I need Info on revolvers

Guest m&pc9

Guest m&pc9

I'm thinking of getting a revolver for carrying in my front pocket as a back up or going places that deep concealment is required. And Im not a revolver person and have a couple of questions.

My nephew has a hammerless 357 with a 2" barrel. (it hurts to shoot it much) And it fits in my front pocket very nicely.

1) Is it better for pocket carry to be hammered or hammerless? And I think Ive heard of a shaved hammer.

2) I dont think I want a .357. What about a .327? I'm thinking about a .38 or a .327.

3) Do you need a pocket holster? And any suggestions on brands.

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

I think I've got (and own), the perfect gun for this question. It is a S&W 640PD with CT grips.

1. A. hammerless. A hammer can snag

2. A. .357Mag. I practice with a model 36, all steel, with .38sp. I believe the stress of any situation where I need that 340pd will negate the fact it is an unfriendly gun for target practice (I've shot 5 rounds of .357 and 5 rounds of .38sp out of mine and 1,000's of rounds of practice on a mod.36).

3. A. Depends on how I'm dressed. Most of the time I carry without a holster in baggy slacks... When I do holster, it's a DH back pocket or front draw (the front draw DH has a tooth that pulls the gun out of the holster). DH - Don Hume

Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest bkelm18

1. I prefer hammerless or shrouded hammer for pocket carry. Less chance to snag.

2. Personally I wouldn't go with .357 in a snubby, nor would I go with .327. .327 seems pretty much like a proprietary ammo and it's not cheap or plentiful. I'd go with .38.

3. A good pocket holster not only protects the trigger but also keeps the gun properly aligned in your pocket so you can grab it quickly without fumbling.

The best choice IMO for what you are wanting is a S&W 642 or 442. It's hammerless, .38 special, and lighter than the .357 snub versions. It's my EDC.

When I go pocket carry I use a Uncle Mike's pocket holster #3. I plan to get around to ordering a Mika holster at some point in the future.

My other holsters are;

Ankle = Galco Cop Series

OWB = Side Guard Holsters - Slide model

IWB = New Design Holster - offset belt clip

Edited by Trekbike

you will want the hammerless version no matter what you get.

the only .327 i am aware of is the ruger sp101, and i think its a bit heavy for pocket carry. i know taurus and charter make a .327 but i tend to stick with ruger and S&W and colt for revolvers. and to note, the .327mag also fires .32acp, .32H&Rmag and .32S&W

id reccommend the S&W 442 in .38spl or if you wanted a 357 the S&W MP340

Guest Phantom6

The Taurus Model 851 in Ultra-Lite with a shrouded hammer is a 38+P shooter. It is DA or SA depending upon your needs at the time you pull it. The Ruger LCR is also a great choice though it is DA only. Like the 851 it is rated +P yet it weighs no more than the ammunition that it carries. With a little practice you can "stage" the trigger so that you can effectivly shoot it almost as if it were single action. It has a new recoil management system built into the gun which consists of frame design as well as a set of specially designed Hogue grips made exclusivly for this great little pocket defender. I've had 5 of them in in the last week and sold each and every one of them nearly as quickly as I unpacked them and filled in my A&D book. Only one of the five people came in looking for an LCR. The reports received are outstanding. I have heard nothing but good things from my customers as they have raced to the range to shoot their new "little friends." I intended to snatch one for myself but I wasn't fast enough and now must wait till this coming Thursday or Friday when I expect another load.

The .327 Federal Magnum from S&W or Taurus would be a good one as well. Their "diet" is actually varied. They'll eat not only the .327 Federal Mag but the .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag. and even the 32 ACP of all things. Taurus makes both the standard hammer and the shrouded hammer models. Don't know about anyone else right off the top of my head.

bkelm18 is correct regarding the holsters. If you are going to carry a gun carry it right and that means safely and securely. A good pocket holster not only keeps the gun orientated correctly in the pocket for fast acquisition but limits the amount of pocket crap that can foul a handgun like strings or threads, lint, loose change and such. I personally prefer one of the DeSantis models, either the Nemisis or the SuperFly. I carry both... not only on my person depending on my placement or clothing of the day, but for sale in our gunshop as well.:)

I'm thinking of getting a revolver for carrying in my front pocket as a back up or going places that deep concealment is required. And Im not a revolver person and have a couple of questions.

My nephew has a hammerless 357 with a 2" barrel. (it hurts to shoot it much) And it fits in my front pocket very nicely.

1) Is it better for pocket carry to be hammered or hammerless? And I think Ive heard of a shaved hammer.

2) I dont think I want a .357. What about a .327? I'm thinking about a .38 or a .327.

3) Do you need a pocket holster? And any suggestions on brands.

Thanks for your help.

If you like that revolver just carry it with .38 specials in it.

Cherokee Slim

I prefer a J frame revolver with a Aholster kydex pocket holster. My personal revolver has a hammer and I practice my draw so that the thumb is on the hammer so not to snag on my clothing. It works for me. YMMV. Good luck with your choice.

I prefer a J frame revolver with a Aholster kydex pocket holster. My personal revolver has a hammer and I practice my draw so that the thumb is on the hammer so not to snag on my clothing. It works for me. YMMV. Good luck with your choice.

Same for me. I carry either in the front pocket or hip pocket. The combination of the model 36 and the Aholster is great. The Aholster is molded to be either right or left handed. I'ts the best pocket holster ive used; regardless of price.

Hope this helps.

LEROY

442 is the same as a 642 except the 442 is black and the 642 is stainless

Just as a clarification point on the 642 vs. 442, both models use an aluminum alloy frame. It is finished different as nightrunner pointed out above.

The 642 uses a stainless steel cylinder while the 442 uses a carbon steel cylinder.

Can't you get two 642s for the price of one 340? If you are anything on this list you can get a 442 or 642 from Budspolicesupply.com for $375 shipped.

Gun for Sale - Discounts for Qualified Customers

true ... very true... I guess its all about ones budget. I had a 642 until I could afford a 340. Both are great choices...

But the thing is you can find used 340's in the $450-$500 range... its lighter and tougher and is a 357 magnum that you can also put 38 specials in to shoot on the range. You can definatly tell the difference when carrying it.

Its kinda like eating dinner... a few Krystals will hit the spot, but sometimes you just need a steak. So in the end when your protecting yourself you have to ask yourself "whats your life worth"?

In that moment I want to launch the biggest fastest chunka whatever at the bad guy.

I am looking at a Taurus 85 Ultra-lite in .38spl+p or a Taurus 605 in .357mag for the same purpose.

I will probably get a hammered version just because I like to shoot SA sometimes. I will just practice to draw from my pocket with my thumb guarding the hammer as others have suggested.

I will definately always use a pocket holster. I don't like the idea of a loaded gun in my pocket with an unguarded trigger. I hadn't thought of the other great reasons mentioned for using a holster - reduce lint in the gun and to keep it properly oriented. I good pocket holster can also keep the gun from printing in some pants.

I will probably choose the 605 in .357mag. I like the option to shoot .357 or .38 out of the same gun.

605SS.jpg

Edited by Batman
Guest Phantom6
Can't you get two 642s for the price of one 340? If you are anything on this list you can get a 442 or 642 from Budspolicesupply.com for $375 shipped.

Gun for Sale - Discounts for Qualified Customers

As a gunshop we do a lot of transfers and more than a few have come from Bud's Gun Shop/ Bud's Police Supply (their FFL is held under M&M Gunshop) of Lexington, Kentucky. In the past things have gone fairly smooth but recently I've had a number of customers that have been extremely dissatisfied with their dealings with this company. Two that come to mind are as follows:

Customer example #1- Guy orders a Taurus Judge. Receives a confirmation of the sale and his credit card is charged accordingly. About a week later the customer receives an email stating that his gun has shipped and is on it's way to our shop in Oak Ridge for transfer. A week goes by and no Judge in sight on our end so the customer contacts Bud's and inquires as to the whereabouts of his Judge. Bud's tells him that on the day of his order their computer had belched and there was not actually a judge available for sale at that moment. Our intrepid customer brings up the email they had sent a week later stating that the gun was at that time shipping which he says Bud's has no answer for. He complains and wants to speak to a supervisor. With none available he leaves a message. Next he receives an email from a Bud's V.P. which he shows me. It reads as if it were written by a 5 year old and does contain a vague apology but actually blames the customer for the problem saying it was the customer's fault since he had originaly ordered two guns but had called back about an hour later and cancelled one of them (not the judge). Customer says it still doesn't account for the "shipping" email. Customer goes back to order another gun and take advantage of a small discount that Bud's has offered in their original apology and finds that his account has been deleted and can not be reopened. Customer is livid.

Customer example #2- A guy orders a large frame 4" barrel revolver from Bud's. Waits a week or two and his gun finally arrives. I call him and tell him I just received a package from UPS from Bud's with his name on it and he rushes right down to open it. If the customer can get to the shop within 24 hours I like to let them be the one to open the box 'cause it's like watching a kid at Christmas. He opens it up and there is his new pistol complete with the wrecked front sight. The gun has obviously been dropped on concrete, the front sight is not only dinged on the muzzle end but the roll pin that holds it in place has been snapped and the sight been pushed out of it's groove. The UPS carton it was packed in showed no outward visible sign of abuse and the gun was bubble wrapped inside with no punctures in the wrapping. I had one of our gunsmiths put the sight back in place and install a new roll pin at no charge. Now after a week UPS arrives with a pick-up ticket. I contact the customer and he says he knows nothing about it. Bud's has failed to call him and tell him to return the gun to the shop for pick-up. He has gotten po'd and sold the gun at the gunshow in Knoxville. The customer comes in to buy a LCR from me and states that he has still not heard from Bud's regarding his complaint.

By the way, these were the last two Bud's transfers that we had come through our shop. Everybody is human and we all make mistakes from time to time but Bud's seems to be making a habit of it recently. We do 4-5 transfers coming in from arround the country every week. We have never seen anything like this with any other company that ships guns to us. Presently, Bud's seems to be having some problems. Be careful in your dealings with them.

Edited by Phantom6