Quick Draw

Guest Risky Ruger

Guest Risky Ruger

I haven't been carrying long and wonder how fast I really would be able to draw in time of need. I have practiced some but haven't had any formal training. Any thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Welcome to TGO!

To answer your question...get some formal training! I've had my permit 10 years, and have always thought that as long as I had a gun, I'd have the advantage automatically in an incident. The more I've learned, read, contemplated, experienced, discussed...the more I realize that having a gun is a small portion of the equation. Knowing how to use it effectively is the key. I've come to the realization that there is truth in the adage I've heard. Loosely, it states that in a crisis, you'll default to the level of your training, not rise to the level of your expectations.

So, let's go get some training. Some highly regarded instructors are on this site. A few of my friends swear by Todd at www.criticalincidentstrategies.com. He's a member and a vendor here.

:D

Everyone should practice periodically drawing and firing from however you normally carry. So wear whatever type of cover shirt you normally would be wearing when carrying. MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS UNLOADED. Then have someone else make sure it is unloaded, then you check it again. Practice unconcealing, drawing, presenting and firing at some point on the wall. Do it over and over to build muscle memory. If your range allows it, practice the whole thing again with live ammo. If others are on the range, ask them if it's OK with them if you do it, or just wait till you're alone.

Everyone should practice periodically drawing and firing from however you normally carry. So wear whatever type of cover shirt you normally would be wearing when carrying. MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS UNLOADED. Then have someone else make sure it is unloaded, then you check it again. Practice unconcealing, drawing, presenting and firing at some point on the wall. Do it over and over to build muscle memory. If your range allows it, practice the whole thing again with live ammo. If others are on the range, ask them if it's OK with them if you do it, or just wait till you're alone.

+1...what he said ^^^ and get some training.

Bronker said:

I've had my permit 10 years, and have always thought that as long as I had a gun, I'd have the advantage automatically in an incident.

That pretty much sums me up as well. Then a couple of years ago a friend invited me to go shoot IDPA with him and I learned real quick just how difficult it can be to shoot quickly and accurately.

If at all possible try to go and participate in an IDPA shoot somewhere. You will be amazed at how much you will learn and how much fun you can have.

Guest Risky Ruger

I bought last December for a Christmas present to myself. I was one of the first to get one, and as you may have heard there was a recall on the internals. Once I got it back (within two days of shipping to them - very quick) I shot it quite often to break in the new trigger.

I love the gun. Its very thin, light and easy to conceal. I have read other people criticing the trigger pull, saying its gritty or tough, but I can't tell. I rally have no bias as this was my first gun and didn't shoot much before I bought.

I have put close to 5,000+ through it and haven't had any problems out of it. I think Ruger did a better job with this one than their previous models.

I read the trigger feels gritty when dry firing without a mag inserted because of the mag disconnect safety. And it may stay that way if dry fired like that enough. Others say the new trigger pull is short with good reset. I think I'll have "fondle" one a little.

Guest Risky Ruger

I never dry fire without the mag in place, I think I read that somewhere. I like the new trigger pull better. And I may have put more than 5,000 rounds through it. There for a while when I first bought it, I was going twice a week. But that got expensive, quick.

i know the manual says not to do it, that would lead me to believe that its possible. Not sure otherwise

Well, I mean you have to stick something down in there to defeat the interlock safety, otherwise it's not an interlock safety.

edit: sorry, way off topic...

quick draw might or might not be critical...just practice, over and over at home, even better at range where you can draw and actually fire, or of course at a training course or sports shooting like IDPA...

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

What the Sam Hill happened to the quick draw theme? I have participated in competition shooting and I am a Gunsite graduate. However, I find I never carry my gun on the street the same way I carry it in competition. (Don't allow pocket draw!) I also find all the wonderful practice at the ranch is now pretty much useless with a snubby and a pocket draw. I have since taken some pro training on the snubby and I practice the draw from almost every type of clothing I wear. I use a "Blue Gun" demonstrator (plastic) and practice for a few minutes each time I put on the clothes I will wear that day, both standing and sitting. After I feel comfortable that I can get to and clear the weapon into a ready position, I put the blue gun back in the drawer and put my 642 in the pocket. I do the same thing in the winter with my OWB and 640.

Works for me.

D9618A89EBCF49CBBC9D8A9FDEA12A7E.jpg

Edited by wjh2657
Guest Risky Ruger

Where can I get the blue practice gun? I have the 442. I love that lil guy!! I doubt they make a Ruger SR9 plastic one.