Really dumb question

I have been wanting to get my permit for some time, and now find that I have the time to do so. Unfortunately the reason I have the time is because I am going to have surgery on my right shoulder and am off work. As I am right handed what I would like to know is if when you do the required shooting for the permit class, must you make a certain score to pass. I can shoot left handed, but will stink if I do, and not knowing what is required to pass the class, would like to find out.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I am right handed. I broke my left shoulder a month or so before I took the class. I was able to pass. It wasn't fun, but I passed. You have to make a certain score. We shot left handed, right handed, and two handed. I just kept thinking my life was on the line and I had to make this shot, for each shot I made with my left hand. When its all said and done, you'll be happy you took the class.

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like you have to shoot with both hands. After the surgery I wont be able to move my right arm for a few months, so I guess I will be forced to wait until then. Probably just as well as if I had to draw with my left hand I would probably shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like you have to shoot with both hands....

Suntzu, where did you take your HCP training?

Mariner: very few, if ANY, of the other HCP course venues ask you to shoot any particular way beyond the required distances. Mine certainly didn't.

One handed, two handed, whatever. Only the distances are stipulated by the permit school requirements.

You could simply make sure by asking whichever place you want to take the class from.

- OS

Guest colrmccoll

My wife is about to take the course and here are the shooting requirements:

12 rounds shot at 3 yards

18 @ 7 yards

18 @ 15 yards

Passing is 37 out of 48 on paper.

My wife is about to take the course and here are the shooting requirements:

12 rounds shot at 3 yards

18 @ 7 yards

18 @ 15 yards

Passing is 37 out of 48 on paper.

Technically, it's 12 rounds @ 3, 7, 15 and 12 @ instructor's discretion.

- OS

I'm not sure what all is entailed in the surgery you have to have, or the recovery, but you may want to note that you can shoot the test with whatever caliber handgun you'd want. While it shouldn't be a problem to pass it with your weak side hand, if you were concerned about it you might see if you could handle a .22 rimfire handgun on your strong side, or even on your weak side to help reduce the recoil.

Target is usually a B-27. You can look it up. Simulates about a 6' dude but looks ridiculously huge when shooting at.

You dont' need to shoot right-handed, left-handed, two-handed, between the legs, or over the shoulder with a mirror. All you need to do is put enough holes in the black per state regs.

+1 on the .22 borrow one if you have too. I qualified with my P22. Some people in the class gave me crap about it but the instructor shut that down. Honestly I just did not want to waste any 9mm ammo and I knew I could score just fine with the P22 and I was not there to impress anybody. Ended up w the best score in the class by far.

Good luck!