AR-15 Jam

Anyone ever have the Winchester Varmint .223 jam in a AR-15? I've had a case stuck before using Wolf once (my buddy 6-7 times) but I had a bullet jam 3 times today down near the muzzle break.

The gun smith said it was probably the ammo. When I got home I did measure a few and they were all .2235-.225. My Remington rounds were all .222-.223.

Not sure if this was an ammo problem or gun???

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Let me get this straight, the round fired and the bullet got stuck in the muzzle brake? The muzzle brake being the odd looking thing stuck on the end of the barrel as its pointed downrange?

If that's what happening you have underpowered rounds, or maybe they forgot the powder altogether. Lol, thats from airplane. .2235 to .225 ain't gonna do much except make them inaccurate.

Seriously, if you have fired rounds sticking in the barrel or getting stuck in the break, thats a serious problem and you need to report it to the maker. If you get one stuck where it seems its getting stuck at and you fire a 2nd shot, thats the end of your barrel and probably your whole AR. Sometimes called a squib.

Let me get this straight, the round fired and the bullet got stuck in the muzzle brake? The muzzle brake being the odd looking thing stuck on the end of the barrel as its pointed downrange?

If that's what happening you have underpowered rounds, or maybe they forgot the powder altogether. Lol, thats from airplane. .2235 to .225 ain't gonna do much except make them inaccurate.

Seriously, if you have fired rounds sticking in the barrel or getting stuck in the break, thats a serious problem and you need to report it to the maker. If you get one stuck where it seems its getting stuck at and you fire a 2nd shot, thats the end of your barrel and probably your whole AR. Sometimes called a squib.

That's what I was thinking. It the round isn't even making it out of the barrel I would call it an ammo problem. No powder or almost no powder.

Not stuck in the break, the barrel.

This was the Winchester Varmint ammo which is soft point. It did not get stuck in the brake, just before it, about 1" down in the barrel from the end.

That's the only ammo I shot yesterday. Never had another brand stick in the barrel before. That's just what the gun smith said, low charge.

Guest Mugster
Not stuck in the break, the barrel.

This was the Winchester Varmint ammo which is soft point. It did not get stuck in the brake, just before it, about 1" down in the barrel from the end.

That's the only ammo I shot yesterday. Never had another brand stick in the barrel before. That's just what the gun smith said, low charge.

Don't shoot it anymore, and email or call winchester with the lot number. If you report it you might save a few rifles from destruction and a finger or an eye.

I think I misunderstood the first post. If the bullet isn't leaving the barrel that would be a squib round, my guess no powder and only the primer is shooting the bullet. If you have a local gunsmith have him pull a bullet from that box and check if there is powder in the case.

Good thing you noticed the problem. That type of misfire will get you seriously hurt. I would think it is an ammo problem but I would consult the factory direct on both counts. You didn't run over the barrel with your car did you? JK. :screwy:

I spoke with a very well respected gunsmith last week about this. He was confident it was not the gun and was most certainly bad rounds. He suggested not shooting that box of ammo and just use something else.

He also commented that this is a perfect example of why good eye protection is a must!

Guest ar15m4guy

The problem is the wolf ammo! I have heard numerous stories of people using wolf ammo and this has happened. I am a frequent shooter at the Sevierville Indoor Range and we were just talking about this last week. The owner told me of a few gun that had blown up because of a bullet being lodged in the barrel and then they fired another round through it. The stories all revolved around using wolf ammo. I know its cheap but thats the problem right there. I myself had a problem with an under powered round. I suggest that you try to get some better ammo before you hurt yourself. Reasearch this and you will find numerous stories. Youtube has video of guns blowing up due to the same problem.