Kayaking anyone?

My fiance and I like the outdoors and I have recently started looking into kayaking. I have very limited knowledge of the sport but think that we would enjoy some sort of sit-on-top tandem. The one I keep going back to is the Pelican APEX 130T DLX.

In my head it seems like it would be lots of fun to go paddle around the backwater areas of Percy Priest for the day.

So finally to the question; does anyone here do any kayaking of this sort and what kind of things should I know to watch out for? Thanks guys and gals.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you. Just getting into it again. Bought a kayak Monday at Dicks. Gonna try and get out during the day tomorrow. I work 2nd so its kinda hard to have time till the weekend. I live on the boro side of Smyrna, so if you want to go out together sometime let me know. Its been about 8 years since I've been out kayaking.

Yea, we live down towards the boro also. And, I also work all during the week so the weekends would be our only possibility to get out on the water. But i'll PM you sometime if we do decide to try it out.

My fiance and I like the outdoors and I have recently started looking into kayaking. I have very limited knowledge of the sport but think that we would enjoy some sort of sit-on-top tandem. The one I keep going back to is the Pelican APEX 130T DLX.

In my head it seems like it would be lots of fun to go paddle around the backwater areas of Percy Priest for the day.

So finally to the question; does anyone here do any kayaking of this sort and what kind of things should I know to watch out for? Thanks guys and gals.

I have been kayaking going on 3 years now, but canoed for 5 or so years before that. We have the Elk River down this way, an easy Class I float with lots of scenery.

I know that the sit on top's are supposed to be great for fishing; getting in and out of etc., but I have never owned one. I know that during cold weather my sit in kayak offers more protection from the wind/cold etc especially combined with a spray skirt. So I guess that choice depends on how/when you are planning to kayak.

Tandem vs. Solo Kayaks? I am sure there are fans of tandem kayaks...but I have never tried one. But if it is as hard as it would seem to be, I am not sure I would enjoy it. Even canoeing together puts an awful lot of stress on a relationship...lol. They say that a couple who can canoe together is guaranteed at least a 20 year relationship.

Try it out first. Not sure what you have in Nashville, but I know in Knoxville that Blue Ridge Mountain Sports and River Sports used to have "Water Days" when you could try out their line of kayaks before you bought one. Also you might inquire at the canoe rental places near you, most have at least a limited fleet of kayaks.

Good luck with your purchase. A bad day on the water is better than most other good days in life.

If you ever get down to southern middle TN, make sure to try out the Elk River, and look me up.

Bill

Just took up the sport of kayaking. Picked up a kayak at Gander Mtn. to go after geocaches. Took the craft out on Graham Lake, outside of Jackson, TN, found 4 caches there. May take it this summer on the Cumberland River in Nashville and go after several caches there.

Guest JHatmaker

I've got two kayaks, and tried to get a kayak/canoe trip started up recently but it kinda fizzled away. I've been on the Buffalo and Duck River south of Nashville.

If anyone ever wants to join me, let me know, I'd love to get back on the water soon. Wadejjet (or anyone for that matter), email me if you want to try one of my sit-in kayaks to see if you'll like it vs the sit on tops. We can take them down to the Duck river one weekend. I'm in Franklin.

Email is jhatmaker24@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jason

I have a friend that was real into whitewater kayaking, and a few years ago he convinced me to kayak the Hiawassee with him one day.

Now, I'm an extremely strong swimmer, and I'm very comfortable in the water, but I was hesitant to agree to go as I had never so much as attempted to roll a kayak before.

He convinced me it was a very docile river, and I wouldn't need to know how.

About 45 minutes after putting in, we went over a 3ft drop (when it's only a 3ft drop you can't call it a waterfall, right? :tinfoil:) and I proceeded to capsize. 3 gallons of river water later, I'm swimming my bailed kayak into the shore for a breather. You see, I really needed to catch my breath in order to curse my "friend" for not insisting to teach me to roll a kayak before our excursion. :lol:

I never went kayaking again, not because I didn't want to, just because the opportunity hasn't presented itself in an opportune time again since then. I'd like to give it another shot on a more serious river... AFTER I learn to roll the damn thing in a pool :tinfoil:

Thanks for all of the post guys....i knew there had to be few folks on here that liked this kind of stuff. Bill, thanks for the sound advice on relationships haha. And Jhatmaker i appreciate that offer a lot. I might have to take you up on that someday.

Thanks again to all.

-Timothy

I've got two kayaks, and tried to get a kayak/canoe trip started up recently but it kinda fizzled away. I've been on the Buffalo and Duck River south of Nashville.

If anyone ever wants to join me, let me know, I'd love to get back on the water soon. Wadejjet (or anyone for that matter), email me if you want to try one of my sit-in kayaks to see if you'll like it vs the sit on tops. We can take them down to the Duck river one weekend. I'm in Franklin.

Email is jhatmaker24@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jason

Jason - where are you putting in/taking out of the Duck? I have used River Rats for canoe rentals since they are just down the road a few miles - but only for rentals of their gear.

I picked up a 12.5" family style canoe last summer, and just got a sit-on kayak this spring, and I'd LOVE to go.

I'll email you, and would definately be interested in hitting the water some time...

I have a friend that was real into whitewater kayaking, and a few years ago he convinced me to kayak the Hiawassee with him one day.

Now, I'm an extremely strong swimmer, and I'm very comfortable in the water, but I was hesitant to agree to go as I had never so much as attempted to roll a kayak before.

He convinced me it was a very docile river, and I wouldn't need to know how.

About 45 minutes after putting in, we went over a 3ft drop (when it's only a 3ft drop you can't call it a waterfall, right? :hyper:) and I proceeded to capsize. 3 gallons of river water later, I'm swimming my bailed kayak into the shore for a breather. You see, I really needed to catch my breath in order to curse my "friend" for not insisting to teach me to roll a kayak before our excursion. :down:

I never went kayaking again, not because I didn't want to, just because the opportunity hasn't presented itself in an opportune time again since then. I'd like to give it another shot on a more serious river... AFTER I learn to roll the damn thing in a pool :drool:

ROTFL

I have been down the Hiwassee River many times. I learned to whitewater canoe there. Kayaking is a lot of fun, but too much work for me now that I am older. Funyaks at the Hiwassee is great fun and no rolling required. I have taken kids as young as 6 down this river with good results.

The Ocoee is another story...

Guest JHatmaker
Jason - where are you putting in/taking out of the Duck? I have used River Rats for canoe rentals since they are just down the road a few miles - but only for rentals of their gear.

I picked up a 12.5" family style canoe last summer, and just got a sit-on kayak this spring, and I'd LOVE to go.

I'll email you, and would definately be interested in hitting the water some time...

Thats who I use! I'm definately down for a trip.

Well like I said - I'm about 8-10 minutes down the road from them, and my parents; farm is about 3-5 minutes from them.

Any idea what they charge for shuttle if you BYO kayak/canoe? I have always just rented theirs in the past.

I've been kayaking for about 25 years now. In fact, that is the main reason I moved to TN, the rivers are just so good here.

Here's a couple of pics of the places I like to go. First one is Baby Falls on the Tellico. The second is Potter's Falls on Crooked Fork near Wartburg.

Tellico1.jpg

CrookedFork_2008-4-11_2.jpg

My wife and I are wanting to get into it also. Is there a website that tells what would be the best boat for starting off with or is it like buying a scope.......buy once, cry once and get it over with.

For whitewater kayaking, you can try www.boatertalk.com . It's a forum similar to TGO, but dedicated to kayaking. Be forewarned, the atmosphere is not quite like TGO, they are mostly granola eating, Birkenstock wearing, tree hugging hippie types, who like to argue a lot. But there are several "Review" areas that you can look at what other people think of different boats and gear.

I see you live in Knoxville. Look up River Sports, go by and talk to them. They've got lots of whitewater and flatwater boats. They usually have a Spring Demo Day, where they bring all their boats to a lake and let you paddle around in them. I think they even let you rent kayaks if you want to try one out for a whole day.

You need to decide before you buy the type of kayaking you want to do. A flatwater boat will get you killed on whitewater. A whitewater boat will frustrate the hell out of you on a lake.

It is an awesome sport. Fun, good excersize, you'll see amazing places most people can't get to. If your kayaking with your wife, you'll have something to do together.

I think I'm gonna try and get out one day this weekend. I can put in the Stones River at Nice Mill dam and pull out at the West Fork Boat Ramp. It looks like several miles and the dam is less than a mile from my house.

Guest ScottD
I think I'm gonna try and get out one day this weekend. I can put in the Stones River at Nice Mill dam and pull out at the West Fork Boat Ramp. It looks like several miles and the dam is less than a mile from my house.

Let me know when you go. I might be interested in joining you.

Guest sharpshooter01

Here is my Heritage 9.5 the day I bought it:

yak.jpg

And here is some of the fun you can have out of a kayak if your in to fishing:

185brown5-29-08.jpg

crappie42608.jpg

This little kayak is fun to paddle and fish from. I paid around $450 for it with the angler package. It is very stable and light, about 40 lbs. I eventually want to get a sit on top because I hear they are alot more comfortable, but this one is doing a great job for my first yak and it has a lifetime warranty!

My buddy and I went out yesterday to try our kayaks out. We put in at the canoe launch on Stewart's Creek by the airport in Smyrna. Floated down to Volunteer park. Prob 4-5 miles. Had to sneak under a pipe at one point, prob less than 18 inches of clearance. I ended up taking mine back to Dicks and getting another model that was alot more stable. It's the Trophy 126. Had alot of fun out there yesterday. Hoping to get a chance to try it again this weekend. I live over by Nice Mill dam so that's my next place I want to put in at.

Guest ScottD

Anyone interested in doing some paddling Sunday? I did 8.6 miles of the Red River with PA+ yesterday and we had a blast.

Edited by ScottD