Administrator
Looks like it's $175 for the millwork, plus the cost of the optic. Gen. 4 3.5 MOA Docters are apparently going for about $425, if you can find 'em in stock. Geez. Why did I have to open this thread? If I were working like I'm supposed to be, this would've never happened... :)

That's really not a bad price if he also re-finishes the slide so that it won't corrode where the milling was done.

This is pretty cool. Even more cool is that the DR optic actually has a sight channel milled into it so that you can use it as a backup iron sight as well. The whole thing reminds me a lot of the new FN .45 that includes a red dot from the factory.

mp9mm002.jpg

Just an FYI, that's actually a Trijicon red dot, and not a Docter. The Docter's--even though they are more expensive--actually DO NOT have the backup rear sight. The only reason I realized this was because I e-mailed David Bowie (God, I love that name), and he essentially dressed me down for inquiring about putting a Docter on a fighting gun...lol. When I came back to look more closely at the pics, there is indeed a Trijicon logo on the sight (not an owl, which is the Docter logo).

Anyway, long story short, the $175 does not include refinishing, but he said most folks do not refinish the slide since the only milled spot is under the sight. He will mill for both Trijicons and J-Points.

I am still strongly considering this, although I'd hate to be without my EDC for 16 weeks. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...