ACT NOW!!!! BILLS MOVING TODAY 5-18-09 PARKS AND CARRY IN VEHICLE

Guest Bronker
But will Fallguy come to our hearings? :P

"Your honor, I defer my right to legal counsel representation and call to the bench instead, this guy I met on the internet. He either knows a lot or has a lot of time on his hands. But, I'm down with Fallguy if that's ok with you."

What could possibly go wrong?

Fallguy--love ya. Mean it. :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read Senate amendment 3 (which makes the bill) is that loaded mag can be in the AR as long as there is not a round in the chamber, just like the shotgun.

Leaves folks with single/double barrel and over/under shotties right where they were before.

Just can't believe how both obtuse and abstruse legislators are.

A sane person would simply ban or allow "loaded guns" and leave it at that.

- OS

Guest stovepipe

Sorry, I haven't been following this bill... What's next, does it go to the Governer, or are there other things to be done?

This was the state park related one only, yes?

Assuming yes, what's status of municipal park one?

- OS

This is what FOX 17 is reporting tonight.

WZTV FOX 17/Nashville

With BC-TN-XGR--Senate RollCall-Guns in Parks

May 18, 2009 20:53 EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Senate has voted to allow people with carry permits to bring their handguns into all state and local parks in Tennessee.

The chamber also approved a measure to allow permit holders to transport ammunition alongside rifles or shotguns inside their vehicles.

The parks measure sponsored by Republican Senate Judiciary Chairwoman Mae Beavers of Mt. Juliet passed on a 24-8 vote.

The bill would allow permit holders to carry handguns in all local parks, unless local governments specifically vote to ban them.

The guns in cars bill passed unanimously.

The two chambers would have to work out the differences on both bills before the governor could consider them.

------

Read SB0976 and SB0578 at: http://www.capitol.tn.gov

Thanks...

Lordie, I hope the local parks one gets enacted, if this is correct.

- OS

The bill would allow permit holders to carry handguns in all local parks, unless local governments specifically vote to ban them.

I wonder if they are going to change the rules sign at local parks to remove the "No Firearms" language. I know that if the Kingston Springs government votes to ban them I will never attend any event or support the two city parks here.

"Your honor, I defer my right to legal counsel representation and call to the bench instead, this guy I met on the internet. He either knows a lot or has a lot of time on his hands. But, I'm down with Fallguy if that's ok with you."

What could possibly go wrong?

Fallguy--love ya. Mean it. :P

LOL...funny bunch. Sure I'll come to any court hearings...lol Because I do have a lot of times on my hands.....so much better than having a life....lol

Leaves folks with single/double barrel and over/under shotties right where they were before.

- OS

Good point

Sorry, I haven't been following this bill... What's next, does it go to the Governer, or are there other things to be done?

Correct

I want all the bills to pass but this was the one I wanted the most since I always carry when I'm out.

Me too!! Since I will probably consume at a restaraunt this one really helps me even more, like when I'm out on the bike.

This was the state park related one only, yes?

Assuming yes, what's status of municipal park one?

- OS

The seneate put local parks back together with state parks and passed it. Even made it legal by default in local parks, they would have to vote to opt out. Also they would have to opt out the whole park, not just parts of it.

I wonder if they are going to change the rules sign at local parks to remove the "No Firearms" language. I know that if the Kingston Springs government votes to ban them I will never attend any event or support the two city parks here.

From what I can tell all signs would stay the same. The reason this is, is because removing or changing signs would cost money. Many of the legislators might not have voted for it with the fiscal note that would have created.

From what I can tell all signs would stay the same. The reason this is, is because removing or changing signs would cost money. Many of the legislators might not have voted for it with the fiscal note that would have created.

This could be confusing not knowing if your local/city government has voted to ban guns in the park. I guess we small towners should pay more attention to our local legislation no matter how boring that could be.

This could be confusing not knowing if your local/city government has voted to ban guns in the park. I guess we small towners should pay more attention to our local legislation no matter how boring that could be.

Yep and Yep

Guest HexHead

- OS

Not really. Presently, isn't the shotgun considered loaded even if there is a box of shells next to it in the trunk? I don't really care about not being able to have one in the chamber in a long gun in the trunk. At least we'd be able to have loaded magazines in there now too. As I read the final bill, it doesn't ban even having a mag in the gun as long as there isn't a round in the chamber.

Not really. Presently, isn't the shotgun considered loaded even if there is a box of shells next to it in the trunk? I don't really care about not being able to have one in the chamber in a long gun in the trunk. At least we'd be able to have loaded magazines in there now too. As I read the final bill, it doesn't ban even having a mag in the gun as long as there isn't a round in the chamber.

Well, I guess that's a minor difference...

But remember, this is only allowed for folks with a HCP ... so, it's just totally absurd that you're allowed to have one in the chamber with your handgun, but not same with a rifle or shotgun. Like a long gun behind seat or in trunk is more dangerous than a freaking heater stuck in your pants?

- OS

Guest crotalus01

Serious question regarding the "long guns" law: I like to load up magazines for my M11 9mm submachinegun before going to the range because they are 32 round single stack mags and take forever to load. I normally transport it in my trunk with one mag in the magwell, bolt closed (open bolt gun).

Is my M11 considered a "long gun"? Its 13 inches total with a 5" barrel, not including the length of the collapsable OEM stock.

Any news on carry in WMA's? 640,000 acres of the Cherokee National Forest, 12 law enforcement officers, and no security. This locks everything from the GA state line to the Great Smokey Mountains. So, soon I'll be able to carry in a bar, but not in the forest. Makes perfect sense to me.....

Guest SUNTZU
So, soon I'll be able to carry in a bar, but not in the forest. Makes perfect sense to me.....

:D Its too much trouble to come find you in the forest, you right wing extremist.

This long gun bill will make things a lot easier for me next hunting season (and going to the range). Don't have to worry about locking the freekin' ammo in the toolbox in the back of my truck anymore. I don't really care about actually loading my long gun in the truck, but it sure will be nice not having to worry about a box of ammo sitting right next to it.

Guest djack41

- OS

Not true. Today, 39-17-1307 makes it a crime to carry a firearm with intent to go armed.

39-17-1308 provides a "defense" to 39-17-1307 if the weapon was not concealed, was unloaded and ammo was not in the immediate vicinity of the individual or the weapon.

For HCP holders, this bill creates an "exception" (as opposed to a defense) to 39-17-1307. Under the bill, any HCP will be able to carry a rifle or shotgun, openly or concealed, during transport in a private vehicle. Ammo can be in a clip, magazine or in close proximity, but not in the chamber. Ammo can always be chambered for self defense.

The NRA and TFA helped draft the the senate amendment and both support the compromise language. Maybe they are not "sane" but by any measure, the bill is a significant improvement of the law for HCP holders.

The caption of this bill was drawn too narrowly to address non-HCPs. An attempt will be made to address them with an amendment to another bill that has a broader caption.

Not true. Today, 39-17-1307 makes it a crime to carry a firearm with intent to go armed.

39-17-1308 provides a "defense" to 39-17-1307 if the weapon was not concealed, was unloaded and ammo was not in the immediate vicinity of the individual or the weapon.

For HCP holders, this bill creates an "exception" (as opposed to a defense) to 39-17-1307. Under the bill, any HCP will be able to carry a rifle or shotgun, openly or concealed, during transport in a private vehicle. Ammo can be in a clip, magazine or in close proximity, but not in the chamber. Ammo can always be chambered for self defense.

The NRA and TFA helped draft the the senate amendment and both support the compromise language. Maybe they are not "sane" but by any measure, the bill is a significant improvement of the law for HCP holders.

The caption of this bill was drawn too narrowly to address non-HCPs. An attempt will be made to address them with an amendment to another bill that has a broader caption.

I simply meant, gist of the exception could merely read, "HCP holders may carry loaded rifles/shotguns in privately owned vehicles."

I guess they could have added, "shell in chamber is allowed if manual safety is present and engaged, on Mondays and Thursdays only, except in June".

So yes, of course it's a big improvement, but why the extra complication?

- OS

Guest HexHead
Well, I guess that's a minor difference...

But remember, this is only allowed for folks with a HCP ... so, it's just totally absurd that you're allowed to have one in the chamber with your handgun, but not same with a rifle or shotgun. Like a long gun behind seat or in trunk is more dangerous than a freaking heater stuck in your pants?

- OS

I agree. Maybe it's because we "qualified" with a handgun?

AND NOW YOU CAN CARRY IN HTE NATIONAL FORREST AND WMA

How so National Forest? The federal law is for National Parks and Federal Wildlife refuges. And that's not for 15 months.

Also, even with the new state park proposed law, are TN WMA areas covered?

- OS

How so National Forest? The federal law is for National Parks and Federal Wildlife refuges. And that's not for 15 months.

Also, even with the new state park proposed law, are TN WMA areas covered?

- OS

Today when I went to the range in the Cheatham Co. WMA, I removed the mag from my Glock when I entered the area and re-inserted it on the range to shoot. When I left I had a loaded mag but not in the pistol until I left the boundry of the WMA. But during deer season you can hunt there with a type 94 licence so when you step out of your vehicle you can load your hunting rifle or handgun on the area to hunt. :lol:

ARRRRGGGGGGGG#&^%#!*&.

WMR's need to be covered somehow.