Inadvertant Violation Of The Law

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

So last night my three year old and I are headed out to a local fast food establishment (that doesn't serve alcohol).

He is mega excited about going to dinner with daddy and the fact that he is going to get chicken nuggets AND french fries. Daddy doesn't force the fruit replacement on him instead of fries like mommy does.

So we are in the restaurant, at the counter, I've just ordered and when the girl gives me the total I go for my wallet. Not there. I grab my phone and call my wife really quick and sure enough, my wallet is sitting right there on the table at my house.

So I've got multiple problems.

1) I'm wearing a gun (concealed).

2) My HCP is in my wallet at my house.

3) My DL is in my wallet at my house.

4) My money is in my wallet at my house.

5) I have a three year old anxiously awaiting chicken nuggets and french fries who am I afraid will go nuclear once he learns we aren't eating.

Short story is I explained the problem to my son and to the lady at the restaurant. We jumped back in the car, went home driving very carefully, got my wallet, and came back. No problems. And my son didn't even freak out!

My big fear was I'd get pulled over, I'd have no license, a gun in the car, and a 3 year old. Just wouldn't look good, despite the fact that it was an honest mistake.

Lesson learned - ALWAYS make sure you have your wallet!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

been there done that....scary feeling....not for the DL, more for the HCP...

yep...good news, I have my wallet on me at all times now..LOL..

but I keep any cash I may have in my pocket, not my wallet

Guest jos2f

Ah I've done this before. I'm always way more worried about not having my HCP than my drivers license.

I've read it on here or somewhere, but you can buy "replacement" or "extra" HCP licenses. Be a good idea to keep one in the car, one at work, one at wallet, one in boat etc. Think they are somewhere between $5-15 each.

Guest pjblurton
but I keep any cash I may have in my pocket, not my wallet

I do the same. My wife figured out that I was keeping cash in my wallet, so I had to relocate it...

LOL....I so know how you feel.

A couple of years ago I was out riding the bike, armed. Had been out a couple of hours or so and stopped to get gas. Small town pumps didn't have a card reader on them, so I pump, go into pay....yep, you guessed it, no wallet.

The lady there understood, she took my name and address and I promised to come back and pay her (about 40 miles from home). Got home and was able to call back and just do the debit card over the phone. But now I have money hidden on the bike just in case.....guess I could get a duplicate HCP to put on there as well.

The lady there understood, she took my name and address and I promised to come back and pay her (about 40 miles from home). Got home and was able to call back and just do the debit card over the phone. But now I have money hidden on the bike just in case.....guess I could get a duplicate HCP to put on there as well.

Luckyyyyyy... :shake:

Guest D.B. Cooper

I did that once, and realized I left my wallet, cash, TNDL, and HCP on my dresser at home as I rolled up to the Drive-Thru Window at McDonalds.... eeek! Apologized to the cashier, drove off and headed home... which fortunately, was about five minutes away.

Guest bkelm18
sure you can, just get a duplicate. its a small fee but you can get it. (in reference to DL's)

Not according to TCA. Even says so on the page where you can order a duplicate online. Sure you can just say you "lost it".

55-50-301. License required — Requirements — Exception. — Applicability to temporary licenses and permits. —

(3) No person shall receive a driver license unless and until the person surrenders to the department all valid licenses in the person's possession, issued to that person by this or any other jurisdiction. All surrendered licenses issued by another jurisdiction shall be returned, together with information that the person is licensed in this state. No person shall be permitted to have more than one (1) valid driver license at any time

Edited by bkelm18
Guest bkelm18

I doubt you would ever get caught if you had more than one. Even if you did, it seems a rather silly thing to be charged with.

Guest jth_3s

Could an officer actually arrest you for not having your HCP on you after he ran your SSN# and realized you had just made a simple mistake?

Could an officer actually arrest you for not having your HCP on you after he ran your SSN# and realized you had just made a simple mistake?

I believe, by the letter of the law, you are supposed to be able to provide your permit to an officer at any time you have your firearm, aka you have to have it on your person.

Yes he could, you are supposed to have it with you and be able to present it anytime you are armed.

Whether he would or not...depends on several factors I guess.

Guest Ggun

It's similar to whether the State can "arrest" a person for not carrying their driver's license while driving, fishing license while fishing, etc.

Ok, it might just be "understood" but I thought I'd go ahead and throw it out there anyway. If you're walking down the street or something you're somewhat screwed but if you are in/proximate your vehicle do what everybody that doesn't have a permit does; unload the thing and put in trunk or wherever else puts it well out of reach. Now you're no different than anybody else moving their firearms from point A to B for the purposes of target shooting/hunting or whatever.

If you don't have your permit on you at the earliest possible time stop carrying like you do. In fact, even if you are stuck away from your vehicle at least make sure you unload the thing. If you were REALLY worried unload it and toss the ammo. Even at todays prices it might be worth it, especially if wherever it is you live has cops that have a rep against personal carry.