body armor

Guest justme

Guest justme

Question--how many have considered owning/wearing body armor?

I've given some thought to it, but have not made any final decisions yet.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have seriously considered getting a level IIIA w/ trauma plates that i could put in the car or keep as part of my BOB. also thought about a level II for wearing if i thought i would need it but then common sense kicks in and i realize im not the punisher walking around.

i definetely want a vest for if SHTF just like i want a BOB i will likely never use, just havent invested the funds for it yet.

logically i really dont know how to justify it if you arent in law enforcement or the military, or private security.

Guest nraforlife

Well now that the Bar Bill is going to pass you may want to wear while eating at Calhouns. Well that is according to the press...

i realize im not the punisher walking around.

:poop: lol

I wear one at work, but that's it and I hate wearing one. You can always pick up a decent Level II or IIIA vest if you just want to have one. Some places are picky about who they sell them to, but you can get them.

Guest bkelm18

Nope, not for me. If I am in a situation where I need body armor, I made some pretty poor decisions leading up to that situation. I certainly wouldn't wear it on a daily basis on the off chance I would enter an armed encounter. I like being prepared but there is a line.

Guest justme
Why would you, are you being deployed?

Body armor should not just be available to the police/military.

the people are at more risk of being victims of violent crime than military or police.

the people are at more risk of being victims of violent crime than military or police.

Man if you are so paranoid that you feel the need to wear Body armor I truly feel sorry for you and think that you need to stay indoors :poop:

I agree with the first part, but if you think you are more likely to be shot at than the police or military you need to get your head checked. I am honestly seriously ****ing insulted by that statement.

Guest bkelm18

It's not just available to Police/Military.

Have you ever worn body armor for extended periods of time? Let me clue you in: It Sucks. If you want to wear body armor all day everyday for no real reason, go right ahead. I think you'll change your mind real quick. It's beneficial to Police and Military to wear it since they can be and often are targets of gunfire. The average Joe is not.

Have you ever worn body armor for extended periods of time? Let me clue you in: It Sucks. If you want to wear body armor all day everyday for no real reason, go right ahead. I think you'll change your mind real quick. It's beneficial to Police and Military to wear it since they can be and often are targets of gunfire. The average Joe is not.

No **** man. I HATE wearing a Level II all day, let alone wearing a flak jacket, helmet, ruck, etc.

Body armor serves a purpose, but to me anybody that just wants to run around with a vest on everyday because they can has got a screw loose.

Guest bkelm18
No **** man. I HATE wearing a Level II all day, let alone wearing a flak jacket, helmet, ruck, etc.

Body armor serves a purpose, but to me anybody that just wants to run around with a vest on everyday because they can has got a screw loose.

+1.

Guest justme
I agree with the first part, but if you think you are more likely to be shot at than the police or military you need to get your head checked. I am honestly seriously ****ing insulted by that statement.

tell that to the 32 people massacred at Virginia Tech in Apr. 2007.

the people are always--ALWAYS the first ones involved in a violent crime--the police only respond AFTER the SHTF. I don't recall a time when a police officer was carjacked on duty, or when an active shooter walked into a police station and opened up...are there instances when LE has been ambushed in the open--I would say yes but those are BY FAR the minority. The people, are always on the front lines of violent crime--because the people, not the police, are always the intended victims of violent criminals--the criminals only turn on the police after the fact....

Edited by justme
Guest justme
It's not just available to Police/Military.

I know--I just said that it should not just be available to LE or the military, because the responder seemed to think that only those who should wear it are the police/military.

Have you ever worn body armor for extended periods of time? Let me clue you in: It Sucks. If you want to wear body armor all day everyday for no real reason, go right ahead. I think you'll change your mind real quick. not.

never said I wanted to wear it all day every day--I merely made the statement that there are instances when the wearing of BA might be useful.

It's beneficial to Police and Military to wear it since they can be and often are targets of gunfire. The average Joe is

then why are there so many instances of gun violence against the average joe?

tell that to the 32 people massacred at Virginia Tech in Apr. 2007.

the people are always--ALWAYS the first ones involved in a violent crime--the police only respond AFTER the SHTF. I don't recall a time when a police officer was carjacked on duty, or when an active shooter walked into a police station and opened up...are there instances when LE has been ambushed in the open--I would say yes but those are BY FAR the minority. The people are always on the front lines of violent crime--because the people are always the intended victims....

Yea 32 students vs. the 150 + police officers that are killed every year or the 1000's of servicemen and women that have been killed in combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Most people never even first hand experience violent crime or anything all that unpleasant in their lives. If you want to play mall ninja that's fine. Your money, your time, your sweaty chafed back and chest from wearing that damn thing in a TN summer.

I think it was three LA Police Officers that got killed a month or so ago, WHILE wearing their body armor as they walked up to a traffic stop. Two were motorcycle officers. Yeah, they need to wear it all the time and even then they aren't safe. So I guess they do "walk" into it sometimes.

Guest justme

I wouldn't want to wear BA everywhere I go--but I can think of places where it is appropriate for the wearing of BA.

I too believe it serves a purpose--and whether an individual chooses to wear BA or not on a regular basis does not necessarily make them have a screw loose.

I have an Eagle carrier with IIIA soft armor right now. Looking to get some rifle plates soon.

I don't want to wear it everyday, but it's a nice addition to my SHTF stash.

I do run with it most everyday. Really kicks your ass after a few miles. It's hot, uncomfortable, and heavy.

Then again, the saying is, "Armor is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable."

Edited by Mike
Guest justme
I think it was three LA Police Officers that got killed a month or so ago, WHILE wearing their body armor as they walked up to a traffic stop. Two were motorcycle officers. Yeah, they need to wear it all the time and even then they aren't safe. So I guess they do "walk" into it sometimes.

yes--never said they don't. I said that by and large the people are the ones on the front end of violent criminals by far more than the police are.

and yes--body armor isn't a protect all--a vest that will stop a bullet will not stop a knife and vice versa....body armor is only another small layer of protection in dangerous areas--but it isn't fool-proof and should not be blindly trusted.

I wouldn't want to wear BA everywhere I go--but I can think of places where it is appropriate for the wearing of BA.

I too believe it serves a purpose--and whether an individual chooses to wear BA or not on a regular basis does not necessarily make them have a screw loose.

In all honesty that degree of Paranoia and hysteria does warrant a screw being loose, you can tell yourself that it does not all day long if it makes you sleep better at night :stir:

Are there situations where it might be useful? Yes. Is it likely to be a "wear everyday" item? Not for the vast majority of folks in their everyday life.

Here are 3 where it is useful....

1. You hear the "bump in the night" and strange voices downstairs and movement in the house. Here might be a place you want the ability to grab something that will stop a bullet and put it on as you grab your gun and move to cover.

2. You work in a job that requires you to make large bank deposits on a regular schedule. Think upscale movie theater manager who might drop 15-20K in the bank on a weekend night in the summer. Would you wear it all night at work? Probably not. But when you go to the bank drop? Yes.

3. Going shooting at Prentice Cooper? :stir: Just kidding.

Guest justme
Yea 32 students vs. the 150 + police officers that are killed every year or the 1000's of servicemen and women that have been killed in combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

and those 150+ police officers are always responding to crime reports AFTER--only AFTER the criminals have already attacked some innocent person--and those thousands have been killed during an 8yr period in Afghanistan and 6 years in Iraq--so let me break those figures down for you..the US serviceman death rate in Iraq is about 716 per year while Afghanistan averages 85 per year. LE has a far lower death rate in this country than the military. But look at the level of violent crime in this nation--the murder, rape, armed robbery, carjacking--always--ALWAYS happening to the every day people who go about their business and simply want to live their lives in peace.

http://icasualties.org/oef/

http://icasualties.org/Iraq/index.aspx

Most people never even first hand experience violent crime or anything all that unpleasant in their lives. If you want to play mall ninja that's fine. Your money, your time, your sweaty chafed back and chest from wearing that damn thing in a TN summer.

reallllly? Tell that to the families of those 32 students of VT. Tell that to the families of the Columbine victims. Tell that to the NUMEROUS domestic violence victims in this country, to those who are mugged and beaten every day, to those who have been carjacked, and to the families of the 15,000+ victims of murder in this country in 2006, and the other 15,000+ in 2007, the 81,000+ rapes in 2006, 423,000+ robberies in 06, with a total violent crime reported in this country in 2006 at 1.3 MILLION violent crimes...sounds to me like there are more people hurt in this country than police, and lets not forget the murder victims in Tn, the forcible rapes, the carjackings, the robberies, and so on.....now tell me again about those 150+ police officers in this country...I'm not anti LE--but they are people like me, and they are no better than me.

Edited by justme
and those 150+ police officers are always responding to crime reports AFTER--only AFTER the criminals have already attacked some innocent person.

your argument is without merit.

reallllly? Tell that to the families of those 32 students of VT. Tell that to the families of the Columbine victims. Tell that to the NUMEROUS domestic violence victims in this country, to those who are mugged and beaten every day, to those who have been carjacked, and to the families of the 15,000+ victims of murder in this country in 2006, and the other 15,000+ in 2007, the 81,000+ rapes in 2006, 423,000+ robberies in 06, with a total violent crime reported in this country in 2006 at 1.3 MILLION violent crimes...sounds to me like there are more people hurt in this country than police, and lets not forget the murder victims in Tn, the forcible rapes, the carjackings, the robberies, and so on.....now tell me again about those 150+ police officers in this country...I'm not anti LE--but they are people like me, and they are no better than me.

Body armor stops rapes? Body armor stops robberies? Body armor keeps someones husband from beating them? Now whose argument is without merit?

Most officers are shot at traffic stops. That means they are stopping someone suspected of committing a crime at that time. Not responding to a crime in progress.

Really if you want to wear body armor just do it, I'll even tell you what brands are good and how much you should pay, but please don't insult my intelligence.