septic tanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to pump your tank no matter what you use, Rid ex is junk, I used it every month when I got my new house here and still had to have it pumped after only 3 or 4 years. The septic man told me to buy cultured buttermilk and pour down the drain, works better than any commercial product and is cheaper to boot.

Guest m&pc9

The way I understand it is if your field drain is correct and septic system is good, You shouldnt need to pump it. I have lived in my house about 10 years now and never had it pumped. Also the anti-bacterial soap, I had a septic guy tell me that a few years ago and I searched it on the interweb and it said that the soap is not strong enough to kill your septic bacteria.

. . . The septic man told me to buy cultured buttermilk and pour down the drain, works better than any commercial product and is cheaper to boot.

That's what I do, but I make the buttermilk into biscuits and pass 'em through my alimentary canal first.

With proper care and feeding, septic systems should last indefinitely.

Excessive amounts of anti-bacterials, bleach, etc.are BAD. Normal use OK, just don't empty whole bottles down the drain.

Certain personal hygiene products, even if "flushable" or "safe for septic" can clog up the works - BAD.

Charmin is notorious for clogs in septic systems - BAD. The septic people I know recommend White Cloud.

(BTW, "wadders" use more paper than "folders" - also BAD.)

Buttermilk, soured milk, sour cream, yeast, all GOOD - that stuff all goes down the drain at our house. Commercial products such as Rid-X (and much cheaper alternatives!) are GOOD, and don't necessarily have to be used every month.

My :D worth - or is that :(:poop: ?

"Sure enough it is about 6 inches from backing into the housebound pipe. Caught this baby just in time, surely within a couple of months I would have had big time pooh issues."

6 inches is the normal operating level... If you don't go crazy with paper, use a garbage disposal, or put much food grease down the sink, you can go MANY years without needing the tank pumped. (I ran a pumper truck for several years)

Guest 70below

Man this thread stinks (pun intended) :woohoo::poop::poop::poop::cheers::D

I've know people that have needed to pump their tanks every other year, and some who never pumped it in 20 years. A lot of it has to do with soil type and drainage of the field, with some good "health" of the tank.

I think having it pumped every 5-6 years is good insurance considering what it costs. Nothing worse that being backed up in the house or a flooded yard.

Guest SUNTZU
so all you guys on city sewer are paying around 30 bucks a month for that service?

Thats a lot of cash over 6 or 7 years.

Actually, Mike, my reply was to make you feel like you were ripped off. I made the number up. $200 is a pretty good deal. I've seen others pay around $250 to $300.

Man this thread stinks (pun intended) :):poop::poop::poop::D :D

I've know people that have needed to pump their tanks every other year, and some who never pumped it in 20 years. A lot of it has to do with soil type and drainage of the field, with some good "health" of the tank.

I think having it pumped every 5-6 years is good insurance considering what it costs. Nothing worse that being backed up in the house or a flooded yard.

Yeah I think someone is getting fed a load of :poop: I have lived in houses that have been around 10-20 years without a pump out. Theres stuff you dump in the toilet every month to eat the crap. Geeze , we need some of that here.

Guest 3pugguy
Yeah I think someone is getting fed a load of :D I have lived in houses that have been around 10-20 years without a pump out. Theres stuff you dump in the toilet every month to eat the crap. Geeze , we need some of that here.

"Theres stuff you dump in the toilet every month to eat the crap. Geeze , we need some of that here."

Amen...

Guest Britestar

The house I grew up in, I lived there 18 years and never had the tank pumped according to my dad and he sold it two years later never having pumped it, The fact is in all the homes I have lived in (all in the sticks) I have yet to have to have a tank pumped. As gunslinger said, if your drainfield (leechfield) is working properly you won't have a problem and it is normal for the level to be high as that is where the outflow is located, Ridx is good because it adds a bacteria that helps consume the .....well you know. Maybe differnt where you are, just they way it has been where I have lived.

Guest Major Pain

Owned and operated my septic service truck for last 20 years, sold 4 months ago. If you let your tank go unpumped for 15 or 20 years when you do pump it your field lines will probably be ruined. In my area that runs about $7 dollars a foot installed. The inspector will usually recommend at least 200' and can require 100' per bedroom in your house according to how the ground perks. Cheaper to pump every 5 or 6 years and not have the hassle of digging up the yard to fix lines and deal with health inspectors.--MP

For the record, Pooh is a bear, B-E-A-R, bear. NOT to be confused with this -> :). This has many names, pooh or poo is not one of them.

My wife once said to one of my girls, while changing her diaper, "OOOH!! did you POO???". "What did you say :confused:" I asked. "I just asked her if she pooed..". And poo is??? "This.." she replied pointing :wall:. Umm... No, I'd say that's good ol' country dump right there. And why are you calling it "poo". "Well, it doesn't sound so bad that way...". No, I said, it sounds all sweet & charming. You gonna pick it up & hug it???? Well, it went down hill from there.

But, I think the real fact of the matter is, it's a politically correct, feminine conspiracy to further domesticate the male of the species. When was the last time you looked at your buddy and said "Aww man, I'll be right back, I got to go take a POO!!!" Think about it guys....

Now, that I feel all liberated, I think I'll go take a big ol' DUMP in her make-up kit...:D

Guest tedbo
For the record, Pooh is a bear, B-E-A-R, bear. NOT to be confused with this -> :). This has many names, pooh or poo is not one of them.

My wife once said to one of my girls, while changing her diaper, "OOOH!! did you POO???". "What did you say :confused:" I asked. "I just asked her if she pooed..". And poo is??? "This.." she replied pointing :wall:. Umm... No, I'd say that's good ol' country dump right there. And why are you calling it "poo". "Well, it doesn't sound so bad that way...". No, I said, it sounds all sweet & charming. You gonna pick it up & hug it???? Well, it went down hill from there.

But, I think the real fact of the matter is, it's a politically correct, feminine conspiracy to further domesticate the male of the species. When was the last time you looked at your buddy and said "Aww man, I'll be right back, I got to go take a POO!!!" Think about it guys....

Now, that I feel all liberated, I think I'll go take a big ol' DUMP in her make-up kit...:D

That cracked me up!!!!

Guest gunslinger707
For the record, Pooh is a bear, B-E-A-R, bear. NOT to be confused with this -> :bow:. This has many names, pooh or poo is not one of them.

My wife once said to one of my girls, while changing her diaper, "OOOH!! did you POO???". "What did you say :confused:" I asked. "I just asked her if she pooed..". And poo is??? "This.." she replied pointing :up:. Umm... No, I'd say that's good ol' country dump right there. And why are you calling it "poo". "Well, it doesn't sound so bad that way...". No, I said, it sounds all sweet & charming. You gonna pick it up & hug it???? Well, it went down hill from there.

Guy's i tried to raise him better,HONESTLY i did!!!!!!:wall::wall::wall::(