How Many "Concealed" Guns Did You See Before...

I got to thinking yesterday that during the long years before I got into the shooting sports again, I can't remember seeing a SINGLE person carrying a "concealed" handgun that became apparent, either through printing or a lifted shirt or whatever. And I'm a very observant person.

That's a statement to how well concealed permit holders do a fine job of blending in and not drawing attention to themselves.

How many "concealed" handguns can you remember seeing out in public before you started looking for them?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can say ive never noticed anyone who was actually trying to conceal. one time i thought i saw someone trying to conceal a very large gun, looked like a BP pistol from pirates of the carribbean, but he was in a pawn shop and just had it tucked in his jacket waiting to trade it in.

seen a couple OC'ing but thats it

• Administrator

I can't think of any other than the few open-carry folks. Open carry has always been legal without a permit in my home state of Kentucky, so I remember seeing a few folks up there doing it. Mostly farmers.

I think it's proof that the only person likely to notice your handgun "printing" beneath a shirt is another person carrying concealed. Sometimes we are a little more observant than the other folks out there. The majority of people going about their daily lives, not carrying themselves, probably don't even notice the slight bulge in your shirt. And even if they do, they probably don't know what they are seeing.

Okey & I both got fooled by a guy that was in our shop one day.

As he was leaveing we noticed a buldge under his shirt & told him if he was trying to hide that he was not doing a good job at all!

He turned around kinda surprised looking & grined, You mean this note book in the small of my back? Sure enough he had a notebook.

So you just can't always be sure of yourself on a buldge!

After that he informed us that he had a pistol on his side that we didn't notice at all.

Yup he got us!:)

I've never seen one before or after I started carrying. Those first weeks of carrying after I got my permit I was very aware of anyone that might notice. Not that it mattered since I was legally carrying but I guess I was just wanting to be sure that I was doing a good job of CC'ing. I also was looking to see if I spotted anyone else carrying.

I read on a forum somewhere, it may have been here, that a guy said that if anyone asked him about the bulge on his belt he would answer that it was a colostomy bag and would ask if they wanted to see it! I can't swear that was true but I always thought that if anyone ever asked that I would use that answer.

i've never noticed anyone carrying a firearm. was told yesterday that only 2% of the population of TN have a HCP, don't know how true this is. if this is the case the ones with their HCP are few and far between.

I guess we will see about that in October!! :):)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/21800-feedback-needed-inaugural-tennessee-gun-owners-statewide-conference.html

I still don't notice them. I tend to pay more attention to eyes and hands when out in public.

I was out with a friend a few months ago and she noticed a guy printing about 3 feet from me. She doesn't carry, but several people in her life do including me. I would never have seen it if she didn't point it out to me.

But, of course, I don't go around looking for dudes' bulges. :)

my HCP class instuctor told me this. he said to get as many people as i could to get theirs because "we" needed a stronger voice. i have no idea what the population of Tn is but 2% would be a large amount of people, but wouldn't it be better if the percentage was more like 50%.

Edited by brooksjr
I've never seen one before or after I started carrying. Those first weeks of carrying after I got my permit I was very aware of anyone that might notice. Not that it mattered since I was legally carrying but I guess I was just wanting to be sure that I was doing a good job of CC'ing. I also was looking to see if I spotted anyone else carrying.

I read on a forum somewhere, it may have been here, that a guy said that if anyone asked him about the bulge on his belt he would answer that it was a colostomy bag and would ask if they wanted to see it! I can't swear that was true but I always thought that if anyone ever asked that I would use that answer.

I've seen that qoted elsewhere. Funny line. You could always just say medical device.

I've only noticed 1 guy carrying and the way he was printing I think it might have been an AR. :lol:

Okey & I both got fooled by a guy that was in our shop one day.

As he was leaveing we noticed a buldge under his shirt & told him if he was trying to hide that he was not doing a good job at all!

He turned around kinda surprised looking & grined, You mean this note book in the small of my back? Sure enough he had a notebook.

So you just can't always be sure of yourself on a buldge!

He'd probably gone through the training and gotten a NCP (Notebook Concealed Permit). To be safe, you really need to post your establishment. Something like a notebook in a circle, with a big slash through it. :lol:

I have seen two people since I got my HCP and zero before.

The two that I saw were by accident as I wasn't really trying to spot anyone. One was a ankle rig and it showed when he sat down and crossed his other leg. The other was while I was sitting in a drug store waiting on a perscription. I just happened to be in the perfect position (sitting and to his right) when he swept his shirt back while replacing his wallet showing his 1911 IWB.

I think people see what they want to see. With PDA's and all kinds of do everything big phones strapped to peoples sides these days I think most non HCP holders just don't give it a second thought.

i've never noticed anyone carrying a firearm. was told yesterday that only 2% of the population of TN have a HCP, don't know how true this is. if this is the case the ones with their HCP are few and far between.

According to my math, it's probably closer to 3.5%. Wikipedia has the 2008 population for TN at 6,214,888. One of the articles in the CA about the restaurant carry bill said there were about 220,000 people in the state with permits.

With that said, it looks like it depends on the area you are in as well. I saw an article yesterday (Carry Concealed) that claimed Sullivan county had issued over 15,000 in the previous three year period. Assuming those numbers are correct, that would be about 10% - not counting those who had permits from previous years that had not yet come up for renewal (two more years worth, based on the five year validity of the permit).

So, this would imply that Sullivan county could be 15%+ of total population. If we were to factor out those under 21, we might even be talking about 20% of adults in the county having their permit! :lol:

According to my math, it's probably closer to 3.5%. Wikipedia has the 2008 population for TN at 6,214,888. One of the articles in the CA about the restaurant carry bill said there were about 220,000 people in the state with permits.

With that said, it looks like it depends on the area you are in as well. I saw an article yesterday (Carry Concealed) that claimed Sullivan county had issued over 15,000 in the previous three year period. Assuming those numbers are correct, that would be about 10% - not counting those who had permits from previous years that had not yet come up for renewal (two more years worth, based on the five year validity of the permit).

So, this would imply that Sullivan county could be 15%+ of total population. If we were to factor out those under 21, we might even be talking about 20% of adults in the county having their permit! :lol:

as of Dec. 31 2008 there were 217,975 HCP( http://legallyarmed.com/resources/tnstats2008.htm ) holders in the state. which is right at the 3.5% you mentioned. i'm sure there are many more HCP holders now and like you said if you take out the under 21 crowd the percentage goes way up.

Edited by brooksjr

You know what might be a fun contest some day at a get together is this. Have 10 members up front, 5 with and 5 without. They each have to walk back and forth once at the front. The one who guesses the most accurately in the crowd wins something.

Guest Smitty

I've never seen anyone conceal carry since I've been carrying. I've only seen one person open carry, but he was my instructor for the safety class and one of the co-owners of guns and leather I do believe.

my HCP class instucter told me this. he said to get as many people as i could to get theirs because "we" needed a stronger voice. i have no idea what the population of Tn is but 2% would be a large amount of people, but wouldn't it be better if the percentage was more like 50%.

I believe it's closer to 4% per Senator Jackson's speech right before the Senate voted to override the Governors veto.

We have a fellow in town who told someone who asked that it was a "medical device", as he looked at the floor for added affect.

"Wikipedia has the 2008 population for TN at 6,214,888. One of the articles in the CA about the restaurant carry bill said there were about 220,000 people in the state with permits."

With these statistics, that means roughly 1 in 28 people have permits. I use this with antigunners when asking them how many people at any given time are in Wal Mart when you go there? They answer maybe 300. Then I say, well guess what. That means statistically that there are about 10 people there that are carrying when you go there.