First time buying a scope

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you want it to do?

i have a weaver grand slam 1.5 x 5, that i have used to 400+

also have a VX-III 1.5 x 5 that done by the there custom shop for out to 500.

most of all my shooting is done on 1.5 power

if you wish to bottle caps at 100 then of course you need at lot more power but that hurts you for short range.

Guest 70below

When I think of AR's I usually think of an EOTech......but if you're looking for an actual scope, then we probably need to know what your purpose is. An EOTech is an awesome piece of equipment, or you can go Bushnell Holosight for quite a bit less, its the same thing as the EOTech just without the armor.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I would opt for the armor of the EOTech (if you want red dot). You can get a cool lens cover that goes between the shield and the optic. like this:

MidwayUSA - GG&G Flip-Up Lens Covers EOTech 511, 512, 551, 552 Matte

or this

EA Flip Up Lens Cover for EOTech 551/552 Dot Scope

It is very easy to bump your optic and scratch it. I would rather screw up a cover than the actual $500 item. The replacement hood/cover is $27 from EOTech. I have a 512 on my AR. It is very sweet.

Edited by TurboniumOxide

First of all, I love Leupold scopes and their warranty. Unfortunately, their prices have gotten beyon what I want to spend. I couldn't decide what type of sighting device that I wanted to put on my M4 carbine.

I had some limited experience with a Bushnell Halo sight and it now resides on my partner's Mossberg 835 and has helped several turkeys meet their maker. The plans I had for my M4 inculded hunting and informal target shooting. The iron sights are very good but, optics for deer hunting in the woods are, for me, preferable. I opted for a Burris 1.75 X 5 variable scope and couldn't be more pleased.

The scope was purchased through "Flea Bay" and with shipping, was less than $150.00. Waren QR, extra high rings were chosen to mount the scope but, they were not high enough to clear the rear signt when it was folded down. This required the inclusion of an ARMS riser.

The benefit is that if I want to use the iron sights, the riser, with scope attached, is removed as a complete unit. It can be reinstalled and zero does not change.

The suggestions for Acog or Aimpoint scopes should be reviewed based on you needs. My selection was a result of reading several threads and getting feed back from a "three gun" shooter who used a Leupold 2 X 7 shot gun scope on his flat top AR with great success.

I got a little bit of everything in a Millet DMS-1. They have received great reviews on the interweb. It can be used as a red dot/holo type scope or power up anywhere to x4 for any distance stuff you may need. They also are available for right at $200. That leaves room for a really nice ADM Recon or Larue mount of your choice.

Guest Mugster
Looking to buy a scope for my AR. This is the first scope I have ever bought and I have no idea where to start. I would like to start in the $400 range on the high end. What should I be looking at?

What are you going to use it for?