new 1911

finally figured out how to take a pic and get it off my phone.

thanks to the guys at hero-gear for hooking me up again.

GetAttachment.jpg

Springfield Armory GI Model 1911-A1, its my first 1911, but i really like it.

sights are awful, but i pretty much knew that before i left the shop.

doesnt seem to want to feed JHP very well.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Nice! Hilton Yam over at 10-8 Performance just came out with a sight that drops into the dovetail on those. :)

01_L.jpg

Our National Match style rear sight (01-140), is designed to fit into the dovetail of GI pattern 1911 pistols. Its extra thick serrated blade is .315" tall for compatibility with new production Colts, and features a .140" wide U notch. User installable (with some hand fitting), no machining required. The newly revised design includes a more rounded profile and additional edge chamfers to improve comfort for handling and carry.

10-8 Performance

Shoot a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo through it before you start getting all worked up about feeding problems. The majority of 1911's smooth themselves out pretty quickly.

• Administrator
thanks for the heads up.

i take it if i were to keep this that i would need to have a new dovetail cut in(if possible) in order to use the majority of sights

Having a different dovetail machined into it would definitely open up the field of prospective sights for you. Many use the Novak cut for at least the rear sight, but Kimber is known to use their own cut as is Wilson Combat.

Springfield uses the Novak cut for their TRP, Operator and Loaded guns. Smith & Wesson uses the Novak cut for all of theirs I think.

Shoot a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo through it before you start getting all worked up about feeding problems. The majority of 1911's smooth themselves out pretty quickly.

+1 it may take 500 rounds plus.

i dont know what kind they are but i really liked the factory sights on my XDM, if only they were night sights. is there anything like that available for 1911s?

There are several different options out there. You might have to fiddle with it since it's a GI model, but if it's out there, it's out there for a 1911.

IF JMB wanted fancy sights on his pistol he would have put them there.

the GI sights are fine. You are not going to shoot 100 yard bulls with it are you?

Pick it up, point the barrel at what you want to shoot and see if it doesn't hit it!

Personally if I wanted a gun with fancy sights I wouldn't have bought a GI model. But then I like service model stuff. not for everyone, I know. That Springer is a nice one!

but to add, by all means if you want night sights, or other newer style sights, then by all means get them. Diversity makes the world go round.

Edited by Mike.357
clarification
IF JMB wanted fancy sights on his pistol he would have put them there.

the GI sights are fine. You are not going to shoot 100 yard bulls with it are you?

Pick it up, point the barrel at what you want to shoot and see if it doesn't hit it!

Personally if I wanted a gun with fancy sights I wouldn't have bought a GI model. But then I like service model stuff. not for everyone, I know.

+1 :P:up::eek: