Just got a Sig Sauer P220

Guest m4coyote

Guest m4coyote

I just bought an older Sig P220 last Friday. Included with it were the box, test target, instructions, warranty paperwork, and the original purchase receipt. It was originally purchased in 1992. The owner stated that it only had two magazines (14 rds.) shot through it, and it really looks the part. It is a K-Kote gun, and is probably the cleanest used firearm I have ever purchased. If it were not for the slight brass marks on both magazine followers and a small amount of powder residue in the frame, I would have thought it was new.

"Made in W.Germany" is stamped on the slide and has German proof marks on both the slide and frame, so I guess the entire gun was made in Germany. Are the all German made Sigs as well made as their American made counterparts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the all German made Sigs as well made as their American made counterparts?

Many say better :popcorn:

The first Sig I ever fell in love w/ was a W. German P226... AWESOME gun. I haven't had enough experience between the US-made and W. German-made guns to give a valid comparison, but anything stamped w/ "Made in W. Germany" stamped on it at least has a certain "Cold War Coolness Factor".

Guest Silverwolf1964

Congrats, I don't have a Sig .... yet, but always loved the 220 series. Crimson trace has a laser sight that I have "heard" is pretty good.

Guest m4coyote

I thought I heard Vince around here somewhere.:poop:

What about the older all W. German pistols is better than the current US production pistols?

I also have a current P226R, and the trigger is definitely better on the older P220. The P220 trigger has a noticeably lighter single action pull, and has absolutely no creep - breaks like the proverbial glass rod. The 226R is no slouch in the trigger department, but this P220 has one of the very best single action triggers of any SA/DA gun that I have felt.

The slide to frame fit is also tighter on the P220 than the P226R. That is apparent when field stripping both pistols. The P220 slide does not just "slip" off the frame like the 226R, it requires a little more force to remove & install, and frame to slide wobble is just about non existent.

Guest boatme99

Congrats on a great find! I use a P-239 9mm for my everyday cc. IMO, I don't think there's a finer gun for the price than Sig. Absolute tank of a gun. Simple and extremely reliable. Enjoy shooting it. :poop:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest m1abrams

Currently speaking, most Sig Sauer guns are... The components are mostly manufactured in Germany but a few may be built here and assembled in Exeter, NH

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Congrats on the P220. You will enjoy that. for what its worth, the Sig plant in Exeter makes the frames for sure, and I am pretty certain that they make the slides on site as well but I could be mistaken. I have seen pictures from a guy that visited the NH plant and they were definitely starting from block aluminum. I have shot an older all-German Sig and I did like it better.