Phil Bredesen to (possibly) sit on carry bill.

It's being reported that Governor Bredesen plans to sit on the carry bill until the Tennessee General Assembly lets out for vacation. That is what is called a "pocket veto". Please send your e-mails to Bredesens office to let him know you want that bill to be passed into law.

I sent:

Governor Bredesen,

First off, I would like to thank you for the excellent job you have done for Tennessee. I feel that you have done everything in your power to build a better Tennessee as our Governor. That being said, I sincerely hope that you make it legal for concealed carry permit holders, who have been authorized by the great state of Tennessee, to carry their sidearms into parks and restaurants. I know that you will, since it has such overwhelming approval from the Tennessee General Assembly, which does, in fact, reflect the citizens opinions. I am a gun owner, and I voted for you.

Your constituent,

Cliff Haney

Signal Mountain, Tennessee

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JavaGuy

This is valid in some states and in the federal government, but it does not apply in Tennessee. He has ten days to sign, veto or not sign.

If he vetoes the bill, the legislature can override the veto. Otherwise, it becomes law when he signs or after the ten days elapse.

Guest GatorsRule1976
Otherwise, it becomes law when he signs or after the ten days elapse.

So does this mean even if he doesn't sign it, it will automatically become law?:rolleyes:

He can sit on it all he dang wants. It still becomes law after 10 days.

He did this before on another HCP law in the past, I believe it was the one allowing permit holders to carry in stores that sold alcohol. He will probably do the same with this so it will become law anyway. Bredesen is a chicken:poop:

He did this before on another HCP law in the past, I believe it was the one allowing permit holders to carry in stores that sold alcohol. He will probably do the same with this so it will become law anyway. Bredesen is a chicken:poop:

And I am sure at the time a whole bunch of crazy people said liquor stores would get shot up by people...haven't seen that happen yet...(at least not by law abiding HCP holders.)

Matthew

Guest benchpresspower

So let me get this straight. The bill is already on his desk and has been for about 2 days now right? So in all reality we have 8 to go till it becomes law and then June 1st is the official date?

Samething happened in ga last year with their carry into restaurants.

Its just the political middle grounds to get more votes next election is all.

I think im pretty confident this will pass,but won't be all that surprised if the poopoo runs down the wall.

I know what he can sit on....

what? :Playscoy:

Guest SomeGuy

I think that was pre-Bredeson.

I thought this bill dealt only with establishments that served alcohol in restaurants. Is there something in there about parks too?

II sincerely hope that you make it legal for concealed carry permit holders, who have been authorized by the great state of Tennessee, to carry their sidearms into parks and restaurants.
I think that was pre-Bredeson.

I think you are right, that code was changed in 2001 but I do remember something concerning firearms he refused to sign or veto. He also had missgivings at first about signing the law that prevents law enforcement from seizing firearms from citizens during an emergency, I remember that clearly but he saw what a political hot button that would have been for him. Anyway, we will be done with him in 2010.

And I am sure at the time a whole bunch of crazy people said liquor stores would get shot up by people...haven't seen that happen yet...(at least not by law abiding HCP holders.)

Matthew

They screamed when the shall issue law was first passed saying wild west shootouts would occure and they scream every time a new law is passed concerning HCP's and firearms. Thing is, when this becomes law and after some time they will forget about it. The media's attempt to cause reactionary panic only works for a short time.

I don't know about anyone else but I'll be glad not to see Ronal Serpas's ugly mug on TV sticking his nose into state legislation, he's getting as annoying as Nafieh.

Guest bkelm18
Im sorry I havent kept up better on this. But are the curfews still on the bill or did they take them off.

No, it's a clean bill.