URGENT - POSSIBLE VETO ON PARKS BILL!!!

Guest stovepipe

Guest stovepipe

The deadline on vetoing the parks bill is today, June 11. SB 0976 - HB 0716

We have been alerted this morning that the Governor plans to VETO the parks bill unless the bill is recalled by the House and/or the Senate.

The governor wants the PARKS bill amended to either remove local parks entirely and/or to flip from the "opt out" standard to an "opt in" standard. We also believe that he wants parts of certain parks, possibly state parks, exempted from the "open" standard.

The version of the bill that was passed by the legislature opens local parks but allows the local governments to close them by "resolution" - which is bad since it requires no public hearing. However, the governor wants the local parks closed by default and to allow local governments to open them - which most will not do.

We believe the Senate will stay on the current language but that the House (principally through sponsor Nicely) is considering recalling the bill.

Another twist to this is apparently there are some discussions taking place from the governor's office and certain legislators about putting an amendment on some pending legislation that would address the issue of whether local governments could regulate places that serve beer and require those places, as a condition of having a beer permit, to post the property "NO GUNS". Governor may be trying to hold the parks bill hostage to get the last word on the restaurant bill.

We need calls to all legislators - HOUSE AND SENATE:

1) DO NOT RECALL THE BILL

2) IF THE GOVERNOR WANTS TO VETO IT - Fine but

3) GET A COMMITMENT TO A VETO OVERRIDE!!!! even if we have to extend the session.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/senate/members/

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/members/

Edited by stovepipe
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stovepipe

I've called Representative Nicely and Harwell's office and neither were aware of this going on. Paul, at Beth Harwell's office, wasn't sure how it could be recalled at this stage of the game, but said he would call Rep Nicely and see what's going on and get back with me.

Guest HexHead

The deadline on vetoing the parks bill is today, June 11. SB 0976 - HB 0716

We have been alerted this morning that the Governor plans to VETO the parks bill unless the bill is recalled by the House and/or the Senate.

I can't help but wonder who in the Governor's office would alert the TFA of the Governor's intentions?

Aren't they pretty much on the Gov.'s :) list?

Guest KWW67

OMG. This is getting ridiculous!! What an embarrassment to this state. Other states must be laughing their butt off. I have seriously been thinking about moving to KY. I have had it with this joke of a state and I have lived here all my life. Goodness...... AND there is no helmet law there to boot!

OMG. This is getting ridiculous!! What an embarrassment to this state. Other states must be laughing their butt off. I have seriously been thinking about moving to KY. I have had it with this joke of a state and I have lived here all my life. Goodness...... AND there is no helmet law there to boot!

No crap man. This truly is a bass-ackwards state if I've ever seen one.

Guest stovepipe

The Tennessee House has moved to recall the parks bill from the Governor's desk.

http://tnga.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1639

Time code 3 hours 9 minutes

Rep. Nicely made a motion and it was approved to recall the parks bill HB0716 from the governor's desk.

Senate will go into session at 3:00 p.m. today and will likely address this issue this afternoon.

Efforts seem to be underway - in fear of a threat of a 2nd veto - to amend the previously passed parks legislation to strip out local parks. The veto threat likely is not just parks but all other firearms bills including confidentiality, wildlife management areas, etc.

This is evidence of clear intimidation by the governor's office to abuse his authority and discretion with the veto and may be some form of retaliation for the veto override on the restaurants.

The question is - does the legislature have the time and the votes to override multiple vetoes? Is the legislature willing to come back for a special session if the governor is not truthful and is just buying time so that he vetoes them anyway after session?

Call your legislators and let them hear from you. They need to know if they have the public support for overrides or if they need to just cut the best deal they can with the governor and come back another day on the issues that he stops.

The question is whether enough Tennesseans and enough gun owners can raise enough horning honking, emails and phone calls to push these bills past the governor or whether in fact we lack the votes and must compromise.

What the heck. He better not be trying to work the beer permit thing in. It is clearly the will of the people of this state to allow HCP holders to carry into restaurants.

Guest Jamie
So we are getting the long guns and confidentiality at the expense of local park carry?

Local parks seem to have been lost anyway, due to local ordinances, so it's really not a bad trade.

Besides, there's always next year. And if we got this far this year, imagine what might happen then. It is just the beginning of a Naifeh-free House, after all. :D :D

Maybe someone needs to put an amendment into the state budget to cut a quite a few million from state parks if it means to close some golf courses, swimming pools, and close off large areas of most state parks to the public to save money for the state. See how Bredesen likes that idea.

Guest HexHead

I've gotta admit, of ALL the high profile gun related legislation before the legislature this season... restaurants, State parks, local parks, confidentiality and long guns, local parks is at the absolute bottom of the list for me.

Mae Beavers is right, they can just go after local parks next year. Strengthening the restaurant bill so that NO local beer board can mess with it is a good thing.

If it's true though, it sucks that the Governor is holding the other bills we want hostage if we don't give him the local parks. But who's surprised since we embarrassed him with the veto override. He's showing he's a very petty man.

As Phil said, you may lose the occasional battle, but winning the war is what counts. We get everything else we want including the State parks, then we won the war.

As a friend of mine often says, "Choose the hill you want to die on."

Guest Jamie

As Phil said, you may lose the occasional battle, but winning the war is what counts. We get everything else we want including the State parks, then we won the war.

As a friend of mine often says, "Choose the hill you want to die on."

Well, Bredesen certainly seems to have chosen his hill... may he rest in peace. :D

And that's the other thing to keep in mind; we'll soon be rid of him. :D