So, my pastor and family just got back from a week and a half trip to Kenya... they're telling me about all the Obama t-shirts that say, "One Born African Managing Americans"... and citizens telling them they were promised American money... I'm trying to figure out the surprise...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don`t see the problem in helping poor people of Kenya but I do have a problem with the fact that most of that money always ends up in the hands of some corrupt king or govenment...regular people ussualy don`t see a penny of that money

Db

I don`t see the problem in helping poor people of Kenya but I do have a problem with the fact that most of that money always ends up in the hands of some corrupt king or govenment...regular people ussualy don`t see a penny of that money

Db

100% true.

Db

Regular people don't see any of that money! It stays in Nairobi, or worse Mombasa (which is more Arab than African). Me and my family have spent quite a bit of time there and the political mess is truly a sight to see. Like kids running the playground except less efficient and more ruthless. When I went in 2000 they had just had an election and the incumbent president printed up a couple million Kenyan dollars to pay for votes. Needless to say he won but the exchange rate went from 1:9 to 1:110! Great for us bad for them.

BTW - gotta see "Ghost in the Darkness". It's about the lions of Tsavo during the British colonial period in Kenya.

Regular people don't see any of that money! It stays in Nairobi, or worse Mombasa (which is more Arab than African). Me and my family have spent quite a bit of time there and the political mess is truly a sight to see. Like kids running the playground except less efficient and more ruthless. When I went in 2000 they had just had an election and the incumbent president printed up a couple million Kenyan dollars to pay for votes. Needless to say he won but the exchange rate went from 1:9 to 1:110! Great for us bad for them.

BTW - gotta see "Ghost in the Darkness". It's about the lions of Tsavo during the British colonial period in Kenya.

what a mess....

Guest 3pugguy

I visited Mombasa in the late 80s (port call after a gulf stint on an aircraft carrier). The people I met were really wonderful, friendly people. I worked in the air traffic control tower for a day, because they did not have UHF radio capability so we took a portable unit and worked the S-3 arrival/departures.

Later that day, we took a helo ride and it was like something from National Geographic - the huts (rondel, maybe - not sure of the spelling), wildlife, etc.

Poor country with a proud and intelligent people - at least those I was able to talk with were so. Very friendly to Americans; and these were not bar folks or others working to make money from visitors.

I do recall Muslim law in Mombasa, i.e. no pictures of the women, etc. But right on the button about the abject poverty if you got away from the main city/coastal area with the big tourist hotels (lots of Asian and European tourists when I visited).

Anyway, not sure if this is on your topic or not, but I liked the people there and have met other Africans who have immigrated to the U.S. since my one vist. Very focused on making a better life and they worked very hard to achieve. I have to share this story: one gent (he was actually a Somali) came to the US and spoke very little English; 11 years later, he was finishing a Masters degree and had his teaching certificate (and spoke very fluent, clear English). Made me very proud of our country and opportunities and that someone from "outside" saw and grabbed the brass ring. Guess I just appreciate anyone who works hard to have a better life.

Barry