22-LR recommendations

Guest laymanz

Guest laymanz

Hi all,

would like to buy a 22-LR auto pistol Looking at the Ruger as a good dependable gun, but there are a few more (Sig Mosquito is very pricey) any other recomendations. Just want an auto for target and plinking. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just dependable.

recomendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Browning Buck-Mark or S&W 41. I have yet to see one which didn't perform flawlessly.

The Ruger is a solid choice, as well, as a lower cost... so is the S&W 22A and Beretta 87. I'd steer clear of the Beretta Neos and Sig Mosquito, having seen and heard of numerous reliability & QC issues. The Walther P22 seems to be well-liked, but I don't have much experience with those.

Got a Mark II Ruger that my Dad bought me when I was 15, that puts it

about 23 years old and I still love it. Never has given me the least bit of trouble.

My bro-in-law has a Browning .22 and seems to jam from time to time.

It could be the ammo, or other things... I'm sure the browning over all

is fine. He really likes it. (I don't care for the way it fits in my hand.)

My first gun was a Buckmark. I still have it.

But the gun has had reliability issues.

I think the Walther is the best selling gun in the class. But people have told me it wont shoot worth a darn. They do win "best kewl factor" though.

The Ruger is the next best. I had an old Mark I that was the best shooting gun I've probably felt (alas, a store gun and I had to sell it). Only downside seems to be field stripping them for cleaning.

SIG Mosquito has a poor reputation.

I would look for a used Mark I or an old High Standard.

Oh, and don't feed them cheap Remington bulk ammo. That stuff never seems to work well.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Avoid the beretta NEOS, it is pretty accurate, but is super picky about ammo.

If you look at the P22, make sure you get one with the newer/modified extractor, otherwise you may end up with brass getting flung in your face.

The one time I shot a Ruger, it was a great gun and I am considering picking one up in the future.

You may try posting on rimfirecentral.com and asking for some opinions there as well.

My first gun was a Buckmark. I still have it.

But the gun has had reliability issues.

I guess everyone has different experiences. I've yet to have my first misfeed or FTE with my Buckmark using every type of ammunition you can imagine. Only stuff that wouldn't cycle it was some Aguila Supercolibre that only has a primer and no powder. http://www.aguilaammo.com/aguila.htm

I have heard that Walthers are a bit picky about ammo. I've never shot one of their 22s though.

Frankly, I'm always surprised .22 semi-automatics work at all.

I don't bother to really clean my Buckmark by disassembly, and Rugers have a deserved reputation for being difficult to take down and reassemble. This site will help with that.

I find that for my Buckmark, a bore snake and cursory wipe-down work fine.

Guest Papabear

Depends on what you are looking for. Accuracy or just fun shooting? Have a price point in mind? I have both the Walther P22 and a Beretta NEOS. No problems with either gun, they have shot most every brand of bulk ammo with no problems. The Beretta is very easy to take down and clean as well. The Beretta is the more accurate of the 2 but the Walther is alot of fun to shoot. Both guns have several thousand rounds through them. I had a Beretta 87 target that was extremly accurate but your going to pay for that kind of performance. Never shot the trailside but have heard the same questionable build quality others have heard. The Ruger is another solid gun to pick from I have had several over the years.

I think the Walther ....... They do win "best kewl factor" though.

Oh, and don't feed them cheap Remington bulk ammo. That stuff never seems to work well.

I must admit, that's why I bought one.:eek: I stumbled upon a deal on the P22 "kit" with the long barrel and a Red Dot Scope in a hard case. The scope mount is plastic so definitely not what you'd call "competition grade" or anything but really cool and fun to play around with. I also added the $80 laser for fun, just couldn't resist.:eek: No doubt it is not as accurate as a Buck Mark but fine for target and plinking with the long barrel. I have never had any problems with CCI ammo and that is what Walther recomends. It is also fits really nice in the back pocket without the short barrel. I sometimes carry it when the wife and I go walking. As an added bonus, the laser keeps the dog occupied at night.....:(

Guest utarch00
The medallist is nice, but the Colt is just plain fun to shoot. I have a browning silhouette model buckmark that I would almost give away. Haven't fired it in years n years.

I will take it if you are giving it away.:up:

Guest ETS_Inc

Accuracy-wise, I'd have to say Buckmark, with the Rugers close behind, dependant on configuration.

Of course, all the cool kids are suppressing their .22's, and the easiest ones to suppress are going to be the P22, the Sig Mosquito, and the Ruger (with a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper).

One of my prize possessions is my Sig Trailside. This is a Hammerli made pistol designed for competition. Unfortunately Walther bought Hammerli so Sig no longer sells the Trailside. I would imagine it is just a matter of time until Walther comes out with their own version. You can still find the Sig's around and they are a can't miss gun. If not get the Ruger.

Guest utarch00
Accuracy-wise, I'd have to say Buckmark, with the Rugers close behind, dependant on configuration.

Of course, all the cool kids are suppressing their .22's, and the easiest ones to suppress are going to be the P22, the Sig Mosquito, and the Ruger (with a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper).

Frank

Doesn't Tactical Solutions make a barrel for the Buckmark also?

Guest bulletproof

I've got the Walther P22 target and my daughter has the Walther P22 standard version. I've shot both at the range and I've never had a jam. The only thing wrong with the target version is if you want it for your carry gun, you have a little more barrel to deal with.

For those interested in the Buckmark Silhouette I mentioned: My sister-in-law has first shot at it, but in the very likely event that she decides she isn't interested in a pistol that large and heavy, then 'give it away' would be defined as, come up with a reasonable offer, cut it in half, or come up with any interesting trade.

My interests are old colt auto pistols, US military rifles, Browning auto-fives and....

Hmm. Thats' about it, these days. I've narrowed my interests quite a bit, it seems.