Another Hypothetical

So here it is.....you end up in a defensive encounter somewhere, anywhere. Your car, parking garage, walking the dog, etc. Somewhere no one else is really around. BG appears produces weapon, you fear for your life, you produce your gun, BG high tails it, all you see is elbows and heels. Pretty much the optimum result-- every other possible outcome would have be much worse. It all happened so fast that you don't really have any good information to pass along.

Do you call 911 and file a report, and take whatever time that takes, or do you just head home to change your drawers.

I really don't know what I'd do..... just thought I'd throw it out there for some discussion.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

I would contact the police...give as best a description as possible...you'd be surprised at what details you CAN remember...you do whatever you can to get the BG off the street.

I think if I felt the need to draw my weapon, I'd make the call to 911 to have it on record. What happens if the bad guy in this case calls the police to report you for pointing a gun at him? I'd want my version of things on record first.

+1!

I think if I felt the need to draw my weapon, I'd make the call to 911 to have it on record. What happens if the bad guy in this case calls the police to report you for pointing a gun at him? I'd want my version of things on record first.

Taking a post HCP class, we were told that the perceived victim is the first person to contact the authorities

Thanks for the replies I was thinking the same thing...I was trying to present the easiest scenario to walk away from and see what the feelings were. I think if forced to draw it would always be best to report immediately, but I also think if you think of these things ahead of time it will be easier to do the right thing in a SHTF situation.

Just to play devil's advocate;

In what (legal) situation would you pull your sidearm and NOT report it? Anybody? Bueller?

Dry fire practice in my bedroom.

Any other circumstance I can think of, I would holster my pistol and immediately draw my phone.

Guest Ggun

In what (legal) situation would you pull your sidearm and NOT report it? Anybody? Bueller?

How about when fixing a car on the roadway when a drunk hooker shows up? :lol:

Edited by Ggun
I am just kidding here...

I for one don't think I would, I was just attempting to pose the easiest possible situation to just walk away from, and see what others thought. Personally I think not reporting would be a bad idea. All you would save is the time it would take to make the report, and you may be able to possibly get a bad guy off the street, or at a minimum have your version on record.

Guest Ggun

Here's one: you are sleeping on your couch when a noise sounding like your doorknob turning wakes you up and you jump up with sidearm drawn. The noise dies down in the hall.:doh:

I have drawn my 642 and held it down behind my leg in a parking lot. I'm sure potential threat ( group of scruffy juveniles) never saw it and auto shielded it from prying eyes of any possible witnesses. They broke off and went on their way. I put 642 back in holster and surveyed area, no prying eyes (it was dark and at night.) I reholstered in my pocket, got in car and left. They didn't seem after me specifically but kept approaching my site, getting too close for a successful draw.