North Korea and Iran (re: Nuclear Weapons)

Guest 44M

about Iran and N.Korea getting nuclear weapons...? can we stop them? how? is there anything we can actually do or just wait and see?

Db

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy
about Iran and N.Korea getting nuclear weapons...? can we stop them? how? is there anything we can actually do or just wait and see?

Db

Try to get the powerful neighbors, China for N Korea and the Saudis and other Gulf State powers for Iran, to engage and keep their close neighbors in check. Japan and South Korea can also play a role. Moderates in Iran, of which there seem (based on reports with the recent "elections") are there and if they get a chance, will likely steer the country to a moderate path.

Short of some surgical strike by the Israeli AF on Iran (risky for many reasons), there is not another viable option in my opinion for Iran. Look at the Iraq-Iran war (when Saddam was our buddy for those with short memories - my first trip to the garden spot known as the Persian Gulf) and how long and drawn out that was - and they were fighting "locally".

Invading or a military option for N Korea also seems a non-starter and I think we need to let others in theater play a role. It serves no one in Asia for a madman in N Korea to have a WMD.

Just one old retired sailor's opinion...

Try to get the powerful neighbors, China for N Korea and the Saudis and other Gulf State powers for Iran, to engage and keep their close neighbors in check.

Just one old retired sailor's opinion...

I heard something about N.Korea getting 90% of their energy from China and if we can get China on our side we may be able to do something...

Db

Db

Great question. It might just be best to tell them to just be careful with them and not let them go off anywhere that's posted as a "No Hunting Zone." My intuition is that Israel will take care of Iran; and that China (China with a simple word, because they cant afford a nut ruining their foreign trade) or Japan (Because Japan sees North Korea as a genuine regional threat) may well take care of N, Korea.

God has truly allowed us to live in very interesting times.

Kind regards,

LEROY

The problem with N Korea is China is using them as a buffer against us. It is a way to undermine and open another front and allow them deniability. NK does not exist without China. It also allows them to keep pressure on Japan and Tawain so that China can dominate the region. To take care of NK you have to go to war against China and no one wants that. It is a chess game for the ages miltarily and diplomacy speaking.

Iran is different. They are backed by Russia (mainly) and can be dealt with since Russia and other Europeans countries supporting her behind the curtains can not afford a direct or indirect conflict (they are currently engaged in that in Iraq) and will probably bow out if all out war happened. The Israleis dealt with Saddams threat by simply sending one bomber to take out their facilities. Game over. We can do that easily with Iran but we (US) would have to deal with even more Arab ire. The best way is to let loose the Israelis and let them take care of their own buisness and let us hold the secondaries at bay.

once all of those guys have a nuclear capabilities, war option is pretty much out of the picture...since we all know if we send a nuke to NK they wont wait for a second before they send couple back to us...so, the time to take care of that problem is now before they get their nukes ready...and I`m affraid we are running out of time...

Db

Guest 3pugguy
I heard something about N.Korea getting 90% of their energy from China and if we can get China on our side we may be able to do something...

Db

That would be my best thought on getting them in check.

activation of an organization that does not exsist and take out both of them (leaders that is)

well, I guess that would be one option if everything else fail...

Db

Guest justme

Db

You cannot stop North Korea from getting what they already have...and it is obvious that they have many more than the US estimated--because the original estimation was that the North Koreans could have at most 3 nuclear weapons...they have already proven they have more than that.

The question now is--will we push the North Koreans to the wall and leave them no choice but to drop the bomb? If they do drop the bomb--say one on Tokyo, another on Seoul and maybe one on the mainland US or Hawaii--the results of that would not be pretty to say the least--and even if the DPRK is annhilated in a massive nuclear counter strike-the North will still win--because they think in terms of generations ahead, not in terms of a year or 5 years--but multiple generations....

As for Iran--it is their national decision as to whether they want nuclear power. There is no evidence that they are wanting nuclear weapons.

And even if they did want nuclear weapons--Israel is more than capable of taking care of a nuclear Iran....

Guest justme
kill 'em all let god sort 'em out

how exactly? Kim Jong-Il is already paranoid--do you have any idea what would happen if the DPRK did drop a nuke on Tokyo, or Seoul?

If the North Koreans came across the dmz--they would push the 28k US troops into the sea...you would have to literally destroy the South Korean cities to dislodge the enemy...you would be fighting house to house and street to street--and if you think we have lost people in Iraq--a war with North Korea is going to be very bloody for both sides...remember, the US fought them for 3 years and essentially lost--and our side alone lost 53,000+ men, and that is not counting British, Greek, and South Korean losses....and if you think China would stay sidelined--don't count on it...if nothing else they could use that as a way to take back Taiwan in the process....and if they used nuclear weapons.....

Edited by justme
Guest justme
activation of an organization that does not exsist and take out both of them (leaders that is)

and in doing so you run the risk of a third nation doing exactly the same thing to our leaders..

As for Iran--it is their national decision as to whether they want nuclear power. There is no evidence that they are wanting nuclear weapons.

And even if they did want nuclear weapons--Israel is more than capable of taking care of a nuclear Iran....

You just keep opening your mouth to remove the doubt..... Iran has stated numerous times they desire a bomb. There is nothing Israel can do after the fact.

Guest justme
You just keep opening your mouth to remove the doubt..... Iran has stated numerous times they desire a bomb. There is nothing Israel can do after the fact.

so provide me the link showing that Iran has said they want a nuclear weapon.

I have seen NUMEROUS times though that they have said their nuclear technology is to provide energy for their nation....

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-09/09/content_6693834.htm

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1090740.html

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article22699.htm

As for what Israel can and cannot do--it is a known fact, although the Israeli government denies it--that they have nuclear weapons...seems to me they could turn the major cities in the middle east into glass and in a hurry...what happens after that is up for grabs...

Edited by justme
Guest jth_3s

Iran's getting bombed... its just a matter of time.

I fear you're right. Israel will drag us into WWIII. Sadly we will back them no matter what they do.

how exactly?

the US has enough bombs to level half of asia and probably more. get rid of what you dont want/need and be done with it, no need for ground troops to even set their feet down on asian soil.

and in doing so you run the risk of a third nation doing exactly the same thing to our leaders..

you talk like this is a bad thing...