Why would you want to carry in a CHURCH?

Guest Hyaloid

I realize you are a pastor, but I don't agree. I don't feel obligated to inform anyone that I'm carrying a gun, whether at church or anywhere else. Strictly speaking, as long as I'm not breaking any laws, it's nobody else's business.

You aren’t obligated to tell anyone anything. But if I frequent a place and there are other people there carrying I want to know who they are and I want them to know who I am. It could keep you from being killed or killing an innocent person.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid
You aren’t obligated to tell anyone anything. But if I frequent a place and there are other people there carrying I want to know who they are and I want them to know who I am. It could keep you from being killed or killing an innocent person.

See, if people open carry, there's no need to go around informing everyone! This takes the burden off of you, wondering who is your ally, and who isn't! Another benefit to OC! :D :D :eek:

So, should we all announce to you if we are carrying at our next gathering, or will that just be assumed?

If I CC, I am not going to go around and tell folks. I am CC'ing for a reason.

IMHO of course.

Guest sermon8r

Amen Dave

Guest Kingfish
See, if people open carry, there's no need to go around informing everyone! This takes the burden off of you, wondering who is your ally, and who isn't! Another benefit to OC!

Amen Hyaloid

And I have no problem with that. Certainly each individual is free to do whatever they want to do and/or feel comfortable with. I just personally don't feel any need to do it.

I once talked to a young guy who was trying to find a job in our area. He lived in Charlotte and had just gotten married. During the ceremony some thugs came in and robbed the invited guests.

If I'm in church (don't count on it) and someone comes in to rob us, I think I will be able to figure out who the good guys with guns are and who the bad guys are. Seems pretty pointless for me to tell the minister or anyone else I'm packing. They'll figure it out if the situation ever arrives for me to draw the handgun.

Guest Phantom6

Others such as my priest or one of y'all may guess but whether I'm at church or the liquore store, only God knows for sure and I'd just as soon keep that little secret between He and I. That way if need be, the element of surprise has a much greater impact on those at which it is projected. :eek:

• 1 month later...

It is funny you should ask - Guess who is filling my classes --Most of the local churches are sending people - The very same folks that walked down the hall and said good morning "Right Wing" and I would respond, good morning "left wing". We had great discussions.

It only took some of them to have their homes and cars broken into......No one at my church minds that qualified people carry, in fact we have about 5 to 6 police officers. Now I can not walk down the hall with out some one asking when my next CCW class is scheduled. A very wild change over a year period.

Clark -

Guest CrazyLincoln

Just for comparison. Israel had a similar debate with guns in synagogues. I believe they ultimately determined with the threat of suicide bombers and the like it fell under "in life an death situations" exception in rabbinical law.

I once talked to a young guy who was trying to find a job in our area. He lived in Charlotte and had just gotten married. During the ceremony some thugs came in and robbed the invited guests.

If I'm in church (don't count on it) and someone comes in to rob us, I think I will be able to figure out who the good guys with guns are and who the bad guys are. Seems pretty pointless for me to tell the minister or anyone else I'm packing. They'll figure it out if the situation ever arrives for me to draw the handgun.

heh..at our wedding, there were 5 people THAT I KNOW OF, who were carrying. I know of another one that had heavy artillery in the trunk and was probably carrying and thats just on my side of the family...not sure if Julies' dad was carrying or not..he's sly like that. :cry:

I would have (almost)felt sorry for any dissenters at the wedding...

As a Pastor I do as well. When we were in Memphis (24 yrs.) there were a rash of break ins at Church's. Some while Church was going on. We had to have a constant patrol during services. There were also a number of minister's attacked while at their offices. The neighborhood my church is in here in Nashville has had two breakins in broad daylight and four murders in the area this year.

What good is a shepherd who can't protect his sheep? doesn't make sense to warn of the wolves and not be ready for them.

Nuts who want to cause trouble do not care where the location is, whether it be Kroger, the mall, movies, church, or school. That is why it is senseless that TN does not allow carry by those licensed in places that serve alcohol, schools, and posted properties. I don't think a crazy that wants to do people harm cares if it is against the law to have a firearm in Outback or XYZ University.

Guest canynracer

being catholic, I think the preist, and the choir are packin...oh wait, they cant carry anyplace that sells alcohol for consumption...nevermind....seriously though, if I ever get my permit...I will carry to church

Guest CrazyLincoln
;)If someones robbing a church or going postal during a service,then an enlightened HCP holder should put the "Fear of GOD" in them.

For some reason, that brings up a Pulp Fiction mental image

"Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man...."

For some reason, that brings up a Pulp Fiction mental image

"Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man...."

In my Bible Ezekiel 25:17 doesn't say anything about "The path of a righteous man...". However in Luke 22:36 JESUS says,"...and he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment,and buy one."

Guest CrazyLincoln
In my Bible Ezekiel 25:17 doesn't say anything about "The path of a righteous man...". However in Luke 22:36 JESUS says,"...and he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment,and buy one."

It's a movie reference. Only the last line is somewhat correct. The extra parts were added for dramatic effect.

Guest canynracer

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.