Carry in restaurants in Texas

Guest lci419

Guest lci419

Hey all,

Anyone on here from Texas or go there quite a bit? I ask because I have been going down that way every couple of months and have a restaurant question.

I was in Houston last weekend and at a couple of different restaurants that also serve alcohol. Now as I understand it, if I am not allowed to carry there, the place must prominently post the famous "30.06" sign. But I'm unclear if the place "has" to have such. The places I went had no evidence of the "30.06" sign, but did have a notice (both places had identical signs) on a standard 8.5 X 11 sheet stating "no guns, etc., etc." and the document was seemingly issued by some Texas Restaurant Board or something like that.

Overall, I guess my question is, am I good to go if there is no "30.06" sign, or does this other notice carry legal weight as well?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK and according to Handgunlaw.us carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is legal in Texas. However any place that gets 51% or more of it's income from the sale of alcoholic beverages is off-limits.

It does says that public and private property owners (that aren't already off-limits by statute and a few that are) are required to post a 30.06 sign to prohibit carry.

So long story short to answer your question, unless the restaurant has posted an actual 30.06 sign, you are good to go.

Guest lci419

Thanks Fallguy. That's kinduv what my understanding was, but I just wanted validation. I did a scan of both places I went and didn't see the "30.06" sign. Quite frankly, even the notices I did see, I REALLY had to look to find. One was at this artsy fartsy breakfast sandwich/fancy coffee place that had a bar set up for evening service as well, but appeared to primarily serve breakfast and the coffee. The sign wasn't on or near the door, but behind the cashier's counter along with the typical, building capacity, business license, "our first dollar" signs. The other was a local Mexican restaurant that had a bar in it (think Las Palmas), and was situated by the hostess station also mixed among the business license etc., etc. I went ahead and carried, but deliberately avoided the bar areas, got out as quickly as possible, and sweated the whole time I was there. Glad to see my anxiety was unfounded.

I understand....lol

When I was in Houston a couple of years ago I did see an actual 30.06 sign at a nursing home. There was no mistaking what it was and it was VERY EASY to notice.

In fact I wish TN posting notices were more like TX 30.06 signs as far as wording and size.

You really shouldn't have to worry about whether a posting meets the legal requirements of 39-17-1359 or not...especially since violation is a criminal act.