Chillhowee park carry

Guest m&pc9

Guest m&pc9

I know it says park. Can you carry in chilhowie park? I dont think it is an actual park no swing sets or ball parks. And they have gun shows there. Im going to a truck show there. So can I carry?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Is the zoo considered part of the park?

Or do you have relatively compliant posting there?

- OS

That's kind of a gray area. The zoo is private property, not owned by the city, however, it is within the boundaries of Chilhowee Park. In either event, the zoo is posted, albeit improperly. I don't know what the law says about private property within city property. I certainly wouldn't OC there. The zoo's rangers are a little skittish and usually sh*t a brick if they see someone carrying. Not to mention, a good majority of the people that work there are of the liberal tree-hugging variety. :tinfoil:

I believe you but, Why do they allow so many open carry during the gun show.

All guns carried into the show are supposed to be unloaded and further disabled with cable tie before entry. Obviously, as far as CCW, this is up to the individual to declare.

Of course you can carry a cable tied gun around, or wear it in a holster.

Possession of weapons during gun show is of course a special dispensation in the law...you could even have a gun at a, gasp, school sponsored event.

- OS

Guest Ggun
All guns carried into the show are supposed to be unloaded and further disabled with cable tie before entry. Obviously, as far as CCW, this is up to the individual to declare.

Of course you can carry a cable tied gun around, or wear it in a holster.

Possession of weapons during gun show is of course a special dispensation in the law...you could even have a gun at a, gasp, school sponsored event.

- OS

Yea, but most of us don't want a felony charge to go along with being there, so I'd advise against carrying at the school sponsored event.:P

Yea, but most of us don't want a felony charge to go along with being there, so I'd advise against carrying at the school sponsored event.:P

I think you misunderstood my meaning.

"39-17-1310. Affirmative defense to carrying weapons on school property. —

It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under § 39-17-1309(a)-(d) that the person's behavior was in strict compliance with the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:

(1) A person hunting during the lawful hunting season on lands owned by any public or private educational institution and designated as open to hunting by the administrator of the educational institution;

(2) A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while transversing the grounds of any public or private educational institution for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting with the intent to hunt on the public or private lands unless the lands of the educational institution are posted prohibiting entry;

(3) A person possessing guns or knives when conducting or attending “gun and knife shows†and the program has been approved by the administrator of the educational institution; or

(4) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1991, ch. 510, § 4.] "

• 1 year later...
There is an exception for gun shows.

39-17-1311(:((1)(G)(iii)

Old post, but again, the state statute does not apply to Knoxville; they legally rejected it.

Unless you want to argue that a municipality can pick and choose which sections of a given statute they accept and which sections they reject.

so chilhowee is off limits during the fair???

It is a Knoxville city park. Gun possession is illegal in Knoxville city parks. Why would the fair change that?

- OS

Guest buttonhook

They should still be required to legally post those parks when a city opt. out of the state law....because I was there and where I went in (west entrance) was not posted anywhere not signs saying anything about it being illegal or anything I looked. So I guess I know now............good to know

Edited by buttonhook
They should still be required to legally post those parks when a city opt. out of the state law....because I was there and where I went in (west entrance) was not posted anywhere not signs saying anything about it being illegal or anything I looked. So I guess I know now............good to know

Knoxville didn't actually opt out of the state law, in which case they WOULD have to post them, rather they are simply holding onto a pre-1986 city ordinance, which they can legally do by TCA statute, and NOT post them.

So, though "ignorance of the law is no excuse", it seems like an especially bad "gotcha" in this case.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
clarification
And if I recall correctly, didn't the AG say that you can still be charged even if the park isn't posted?

Yes, that is what he said (another stupid lawyer that can't understand what another lawyer wrote.) However, since it's under the pre 1986 law, it's only a $50 fine and that's it.

And if I recall correctly, didn't the AG say that you can still be charged even if the park isn't posted?

Yes, but I think his logic is flawed.

He is basing it on a case where someone was convicted of posession at a school even though the signs required weren't posted.

However all schools are off-limits period. But parks are legal by default and only off-limits if a resolution is passed, part of that same law that requires them to pass a resolution requires them to post signs.

I'm not going to do like one ex-member, but if I go out of town and a park is not posted, I'm not going to call city hall or the court house to see if a resolution is passed. So if I was somehow still charged I would definetly fight it.

Remember the AG's opinion is just that....it isn't law or a judical ruiling.

Yes, that is what he said (another stupid lawyer that can't understand what another lawyer wrote.) However, since it's under the pre 1986 law, it's only a $50 fine and that's it.

You keep saying that.

However, the ordinance says

" Any person violating any of the provisions of this general penalty article shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and conviction thereof shall result in the penalties of a monetary fine not to exceed fifty dollars ($50.00) and the repayment of administrative costs incident to the correction of the municipal violation in an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00) and/or by imprisonment not to exceed thirty (30) days, or both, for each separate offense. Each day any violation of this Code or of any ordinance shall continue shall constitute a separate offense. "

- OS