Glock Steel Sight Question?

Guest CK1

is the notch on the Glock STEEL rear sight opened up more, closer to the "goal post" than the polymer rear sight?

(i really really like the stock glock sight picture, but curious if the steel sights will open up a bit more light on the sides of the front, or should i just go to a skinnier front post?)

thanks.

Edited by CK1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want more daylight on each side of the front sight, check Ameriglo. They have all kinds of options. They have always been cheaper when I call and talk to them. Ameriglo My Glock 19, which serves as my carry gun 90% of the time, wears one of their plain back rear "Combat" sights w/ a .200" rear opening and a .125" front tritium sight. There's LOTS of daylight, maybe a bit too much. IIRC, their "Pro Series" rear sights have .180" rear notches, and they are a perfect match for the .125" front, IMO. Don't be afraid to call them--they are very friendly.

Edited by deerslayer

after learning WAY too much about glock sights... think i've found my new glock sights...

looked into the warren/sevigny sights, but they seem kinda too tall for carry, and i've never had good luck w/ black on black set-ups...

thinking of going with an ameriglo square lumi nova front in orange (.125 width) paired with an ameriglo target (.150 width) rear, or maybe the tritium "pro glo" version of the same (.140 width) paired with an ameriglo combat (.180 width) rear... from what i've dug up either way it seems like an excellent set-up for a very reasonable $50-75.

for some reason or other, with my diy experiments using white tape to make a temporary square front, lining up the square in the square notch is super fast, and seems to want to line itself up naturally for me with very little effort... far easier and faster than the "ball in the bucket" for me (think it's 'cause the same reason round dots line up in the 10-8's U so easily...)

gun writer/tactician dave spaulding has been quoted as saying the square pro glo "might be the best sight ever" and todd green from pistol-training.com is a big fan, and since i generally tend to agree with either of those guy's points of view, think i'm going to go this route.

t.green likened them to being on par with the xs big dots with a bit better long range precision, in a lower profile, slightly more conventional package...

we shall see.

IIRC, their "Pro Series" rear sights have .180" rear notches, and they are a perfect match for the .125" front, IMO..

just re-read your comment... is the .180 notch w/ a .125 front really the way?...think the .150 rear notch would not give me enough daylight?

(i'm actually using the sevigny sight specs to guide me... the warren site listed the front as .115 w/ a .120 rear notch, and i like their big pic showing front sight focus, if their site is correct that's only .005 differance between front and rear...:

Warren Tactical Series - Sevigny Front Sight Focus

so wouldn't a .125 front w/ a .150 rear notch mean even more daylight?:)).

(i don't own a set of calipers... anyone know the width of the stock glock front, and the notch width on the stock rear??? would be very helpful...)

:screwy:

I have Sevigny Competition sights on my Glock 34. I'll research it to make sure, but I could almost swear that the Comps are a .150 rear/.115 front combo (much more than a .005 difference). The Sevigny Comps have a perfect sight picture on a G34, IMO. Also, the daylight will vary with sight radius. In other words, the longer the barrel, the thinner the front sight will appear. I'll double check everything, though.

The Comp rear sights' notch is .115 wide and .120 tall (I believe this is what it means). For some reason, they don't list the Comp's rear sight height, but it's the same as all others, and they are .250".

Sevigny Competition

Specifications:

Front Sight: .115” wide x .215” tall, 70 LPI serrations, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Made in the USA, PATENTED design

Drift adjustable rear only

Sevigny Competition w/fiber optic front sight

Same as the “Competition”, with a fiber optic front sight. When heated, the 1mm fiber optic rod melts to a 1/16 th of an inch diameter. The top of the rod diameter and top of the front sight appear flush when aiming.

Specifications:

Front Sight: .115” wide x .215” tall, 70 LPI serrations, 1mm fiber optic through diameter with a .060” front counterbore, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention. Green and Red, 1mm (.040”) fiber optic rod included, approx. 2 ½” long

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, .250” tall, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Installation recommended by a qualified gunsmith only.

Sevigny Carry

Same as the “Competition”, with a wider front sight and rounded outer corners on the rear sight.

Specifications:

Front Sight: .125” wide x .215” tall, no serrations, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, .250” tall, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii top corners, designed to be more “Carry Friendly” with rounded outer corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Installation recommended by a qualified gunsmith only.

Edited by deerslayer
I have Sevigny Competition sights on my Glock 34. I'll research it to make sure, but I could almost swear that the Comps are a .150 rear/.115 front combo (much more than a .005 difference).

thanks. that's exactly the info i needed.

looks like i'm going to go with an ameriglo pro glo orange/tritium front (.140) paired with their serated combat rear (.180 notch).

proportionally should give me about the same amount of daylight as the sevigny's give or take...

they're going on a G17 so i'm thinking it should be a good carry/comp set up.

here's a pic of the same set up (except on a G19) i found on glocktalk:

Ameriglo Pro Glo Sights - Glock Talk

again, thanks for the help!

That is a good looking set of sights--it looks a lot like a Sevigny Competition sight picture (minus the dot). I believe that is the same rear sight as the Pro Series .180 I mentioned earlier. I also like the tritium front/black rear setup for carry guns. One area of concern for me was that none of the 9mm/.40 Ameriglo (.256" or 6.5mm) rear sights were tall enough--they all shot low. It wasn't me; friends tried my guns with the same results. I put the .45 sights (.272" or 6.9mm) on a 19, 23, and 27, and they all shot dead-nuts on. YMMV.

Edited by deerslayer
One area of concern for me was that none of the 9mm/.40 Ameriglo (.256" or 6.5mm) rear sights were tall enough--they all shot low. It wasn't me; friends tried my guns with the same results. I put the .45 sights (.272" or 6.9mm) on a 19, 23, and 27, and they all shot dead-nuts on. YMMV.

thanks, that's good to know in case i get the same issue.