Question about HCP class

Guest foister82

lol :D

The class is actually at the police/sherrif dept firing range, up near watauga, and it's hosted by WCSD.

I figured i'll run in to a few "experienced" shooters that will mock my mosquito. That's ok. I'll be sure to ask them how much their box of ammo cost :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest foister82
Are you by chance taking it at the Senior Center in Jonesborough? The free class taught by a member of the WCPD? Steve I think his name is.

No but any free handgun courses i'm interested in :D (i think the one you're thinking of is a self defense course) I was raised to hate guns, seen the light in my early 20's and then started shooting for hobby about a year ago. Joined NRA this year and learning every day. Better late than never, right? :) Any advice is good advice

Guest illumina

You sound like me. The son of hippie pacifist parents that realized the whole world doesn't feel the same way as his parents. Just got into guns by my own interests recently.

The course I'm talking about is indeed the HCP class, and it is free(donations accepted). I've never been able to find it on a website but I have a flyer somewhere with the number on it. They do the class every month at the Jonesborough senior center. I took it there and thought it was excellent. I was worried about it being legit, but it's taught by a member of the PD and he has many certifications, including glock instructor, which made him very partial to my G19(same model as his).

I know they have a class this Saturday if you want me to get the number. If you've already signed up for the other one, that's fine though.

Guest foister82

i have but i havent paid and can always cancel it. I would be very interested in the free one taught by the PD with certs. My brother works for WCSD and was mentioning its pretty much just watch a video read a book shoot some paper and then take a test with them, no real training per say.

lol :P

The class is actually at the police/sherrif dept firing range, up near watauga, and it's hosted by WCSD.

Hmmm, maybe that isn't the one that I signed my wife up for. The one that she's supposed to be going to is the one illumina mentioned. It meets at the Senior Citizens Center (at least for the classroom part, I don't know where they shoot) and is free!

Actually, I signed up for it too. I figured the Mrs would appreciate that psychological support of having someone she knew there.

Guest illumina
Hmmm, maybe that isn't the one that I signed my wife up for. The one that she's supposed to be going to is the one illumina mentioned. It meets at the Senior Citizens Center (at least for the classroom part, I don't know where they shoot) and is free!

Actually, I signed up for it too. I figured the Mrs would appreciate that psychological support of having someone she knew there.

Do you happen to have the phone number on the flyer? I think I gave my flyer to a friend to take the class. It's a great class, the instructor was well informed about current laws and upcoming laws(0962 at the time). The range is about two miles from the place, and is the police training range. I HIGHLY recommend bringing some water(one elderly gentlemen collapsed from heat exhaustion). As far as certs go, everything checked out okay! I took the form to the DMV two days later and I now have my HCP.

Guest foister82

oh cool well i definitely need that number if i can get in this sat as i already have it off for the other one (that costs $40, not bad really but free is always better :P)

Do you happen to have the phone number on the flyer? ...
oh cool well i definitely need that number if i can get in this sat as i already have it off for the other one (that costs $40, not bad really but free is always better :P)

I don't seem to have any of the information here at work, but I'm 99% sure that I've got it at home. I'll check and report back shortly. :)

I don't seem to have any of the information here at work, but I'm 99% sure that I've got it at home. I'll check and report back shortly. :lol:

OK, I don't have the actual flyer, but evidently I did write down two names and phone numbers that were on it:

Steve: 426-1590 (I'm pretty sure this is who I called)

Sgt. D. Wines: 753-1053

The dates that I know were on the sheet include 6/20 and 7/25. There were other dates beyond that, but I didn't really pay attention to them. IIRC, there is a copy of the flyer posted in the sporting goods area of the Wal-Mart on Market St.

Guest foister82

thanks RinTN. I called steves number and it rang then went to "Please enter your password" so im not sure what's up there. I'll try again shortly then i'll call sgt wines

Guest foister82

called the other number and got public safety. She gave me Steve's number. His full name is Steve Bishop, and the number is the same as listed above. When i call it, it goes straight to "enter your password" which is strange. I'll try again tomorrow.

Guest foister82

Steve called me back. Nice fellow. He said to sign up all you need to do is email him your name and phone number to shbishop@eastman.com. It is free, but they take donations. Said that most people donate $30 or $40 but if you're strapped it's no big deal.

Oh, and he said that the .22 mosquito was just fine :lol:

Guest foister82

awesome. good thing is that this class gets to break for lunch before going to the range, unlike the WCSD class which doesnt break at all. So if anyone going wants to carpool to lunch or whatever, we can do it.

Yes, that will probably be the scariest class you'll ever attend. There must have been at least 4 people in my class who said it was their first time to fire. Sheesh! I hate hearing that. Not only from a safety in the classroom perspective (range), but also: what are these people going to do out there in the field with a gun? I see lots of potential for "bad shoots" and bad press for HCP holders.

Personally I think that's a bad idea. Qualify with what you carry, or go back and do an "add a gun" re-qualifier (shooting part of the class only) later.

If you get in front of a rotten DA trying to slam you with a "bad shoot" - I want to be able to show him/her that I "qualified" with the gun I used in the incident. Take that question out of the debate.

Guest eyescream
Of course, there are people that pass that still should not even be in the same room with a firearm.

That's true.

There were at least two people in my HCP class that had never even fired a handgun before and passed with a really high hit percentage (well above the 70% pass/fail mark).

Guest foister82

i personally think that handgun carry permit should be just like getting a license. Even though its pretty much impossible to fail, the state requires that you have a learner permit for what, 6 months?

Now, i know that if you know how to fire one gun you dont know how to fire all guns, but at the ranges they're requiring for HCP target shot, i cant imagine the gun causing a pass/fail issue. Although in real world i see where it would make a huge difference.

Guest 3pugguy
boy that was easy, the shooting part of the HCP class that is. my wife, who had shot no more than 20 rounds in her life, hit 47 of 48 shots. i was very proud of her!!

Great job! Let us know when you all have your HCP. You will have seen or gotten this advice from others, but please follow up (phone call) to DOS after a couple or three weeks following submittal of all your docs and fingerprints.

Again, good job.

Barry

Guest eyescream
i personally think that handgun carry permit should be just like getting a license. Even though its pretty much impossible to fail, the state requires that you have a learner permit for what, 6 months?

Now, i know that if you know how to fire one gun you dont know how to fire all guns, but at the ranges they're requiring for HCP target shot, i cant imagine the gun causing a pass/fail issue. Although in real world i see where it would make a huge difference.

Not to get too off-topic, but the driving test is ridiculously easy, and should be made quite a bit more difficult.

Guest foister82
Not to get too off-topic, but the driving test is ridiculously easy, and should be made quite a bit more difficult.

yeah sometimes i wonder how some people got their license. Heck even i blew through a stop sign on my test and passed :cheers: