Memorial Day

Guest 2HOW

Guest 2HOW

Memorial Day

Memorial Day was first called Decoration Day. It was a day set aside for us to honor those who died preserving the Union in the Civil War. It was called Decoration Day for the act of decorating the graves of dead soldiers with flowers. On May 5, 1868 General John Logan, National Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, officially proclaimed Decoration Day, in his General Order No. 11. It was first observed on May 30, 1868. General Order No. 11 went on to state that: We are organized, comrades, as our regulations tell us, for the purpose among other things, "of preserving and strengthening those kind and fraternal feelings which have bound together the soldiers, sailors and marines who united to suppress the late rebellion." What can aid more to assure this result than cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foe? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their deaths the tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic.

It is unknown when Decoration Day first became Memorial Day. The Holiday was first celebrated by the people of Waterloo, New York on May 5, 1866 and then again on May 5, 1867. It could be that Decoration Day and Memorial Day were celebrated concurrently in different parts of the North for many years until World War I. The South refused to acknowledge May 30th honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I. On June 19th, 1926 by joint resolution, U.S. Congress authorized and directed the Secratary of War to accept a tablet commemorating the designation of May 30th as Memorial Day. At that time Memorial Day was made a National Holiday and changed from honoring those who died fighting just the Civil War to honoring all Americans who died fighting in all our wars. In May 1966, President Lyndon Johnson officially declared Waterloo, N.Y. as the birthplace of Memorial Day.

Since 1971 Memorial Day is now celebrated by law on the last Monday in May. That year Congress passed the National Holiday Act, P.L. 90-363 to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays.

Since the late 1950’s the 1,200 soldiers of the U.S. 3rd Infantry Brigade place small American flags at each of the 260,000 gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery on the Thursday before Memorial Day. They then patrol the cemetery 24 hours a day during the Memorial Day weekend to ensure that each flag remains standing.

Since December 2000 in an effort to help Americans remember the true meaning of Memorial Day the "National Moment of Remembrance" asks that at 3P.M. local time all Americans pause for a moment of silence in remembrance and respect.

THANK YOU ALL, WE WILL NEVER FORGET !

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

We placed flowers on all the gravesites at our family cemetary. Our cemetary is in LaFollette. Resting there are soldiers who fought on both sides of the Civil War. My Uncle J.C., 101st Airborne, Vietnam, rests there. I spent most of my childhood at his side, as he lost a long battle with Agent Orange. I miss him.

YouTube - American Civil War Battle Reenactment Footage

YouTube - Duty Called - Greg Wilson- Vietnam Veterans Song

YouTube - Ich hatt einen Kameraden/Mein guter Kamerad/My good Comrade

Uhland: Ich hatt' einen Kameraden - German Poetry

BACKGROUND: This Uhland poem—also known as "Der gute Kamerad"—was written in 1809 and later set to music by the German composer Friedrich Silcher in 1825 (using an old folk melody, "Ein schwarzbraunes Mädchen hat ein'n Feldjäger lieb"). Uhland's poem (or Lied) was inspired by the Tyrolian freedom fighters and their struggle against Napoleon. It was popular enough during World War I to be parodied as "Ich hatt' mal Marmelade," reflecting the soldiers' hunger and lack of rations. Although it was written much earlier, the poem/song is often quoted/performed in memory of the veterans of the two world wars and for the German veterans day observance known as Volkstrauertag (on the third Sunday in November).
Guest Bluemax

Gentlemen,

Regardless of whether we have military backgrounds, have family with military background, or are simply able to enjoy the freedom to possess and collect firearms which our Veterans have sacrificed so much for us; I have a request.

Tommorrow is Memorial Day, a day to remember the Heros who have served their country and enabled all of us to enjoy the lifestyles which many of us take for granted. I will be placing flags on several graves in the morning but at 12:00 PM, I am going to take a knee for 60 seconds in remembrance of those who gave so much that we could have our freedom.

My request to you..everyone who reads this is to give these heros the same 60 seconds of respect at 12:00 noon, a small token of our thanks for the many sacrifices they made

Thank You

Max

Guest Bronker

Good idea Max. Great post. I'll be speaking to my kids all day about it. Hope to visit the following heroes in my life:

(WWII) Army veteran grandfather who served in Italy as a half track driver with the 10th Mountain Div.(age 88).

(Vietnam) US Navy veteran father who served as a "blue-shirt" on the flight deck of the USS Forrestal with one John McCain...

(Army Nat'l Gaurd) Father-in-law served 41 years.

Good men, all.

God bless the American warrior.

Guest benchpresspower

To everyone in America and those of us on the forum here as well including family and friends that have or currently are serving, thank you and God bless to all.

Happy Memorial Day. :D:usa:;):usa::usa::usa:

To everyone in America and those of us on the forum here as well including family and friends that have or currently are serving, thank you and God bless to all.

I'll second that!!!

Guest nraforlife

Amen.

Guest Bronker

Despite the cliche', and despite its prevalance as a popular bumper sticker quote, it bears repeating today:

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, thank an American soldier.

Without their sacrifices (some ultimate), we would all be speaking proper Queen's English, German or Japanese.

May God bless the American Warrior.

Guest bkelm18
Despite the cliche', and despite its prevalance as a popular bumper sticker quote, it bears repeating today:

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, thank an American soldier.

Without their sacrifices (some ultimate), we would all be speaking proper Queen's English, German or Japanese.

May God bless the American Warrior.

I agree but I would expand that to all soldiers that have fought by our side. There is no doubt the American warrior is the greatest in the land, but any soldier around the world who has given their life in the hopes of a better, more free future has earned my respect. :poop:

Guest Bronker
I agree but I would expand that to all soldiers that have fought by our side. There is no doubt the American warrior is the greatest in the land, but any soldier around the world who has given their life in the hopes of a better, more free future has earned my respect. :poop:

Bk, I concur 1,000%. Didn't mean to stop short. We didn't do it alone, but without us, there would have been defeat. Guess that's why we are Allied Forces. And your avatar, very appropriate today.

These photos don’t get shown much to the American people, but thanks to the internet more and more people are finding out about these sites in Europe.

Monday, 25 May, is Memorial Day. Whatever you are doing; picnics, bar-b-ques, just enjoying your family and friends; please take a moment to be silent and just remember why we have this national holiday. If you have a military member or veteran in your family, that might be a great time to just say “thank you†for their service. Don’t forget the reservists and National Guard members too.

In alphabetical order. Just Europe.

1. The American Cemetery at Aisne-Marne , France. A total of 2289 of our military dead.

We Apologize?

US_Foreign_Cemetery_001.jpg

2. The American Cemetery at Ardennes , Belgium. A total of 5329 of our dead.

We are arrogant?

US_Foreign_Cemetery_002.jpg

3. The American Cemetery at Brittany, France. A total of 4410 of our military dead.

Excuse us?

US_Foreign_Cemetery_003.jpg

4. Brookwood , England. American Cemetery. A total of 468 of our dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_004.jpg

5. Cambridge , England. 3812 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_005.jpg

6. Epinal , France. American Cemetery. A total of 5525 of our Military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_006.jpg

7. Flanders Field , Belgium. A total of 368 of our military.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_007.jpg

8. Florence , Italy. A total of 4402 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_008.jpg

9. Henri-Chapelle , Belgium. A total of 7992 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_009.jpg

10. Lorraine , France. A total of 10,489 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_010.jpg

11. Luxembourg , Luxembourg. A total of 5076 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_011.jpg

12. Meuse-Argonne. A total of 14246 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_012.jpg

13. Netherlands , Netherlands. A total of 8301 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_013.jpg

14. Normandy , France. A total of 9387 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_014.jpg

15. Oise-Aisne , France. A total of 6012 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_015.jpg

16. Rhone , France. A total of 861 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_016.jpg

17. Sicily , Italy. A total of 7861 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_017.jpg

18. Somme , France. A total of 1844 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_018.jpg

19. St. Mihiel , France. A total of 4153 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_019.jpg

20. Suresnes , France. A total of 1541 of our military dead.

US_Foreign_Cemetery_020.jpg

IF I ADDED CORRECTLY THE COUNT IS 104,366.

Apologize to no one. Remind those of our sacrifice and don't confuse arrogance with leadership.