Striker or Hammer

jimic

I am looking of a little help.

When discussing semiauto handguns i see Stricker and Hammer discussed.

I understand there is a deference. is there an advantage or preference as for a carry pistol?

thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest foister82

i think the only preference is personal. Would you rather use a glock type weapon or a 1911 type weapon? As long as they hit the primer theres not much difference in function as far as i can see anyway

Guest SUNTZU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

There are two primary types of striking mechanisms, hammers and strikers. Hammers are spring-tensioned masses of metal that pivot on a pin when released and strike a firing pin to discharge a cartridge. Strikers are, essentially, spring-loaded firing pins that travel on an axis in-line with the cartridge eliminating the need for a separate hammer.
Guest foister82

i think the biggest pull for hammer fired is that it's "old faithful - tried and true"

To me it's more of a choice between Pepsi and Coke. All a matter of preference

The main difference I think is the trigger. Typically a hammer is going to have a stronger spring to work against. The double action trigger pull will be heavier and longer plus the trigger is farther forward in the guard. Then each subsequent shot will be a shorter lighter pull because the hammer has already been cocked by the slide. Of course this is for DA/SA pistols. Double Action Only will have the longer, heavier pull for each shot.

It's been my experience that the trigger with a striker has a springier feel to it and not nearly as sharp of a break. A lot of striker fired weapons are like a single action revolver - you have to cock it for each shot by working the slide, however, some like the Taurus Millenium Pro series are a true DAO that allow you to fire the gun without working the slide allowing you a second attempt at a round that does not fire the first time.

Go out and try both at the range to see what you like. Pulling the trigger at the counter won't tell you much, especially if you've never experienced it with a live round.