Cougar help please

Guest mc30707

Guest mc30707

How does the Cougar compare to the 92FS? I've had several 92FS's but never had a Cougar. Actually never handled one. I have an opportunity to trade my sig p250 for a Cougar + cash. Before I go to the trouble of meeting the gentleman I'd like a little feedback. I was wandering what you Cougar owners think of them. Are parts readily available now? How difficult to install nite sites? thanks, Mike

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else open this thread thinking it was something completely different? :P

But to answer your question, keep your Sig. Seriously. Cougar's are a different animal than the 92FS. I do not know how much cash he's giving you plus the gun on the deal, but it better be alot, cause they are a far cry from the $600ish that you prolly spent on the 250.

Well the Cougar if she is hot just keep buying her drinks, and please whatever you Dude do don't tell her you are 46 just let her keep on thinkin you're 30..ish.

Ooops the Cougar is a gun....ummm I dunknow... what he said ^^^.

Guest FiddleDog

I'd hang onto the sig as well. You can get a Cougar NIB for right at $400.00. It's a great shooter, but you'll maintain more trade respect with the Sig.

It really depends on the Cougar that's being traded. Is it a Stoeger Cougar or a Beretta Cougar? And what caliber? I have had a Sig 229 in 40 and I currently own a Beretta Cougar in 45. Love them both but I still have the Cougar. :confused:

BUT....I would never ever trade for or buy a gun site unseen or never handled.

Edited by ~Emily~
Guest mc30707

Its a Beretta Cougar, 95+% condition + $150 for the p250. both are 9 mm. The p250 has had no issues at +500 eds. The only reason I might trade is I don't shoot well with the p250. Can't seem to master DAO

Guest FiddleDog

OK. I change my vote. If it's Beretta, then it would still demand trade respect for the future (even more so, sicne it is no longer available). The Stoeger Couger is made on the same machines, but the Beretta name just get's more respect. The only complaint that I can think of with the Couger is that the grip is freaking fat. It's like holding the thick end of a baseball bat....I think that just Cougers are just into girth.

Edited by FiddleDog
  • 5 months later...
Guest Bonedaddy

I own a Stoeger Cougar 8000 which is 9mm. Very easy to clean, excellent quality, very accurate, and very reliable. Will shoot any ammo almost without fail. No picatiny and not snazzy but is everything a top quality gun should be for much less money. Don't listen to those with their noses stuck up in the air because they spent a $1000 on a Kimber. The Cougar will perform every bit as good theirs.

I'd have to second Bonedaddy's post. I've had a Stoeger Cougar 8000 for about 3 months now and have fired 600 or so rounds through it without a single problem. it's pretty accurate, but i'm not sure how much so, since some of the problem is me.

i'm loving it so far! money well spent IMHO.

Recently sold an 8045 Cougar to a friend. Its a 45 instead of 9mm. Al love it says it's one of the most accurate DA 45's he's owned. It's a little more akward to break down than the 92/M9 version. It as a rotating barrel with 3 locking lugs, but once you do it a couple of times its pretty easy. Yes it's got the typical wide-body grip of the Beretta but is easily held and shot.

Personally, I'd rather have the Cougar than the P250. It just seems a little to gimmicky with all the barrel/slide size/caliber change setup. Nothing against Sigs, I still have them, just would rather not have the 250. JMHO.

The P250 is horrible, probably has the worst trigger of any gun Sig has ever put out, I say get rid of it while you can!

I like Cougars (both type's.. but since we're speaking of the firearm version here), here's a few things: they have a rotating barrel design which means much better lock-up and far greater accuracy than you'd normally expect from a shorter barreled gun, they're more comfortable in the hand and have a better sized grip than a 92fs, while no one would call them light or compact, they're a size that can be carried comfortably if you choose, lastly, even if the particular example has the worst trigger ever for a Beretta, it'll still be 10 times better than the pull on your P250,

it'll probably have a decent DA and sweet SA pull though. They're nice guns, and it'll be an upgrade.

Seriously, while I agree with Daniel that you probably paid more for the P250 than what a Cougar commands in price, the word is getting out on how awful they are, and unless you plan on forcing yourself to learn to love that looonnnng double action pull and reset, even if you decide not to go with the Cougar, trade it away, life is too short for a trigger pull that long.

Guest Pvt.Joker

I used to have a Beretta Cougar 8045F in .45acp (still have the sleeve for the box, even) and as recall it was a good gun. I got rid of it on a H&K USP .45 that I sold later on to get something else. You know how that goes. :dropjaw: But yeah, I think you'd probably like the Cougar well enough. it just depends on what YOU like in a firearm, and how it feels in YOUR hands. It's a well-made gun, as far as that goes.