Tennessee tracking mailorder/online ammunition purchases?

Guest jg45

As for ammo tax:

"All persons", "having in possession", "storing", "receiving" and/or "using" would seemingly indicate your liability for the tax. I suspect compliance is even less than that of the use tax on mail order ammo.

Actually, no.

70-3-101. Tax on shotgun shells and metallic cartridges. —

(a) All persons, firms and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount equal to ten cents (10¢) per individual container upon all center-fire ammunition, and ten cents (10¢) per individual container on all shotgun shells. A similar tax in the amount of ten cents (10¢) per individual container shall be paid on all rim-fire ammunition.

See, I read it as 3 nouns:

-persons

-firms

-corporations

with a qualifying clause:

-engaed in the business of

with further qualifiers defining what BUSINESS you are engaged in:

-buying

-selling

-distributing

-storing

-receiving

-having in possession

-using

With yet ANOTHER set of qualifiers - with each of the preceding applying to:

-shotgun shells

-metallic cartridges

So according to sentence structure - this does NOT apply to me since I am not "engaged in the BUSINESS of".

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spuds

Hence my use of the word "seemingly." :shrug::)

I guess it depends on who is defining "engaged in the business of." It can be(and was) interpreted in at least a couple of different ways by the casual observer.

I do know firsthand if you wish to sell ammunition from your personal stash, even if on a casual and isolated basis, TWRA expects you to have it properly stamped, or it is subject to being seized. I don't know if their expectations conform with law, however.

even more of a reason to buy locally... when the local guys are run out of buisness what will you have then?

I wish I could. Unfortunately I actually work for a living and don't have the time to camp out in Walmart. I've had to order primers because no one has any, there's usually no 9mm or .40 locally. So what's a boy to do except source from out of state? FWIW all of my guns but one were purchased at a LGS even though I could have ordered from somone like CDNN and paid less.

Hence my use of the word "seemingly." :D:shake:

I guess it depends on who is defining "engaged in the business of." It can be(and was) interpreted in at least a couple of different ways by the casual observer.

I do know firsthand if you wish to sell ammunition from your personal stash, even if on a casual and isolated basis, TWRA expects you to have it properly stamped, or it is subject to being seized. I don't know if their expectations conform with law, however.

I, at one time, had heard that if a TWRA agent found you in possession a box of ammunition that did not have the state tax stamp you could be fined or ammo seized or some sort of punitive punishment. Just think if you ordered that 500 or 1000 round box of .45 and took it to the TWRA range for a day of practice and they confiscated it all. I would be mighty pissed.

I, at one time, had heard that if a TWRA agent found you in possession a box of ammunition that did not have the state tax stamp you could be fined or ammo seized or some sort of punitive punishment. Just think if you ordered that 500 or 1000 round box of .45 and took it to the TWRA range for a day of practice and they confiscated it all. I would be mighty pissed.

Take them out of the box and dump them in a ammo can.