Do you care where your guns are made?

My first concern is not jobs. The best way to keep a job in this country is for the company to apply innovation and create a unique, quality product at a fair price. If I buy something from a US company for any other reason, I view it as a bit stupid.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, those of you that are "Buy American" won't ever own an HK if given the opportunity?

I wouldn’t and I have had plenty of opportunity to do so. Now, don’t take that as a slam against the HK’s quality; it is not meant that way.

When I was trying to trade my Kimber SIS Ultra I had several offers of HK’s, Sigs and most everything else. I just don’t need them; I have American made product every bit as good as they are.

My last gun purchase was from Joe for $1100. It all stayed here. He took what he needed and the rest went to Springfield MA. That’s a lot better deal for all of us than it going to Croatia by way of Illinois.

I'd rather give it to Croatia than Ted Kennedy! :poop: J/K......... sort of.

I wonder how long this will take to descend into a "Even though I asked the question I'm going to just berate everyone who doesn't agree with me" thread?

And I wonder why you haven’t been banned for taking a dump in other people’s threads. If you can’t carry on a conversation; don’t post. :poop:

And I wonder why you haven’t been banned for taking a dump in other people’s threads. If you can’t carry on a conversation; don’t post. :poop:

I stated my opinion, I was just politely commenting on your pleasant demeanor and general "stir crap uppery", but I still love you. :D

I think I'm not banned, btw, because dog gone it people like me.

I'll actually even get us back on topic. Buy American IS a good thing and I would rather spend a few extra bucks on a small business owner than I would a big corporate company. Especially when it comes to items I can have shipped.

I really think Dave that you and I agree more than it would appear through the constant sniping, but I just don't follow the theories and rhetoric about this issue that you do. My personal beliefs that the major corporations GM,Chrysler,etc have caused their own downfall and not us or any other car manufacturer.

If you notice the firearms industry is doing extremely well and I think, for the most part, that it is still an American stronghold. I think db99wj's post was pretty well put as well. Just because something is put together overseas there are still alot of American's making money on it.

I try to buy American , but I am like most of the guys here, if it suits my need I buy that weapon . 1/2 of my guns are american made . But remember alot of these so called euro companies have a large assembly and distribution plants such as , Glock , FN, EAA, Taurus and so on so these companies do hire American workers . The labor unions would tear up these gun companies just like GM,and Chrysler. IMO

Guest db99wj
So you do care about jobs in your country; or was that just a trivial afterthought?

No… last I checked we depend on the U.S. economy. Pick up a newspaper or go to your favorite news site. How’s the whole “Global Economy†thing working out for us?

On a side note, I do prefer to buy my guns and whatnot from my local dealers and manufacturers. I want to support them, so we have a strong economy and gun makers in this country. And saving a buck or two on a gun is not worth the alternative.

I want it all. I want my kids and grandkids to enjoy the lifestyle (or better) that I have enjoyed. My last gun purchase was from Joe for $1100. It all stayed here. He took what he needed and the rest went to Springfield MA. That’s a lot better deal for all of us than it going to Croatia by way of Illinois.

Trivial after thought that I care about jobs in this country? You comment makes no sense. I never once stated that I didn't care about jobs in my country, nor was it brought up as a trivial afterthought. Not sure of your comment here.

If you think the U.S. economy is not dependent on the global economy then you need to research some more. We are one of the largest parts of the global economy and our issues have had significant consequences on a worldwide basis, positive and negative.

Great, I am buying my AR, part of it through a Florida company, part of it through a North Carolina company. My local range couldn't get them or any part of them when I ordered it, but I did use them as a FFL for the transfer. All of has been manufactured in the U.S. Mine is over half of what you spent, mine is still significant.

Did you ever look around your desk? If you are so hell bent on using only U.S. made parts, please log off and get rid of your computer, get rid of that phone, don't watch any TV, because, I would be willing to bet that there are parts that were made, there were components that were made somewhere else besides the U.S. Call Customer Service and ask where the parts were made, hope you understand broken English from the Indian cs representative.

I believe my previous post and this one are very clear.

I was going to comment on that, but I’m not sure I understand.

You are too busy or you are just too important to care about such minor things as….. your country’s economy?

Obviousy you dont understand. So let me help you. I wont buy a POS made in America just because it is made in America.

Ruger revolver and rifle

Remington rifle and shotgun

Kahr pistol

Hi-Point rifle and pistol

Cobra derringer

Mossberg rifle made in Brazil

Two Springfield pistols made in Croatia

I'm glad a lot of them are 'Mericun made, but I didn't buy them because they were.

- OS

Guest 3pugguy
Anyone that knows me knows I do. :D

I am proud to say that I don’t buy foreign guns unless they have historical military value. In my guns that I carry and use I have just never needed to; American manufacturers produce anything I want.

I do my best to buy my guns from local (usually dealers that support this forum) dealers and buy guns that were made in American by Americans.

Lately though it is getting harder and harder to find out where the guns are made. I feel like the American companies that want us to buy their products have turned their back on us. They are trying to market foreign manufactured guns as their own.

I understand that some companies have done this to be able to stay in business. But they have a responsibility to tell us what we are buying. If we think we are buying American made from SA, Remington or others; that is what we should get.

There are all different types on this forum and as I read and participate in the discussions I see that many here have much different passions when it comes to guns. This is one of mine.

Discuss. :)

I don't really care, as when I started looking for something a bit more carry friendly (my trusty Ruger P89 gets a little heavy after a bit), I thought of a Springfield XD, as they get such great user reports (not gun mag, but real guys and gals like on here).

But, one's I looked at are not 100% USA made, so went with the Glock - figured if getting something not USA, Glock had a good rep and it fit me well (still will give Springfield a hard look when I save up enough for a 1911).

I feel the same as you on buying local and supporting the gun shops in our area (and for other things, too, for what it's worth).

Good post and will likely get lots of discussion.

This argument is like the old argument, I wont buy a Toyota cause its not American , but its made here by Americans, but the money goes to Japan along with the incentives to build it. So who wins ? Totally irrelevant where a thing is made unless ALL the proceeds stay in America. From what some have said here if the worst gun made was made here you would still trust your life to it?:)