Opinions on 7.62 X 39 AR Uppers

leroy

Dear folks:____________

What are your opinions on 7.62 X 39 uppers for AR type rifles? What have been your experiences as to reliability and accuracy? What types of ammo are best?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

LEROY

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mags are an issue. The newer more curved ones seem to have fixed the problem. My main issue is that ammo cost is such that the caliber and platform no longer have anything to offer when combined. It's like dropping a Cummings diesel in a Ferrari. It just doesn't make sense. Even 5.45 is getting to be null as well. If you want a cheaper alternative get a .22 conversion. If you want something with better power than 5.56 go with 6.8 or 6.5. If you just like x39 (I do) get an AK while you can.

Mags are an issue. The newer more curved ones seem to have fixed the problem. My main issue is that ammo cost is such that the caliber and platform no longer have anything to offer when combined. It's like dropping a Cummings diesel in a Ferrari. It just doesn't make sense. Even 5.45 is getting to be null as well. If you want a cheaper alternative get a .22 conversion. If you want something with better power than 5.56 go with 6.8 or 6.5. If you just like x39 (I do) get an AK while you can.

+1 I think you will be alot better off getting a .22 kit if you want to shoot for less money. Plus I think you will save yourself a lot of headaches. Mags are a pain in the butt to find and some run and some dont. And 7.62 ammo is running right there with 5.56 as far as price. I would stay with .22, 5.56/.223, 6.8, and 9mm in the AR platform.

-Jason G

Guest Mugster

First, I like mine, but I like to tinker on stuff. I have a "dedicated lower" for all my uppers, but you could def get by with just the upper.

Mags are not an issue. The cproducts 30 round mags work great. I get more utility out of the 10 shotters though. I wish there was a 20 or a 15, but I can get by with what's offered. The 30's hang down so low you'll never use them prone or off the bench well.

Barrel weight and length might be a bummer. I went with a 16" medium weight (and its pretty stout for a medium) on a carbine length gas system because I couldn't find anything in a light to medium contour in a 20" or an 18". Thats all custom order. With an optic on it, mine is a little hefty, but I'm a pretty big guy.

I think a regular 18-20" barrel would be da bomb in the woods with the smoother gas system if you could keep the weight down.

You'll need a wolf extra power hammer spring for the commie ball, otherwise you'll get misfires. A heavy plunger or an extra power plunger spring might get it too. The carbine length gas system gets pretty violent on 150gr+ hot ammo, imo. Stock an extra bolt and a couple extractors either way, imo. Can be real hard to get.

The commie steel cased stuff is about 5-8% more potent velocity wise than american factory brass cased, but it does throw flyers. Its very consistent stuff the lots I've tested. The bullets are not very uniform.

I'm still developing loads, but if you get one, I got a couple I came up with that work for deer (DRT) or varmint (DRT), whatever. Handloading tunes the x39 right out. It responds well. If you can find brass.

I have one in 5.45X39 and love it. Ammo is still 150.00 per 1080 rds. C-products makes good mags for both the 7.62 and 5.45 rounds for the AR

Platform.

I get the same performance out of mine as you would with stardard 5.56(.223). The only difference is when you use specialty rounds for the .223.

You can get a Del-Ton upper in 7.62 for about 450.00. i am thinking about picking one up.

Thanks for the advice; it's greatly appreciated. Here are some questions:

First, I like mine, but I like to tinker on stuff. I have a "dedicated lower" for all my uppers, but you could def get by with just the upper.

Mags are not an issue. The cproducts 30 round mags work great. I get more utility out of the 10 shotters though. I wish there was a 20 or a 15, but I can get by with what's offered. The 30's hang down so low you'll never use them prone or off the bench well.

Barrel weight and length might be a bummer. I went with a 16" medium weight (and its pretty stout for a medium) on a carbine length gas system because I couldn't find anything in a light to medium contour in a 20" or an 18". Thats all custom order. With an optic on it, mine is a little hefty, but I'm a pretty big guy.

I think a regular 18-20" barrel would be da bomb in the woods with the smoother gas system if you could keep the weight down.

You'll need a wolf extra power hammer spring for the commie ball, otherwise you'll get misfires. A heavy plunger or an extra power plunger spring might get it too. The carbine length gas system gets pretty violent on 150gr+ hot ammo, imo. Stock an extra bolt and a couple extractors either way, imo. Can be real hard to get.

The commie steel cased stuff is about 5-8% more potent velocity wise than american factory brass cased, but it does throw flyers. Its very consistent stuff the lots I've tested. The bullets are not very uniform.

Any extraction problems with the steel cased stuff? Do you believe it might tear up the extractor, ect?

I'm still developing loads, but if you get one, I got a couple I came up with that work for deer (DRT) or varmint (DRT), whatever.

Handloading tunes the x39 right out. It responds well. If you can find brass. Was thinking about handloading if i could find brass

I like the idea of the extra punch that the x39 has. The big problem with the AK seems to be accuracy -- the AR seems to fix that problem.

Many thanks to all who have opined.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest Mugster
Thanks for the advice; it's greatly appreciated. Here are some questions:

I like the idea of the extra punch that the x39 has. The big problem with the AK seems to be accuracy -- the AR seems to fix that problem.

Many thanks to all who have opined.

Kind regards,

LEROY

No, no extraction problems at all with anything. Probably only have 1200-1400 rounds through the rifle, with 500 of that being golden tiger 125gr ball and maybe 100 of the wolf 154 grainers. Few odd boxes of wolf for testing. It tosses brass or steel in this case further than I've ever seen an ar throw brass (wolf 154gr or my sierra 150gr sp's handloads). The 150 gr or heavier (loaded hot) are pretty hard on the rifle, imo. There's no "sproing" noise like with a .223. Only a "chunk" when the plunger hits the stop. I know ar's are pretty tough, but something to slow the action down is a good idea (imo). I suspect the barrel will last a long time.

The only real "problem" I've had is possibly light strikes on tough primers. Fixable with the right hammer spring. Although I had a dud shooting the ak clone (golden tiger ball) the other day which smashes the crap out of the primer. So dud ammo or light strike with the ar, I'm less sure now. Either way it could use more wallop on tougher primers. Had a few hollow points jam on the ramp.

For handloading the 125gr fbsp in .311 diameter can be had from multiple vendors and should work for most stuff around here. 150gr bullets, according to the guys at sierra (in .308 diameter), do not expand at x39 velocity. I haven't tested myself. So I used the speer 130gr FBHP in .308 which behaves pretty good at x39 speed. Shot a doe with it, DRT. I got it up to about 2350ish with AA1680. AA2230 works ok for the heavier stuff. I have some nosler plastic tip in 125 on the shelf but haven't tried em yet. Pretty much AA1680 is the choice because the case is so small. You will beat your head against the wall trying to get brass. I got lucky and bought 400 pieces of once fired winchester cheap, but I dunno what to tell you in terms of ordering other than keep an eye on wideners or pat's reloading.

At close range (<100 yards) the wolf 154gr spire point should take down most things. Its very consistent on the chronograph (2225 fps) but it throws random flyers. Puts about 3-4 in an inch hole and then opens up to 2.5-3.0" in a random direction. Little frustrating shooting it. I suspect every 4th or 5th bullet is deformed.

Edited by Mugster