What to carry?

Im gettin ready to get my permit to carry and Im lookin for options on what kind of gun to get. I currently have a P94DC Ruger .40cal and I love it but its kinda big and heavy to carry all the time and at work my bosses rule is if I dont see it I dont care so I need somethin easier to conceal. I would like to keep with .40 cal but 9mm will work. Heres a pic of my .40cal and my Ruger 9mm I sold. Let me know what you think and oppinions thx thatch

GUN.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry my EMP every day and nobody notices. Thin, short, small, relatively light and very, very accurate. It is a bit pricy though, and carrying cocked and locked is not for everybody. Here is a pic of the EMP on top of the Ruger P95. The EMP also comes in .40. There are many great options out there good luck! Let us know what you decide. Just my :rolleyes:.

DSC00177.jpg

Guest Bronker
I would recommend either this:

638-2.jpg

SW 638

or

Any Kahr, well the P series or CW series. The all steel are kinda heavy.

Ditto on the Kahr. I recently went to a CW45 for my EDC. It's very light and thin, and even goes in some of my pants' pockets! I carry it in a yaqui style belt holster and an untucked shirt. I even forget that it's there. Occasionally I go 442 in the pocket, much like Kahrman. The CW replaced my XD40 subcompact for the summer anyway. But, I have no problem carrying the XD in any of many ways; from SmartCarry to MTAC, Don Hume IWB clip to SA factory paddle. Bottom line, you have plenty of options. It'll just cost you time and money finding the right way for you! :rolleyes:

Of course, at 6'6" and 300+, I can conceal a policeman if I could keep him quiet and still :screwy:

Guest eyebedam

I really like my EMP also. You may want to check out the Walther PPS it's very easy to conceal also. It comes in 9 & .40.

Guest JHatmaker

You'll have a ton of options. Give us a price point and that'll help you narrow it down.

Never shot an EMP, but have yet to hear one negative thing about them.

As far as a .40, you can't go wrong with a Glock or XDM (or even smaller XD40 Sub-Compact)

S&W M&P's seem very popular/decent rep around here.

Need a little bit more info to help narrow this down. We can go on and on w/ recommendations, there's just so much out there.

1) What's the max you want to pay?

2) Will you also be using this for home-defense along with your Ruger?

3) As far as concealability, standard size or sub-compact?

4) How are you going to carry? IWB, outside carry, small of back, or even pocket?

Edited by JHatmaker

4) How are you going to carry? IWB, outside carry, small of back, or even pocket?

Right now proly 500 is the most I can pay, Ive got a 500a 12ga for home-defense, lookin for a sub-compact or somethin smaller/lighter than my P94, proly gonna carry IWB or small of back. Ive got a .22 jennings for pocket carry/ hopefully my wifes first gun. Ive got a few different holsters so I figure I would post pics of them. and thx to everyone

got this from the guy next door for 20 bucks

0609091248.jpg

Fobus for my ruger

0609091248a.jpg

my shotgun belt and a holster my dad gave me

0609091249.jpg

Guest Bluemax
I would recommend either this:

638-2.jpg

SW 638

or

Any Kahr, well the P series or CW series. The all steel are kinda heavy.

I carry the Kahr MK40 and honestly like the added weight over the PM40.

I found this a few mins ago guy wants 400 obo, is it worth it?

SMITH & WESSON MODEL 3914 COMPACT - 9mm Parabellum caliber, double action semi-auto, aluminum alloy frame, 3 1/2 in. barrel, hammerless, 8 shot finger extension mag., fixed sights only, ambidextrous safety, blue finish, straight backstrap grip, 25 oz.

391420001.jpg

391420004.jpg

391420005.jpg

Guest Bluemax

My books a year old but it says

NIB 525

Exc 450

VG 400

Good 350

Fair 300

Poor 250

I've owned a couple of the older Smith Auto's and liked them

Guest JHatmaker

Right now proly 500 is the most I can pay, Ive got a 500a 12ga for home-defense, lookin for a sub-compact or somethin smaller/lighter than my P94, proly gonna carry IWB or small of back. Ive got a .22 jennings for pocket carry

Cool, that's what we needed to hear :-x

I'd recommend the following, and you may have to look hard, or try and find a good pre-owned version to stay close to $500:

>Springfield Armory XD9 (9mm) or XD40 Sub-Compact (.40 S&W)

>Glock 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40 S&W)

>Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact (have one in 9mm and love it)

>Kahr CW9 or CW40

I think you'd be happy with any of those (I've had experience with the XD40 and Beretta, but not the sub-compact versions of the Glocks)

Good luck and keep us updated....and of course post pics as soon as you pick one up. ;)

I'll also add that I love my Kahr CW9 and it also comes in a .40 and .45. The P series is essentially the same gun, but allows night sights to be added and has a bit nicer finishing in some areas. I alternate between the CW9 and a 442.

Guest eyebedam

For 600.00 I have a less than 100rds Bi-Tone XDM 9mm with all accessories & I'll through in a new bluegrass hybrid holsters Mason Dixon holster which can be worn IWB or OWB. It is flawless.

Guest JHatmaker
For 600.00 I have a less than 100rds Bi-Tone XDM 9mm with all accessories & I'll through in a new bluegrass hybrid holsters Mason Dixon holster which can be worn IWB or OWB. It is flawless.

This would be a great carry gun (larger than the sub-compact of course), but easy to carry, and what he's asking with all that, I'd jump on this. I've seen this gun new sell as high as $780 at some places.

Guest Domestic

I'm new to the site , but my primary carry is a Interarms PPK/s fits perfect in the ankle holster or inside the belt loop.

Guest SW9VEman

I carry my Keltec PF-9 everywhere in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. Gun is just so slim and light. Plus it was only $269.00 brand new. I have about 300 rounds through it with no problems. The other handgun I carry is a S&W SW9VE(hence name) with about 2800 rounds not a single issue. Though this gun I tend to keep in the nightstand since I am so spoiled by the Keltec.