Police: Man said 30,000 bullets were for target practice He is held on $500,000 bail

Guest edge3343

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because if you have money in the bank and you go to withdraw $8-10k to buy something with, the IRS/FBI and maybe the DEA are immediately going to be notified and you are most likely going to be interrogated as to what you plan to do with your own money.

i have to say, I am a tin foil hatter of the first order, but this is way over the top.

Flat out not true. I have withdrawn cash in that amount and nothing ever came of it.

Guest justme

i have to say, I am a tin foil hatter of the first order, but this is way over the top.

I'm not a tin foil hatty--I am just by nature distrustful of the government and look at everything they do trying to find where the ulterior motive is--because somewhere lurking behind the scenes it exists.

Flat out not true. I have withdrawn cash in that amount and nothing ever came of it.

just because nothing ever came of it does not mean the IRS was not informed...there is a limit to cash that you can withdraw before the IRS has to be notified--last I heard it was something like $10k, but the limit could have been reduced by now.

it is the prerogative of the agency whether or not they choose to check on it.

if you doubt what I am saying--I would remind you of the member of Ron Pauls campaign who was seized in Missouri by the TSA for carrying $4000--and remember how they treated him..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMB6L487LHM

Edited by justme
Guest 70below

Some of my family and I had a construction and renovations company when I first moved to Tennessee. We would quite often deposit large amounts when a home sold, or we were released funds on construction loan.

We had several instances when our funds were "frozen" for a period of days and the reason according to the bank (First Tennessee) was that new homeland security laws required them to make notifications to the IRS and "other" government agencies.

Several times it really put a hurting on us, and needless to say, we were pretty upset. Whether this is still the case, or if it was just our bank doing something they shouldn't be, I'm not certain.

They said some of the ammo was .22lr, but didn't specify how much. 30,000 rounds of .22 would only be about 55 bricks. At $14 a brick, that is still under $800.

It kind of reminds me of the shooter in AL who had an "arsenal" consisting of 2 rifles and a box of 500 .22lr bullets! Oh my...!!!!

...just because nothing ever came of it does not mean the IRS was not informed...there is a limit to cash that you can withdraw before the IRS has to be notified--last I heard it was something like $10k, but the limit could have been reduced by now....

Not withdrawal. Deposit.

If it's in your bank account, it's already a matter of record.

Large cash deposits were first logged/reported as possible drug money investigation leads good long while ago. And I think that is/was reported to FBI. Now, who knows, but logically ,deposits are what would interest any agency more than withdrawal.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest justme
Not withdrawal. Deposit.

If it's in your bank account, it's already a matter of record.

Large cash deposits were first logged/reported as possible drug money investigation leads good long while ago. And I think that is/was reported to FBI. Now, who knows, but logically ,deposits are what would interest any agency more than withdrawal.

- OS

you have to remember that we have now been saddled with homeland insecurity and the "patriot act" among a host of other worthless items that we have been saddled with to burden our lives and bleed our Constitutional rights away...

I also know that depositing "large amounts" of money gets their attention, but I can almost without a doubt assure you that withdrawing large sums also does the exact same thing...anytime a person has a "significant" amount of money on them they are either automatically considered either a drug dealer or a terrorist--because who else would dare keep large sums of cash on them...

but I get what you are saying.

Guest crystalm

Am I really the only one to notice that the paper also gave the poor guys home address??

Medline Abiles, of 43 Freeman St., who resides across the street from Garcia's house...two-family house at 12 Freeman St.

Guest canynracer

Massachusetts Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Massachusetts?

Caution: This summary is meant for general purposes only. Firearm laws frequently change and the following answers may not reflect changes in the laws.

Quick Reference

Rifles and Shotguns

• Permit to Purchase: FID Required
  • Registration of Firearm*: No
  • Licensing of Owner: Yes
  • Permit to Carry: FID Required

Handguns

• Permit to Purchase: Yes
  • Registration of Firearm*: No
  • Licensing of Owner: Yes
  • Permit to Carry: Yes

*Police recordation made of transfers.

Purchase

A complex procedure is set out for the purchase of rifles, shotguns, handguns, their related feeding devices, ammunition, "large capacity firearms" and "large capacity feeding devices." Care must be taken to have the correct card or license for a particular purchase.

It is unlawful to sell or transfer any firearm, firearm feeding device, or ammunition to a person without the proper card, license, or permit. See possession for how to acquire a card, license, or permit.

An alien or non-resident class A or class B temporary license to carry a firearm shall not be valid for the purpose of purchasing handguns, ammunition or ammunition feeding devices.

Persons over 70 shall be exempt from all renewal license fees.

A private individual is permitted to sell not more than four firearms (rifles, shotguns, or handguns) per year unless sold directly to a licensed gun dealer. He must be properly licensed to possess these firearms and the purchaser must be properly licensed to buy them.

The seller must file a report of the sale with the Executive Director of the Criminal History Systems Board within seven days of the sale. This report must be on the proper forms provided by the Executive Director and give all required details regarding the seller, purchaser and the firearm being transferred, including the caliber, make and serial number, and the FID, license or permit number of the buyer.

It is unlawful to sell, transfer, or possess "any assault weapon or a large capacity ammunition feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994."

Dealers are forbidden to sell or transfer in any way a handgun that is composed of metal with a melting temperature of less than 900¢ª F, tensile strength of less than 55,000 lbs. per square inch, or having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter, unless the handgun passes a performance test, an unsafe handgun, or handgun with a barrel less than three inches without a written notice of its accuracy.

Gun dealers are required to post a sign advising that:

"It is unlawful to store or keep a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun in any place unless that weapon is equipped with tamper-resistant safety device or is stored or kept in a securely locked container."

The written warning must be provided to a purchaser or transferee.

Possession

Firearms and feeding devices for firearms are divided into classes. Depending on the class, a firearm identification card (FID or "card"), class A license or class B license is required to possess, purchase, or carry a firearm, ammunition therefor, or firearm feeding device, or "large capacity feeding device."(*1 See Page 4) One's home or place of business is not exempt from the FID or class A or B license requirements.

A FID(*2 See Page 4) authorizes a person to possess, purchase, or carry only a non large capacity rifle or shotgun and feeding devices and ammunition therefor.

The card "shall be issued" by the police chief to a person residing or having a place of business within his jurisdiction, unless:

• The applicant has a disqualifying conviction or juvenile adjudication.
  • Been confined for mental illness or confined or treated for drug addiction or drunkenness.
  • Is a fugitive.
  • Is subject to a domestic protective order.
  • Is an alien.
  • Is under 15 or is more than 15 and less than 18 and does not have parental or guardian permission.

The licensing authority may not prescribe any other condition for the issuance of the card. The colonel of state police is the issuing authority where a local issuing authority does not exist. The card shall be issued or denied within 30 days of application.

A card holder may possess any large capacity firearm (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) at a gun club to which a class A license has been issued or under the direct supervision of a class A license holder at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range.

A card holder may also possess a non-large capacity handgun or a large capacity rifle or shotgun at a gun club to which a class A license has been issued or under the direct supervision of a class A or B license holder at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range.

Class A Carry License

Class A carry license is required to possess, purchase, or carry any large capacity firearm (handgun, rifle, or shotgun), large capacity ammunition feeding devices therefor, and ammunition therefor.

The license "may" be issued by the same issuing authority as for a card to a person at least 21 who is eligible for a card and demonstrates he is a "suitable person" and "has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including...sport or target practice only." Restrictions may be placed on the license.

Class B Carry License

Class B carry license entitles the licensee to possess, purchase or carry any non-large capacity handgun, and any large or non-large capacity rifle or shotgun, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor.

A class B carry license also entitles the licensee to possess a large-capacity handgun under a class A club license or the direct supervision of a class A license holder at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range.

The requirements for the license are the same as for a class A license. Restrictions may be placed on the license. As in a class A license, the class B license shall be issued or denied within 40 days of application. Page 2

- Class A & B License Cont.

- Exemptions

- Carry

- Non-Residents

- Temporary Licenses

I would imagine that his citizenship played a part in his arrest:

from the law:

An alien or non-resident class A or class B temporary license to carry a firearm shall not be valid for the purpose of purchasing handguns, ammunition or ammunition feeding devices.

The card "shall be issued" by the police chief to a person residing or having a place of business within his jurisdiction, unless:

• The applicant has a disqualifying conviction or juvenile adjudication.
  • Been confined for mental illness or confined or treated for drug addiction or drunkenness.
  • Is a fugitive.
  • Is subject to a domestic protective order.
  • Is an alien.
  • Is under 15 or is more than 15 and less than 18 and does not have parental or guardian permission.

From the story:

The judge ordered Garcia to surrender his passport, and said that if he makes bail he is not to leave Massachusetts. Garcia is a native of the Dominican Republic who was expected to become a U.S. citizen yesterday, but then he was arrested, authorities said.

--last I heard it was something like $10k, but the limit could have been reduced by now.

I do believe that 10k is the limit in cash that can be carried legally out of the country

I don't have 30k rounds yet, but I am hopeful to have that much someday

Garcia is a native of the Dominican Republic who was expected to become a U.S. citizen yesterday, but then he was arrested, authorities said.

isnt that the crime? owning/possessing a handgun in this country and you are not a legal citizen?

No, you don't have to be a citizen to own a gun. If he was going to become a citizen the next day, then he had to at least have a green card (permanant resident) and that allows you to own/buy a gun. In TN it's enough to allow you to get a carry permit.

Mass. outlaws hi cap mags. So if he bought the guns in NH as the article stated then he would have recieved regular capacity magazines. It does sound like they are setting his bail based on the sheer volume of ammunition that he had. That's why I'm moving even further into the deep south!!!

Guest lan2i

All biased aside, I myself am not at all wealthy, but have a family member who is well off, and he currently has over 7,000 5.56 NATO rounds. And thousands of countless handgun rounds. Why should this make him a threat?

As someone else stated, just because no one ever came knocking on your door doesn't mean there was not a report filed about your transactions.

Bank Secrecy Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CBP website:

You may bring into or take out of the country, including by mail, as much money as you wish. However, if it is more than $10,000, you will need to report it to CBP. Ask the CBP officer for the Currency Reporting Form (FinCen 105). The penalties for non-compliance can be severe.

All biased aside, I myself am not at all wealthy, but have a family member who is well off, and he currently has over 7,000 5.56 NATO rounds. And thousands of countless handgun rounds. Why should this make him a threat?

Simple, it doesn't.

Guest Traumaslave

Guess I had better be ready for a knock on my door. I just ordered 40k primers to go with my 20 something k ammo stash. :up: