New to me Springfield 1911

• Administrator

Part of the deal when I sold my Glock 21 to fund my wife's pink Smith & Wesson M&P was that I got to pick up another 5-inch all steel 1911 whenever I could find a good deal on one.

I found a good deal on one. :rolleyes:

This is a Springfield Armory "Loaded" model 1911 that the previous owner had installed XS 24/7 Big Dot night sights and an enlarged magazine well on. I added the VZ Grips "Alien" grips in black and red linen micarta. The grips are cut for an ambidextrous safety, so I hope to visit Hero Gear soon and have their gunsmith fit a Wilson High Rise ambi-safety onto it for me.

I've already ordered another kydex body for one of my MTAC holsters so that I can carry it if the urge strikes. I'm pretty sure the urge will strike given how good this firearm feels.

Thanks go out to the guys at The Outpost Armory for doing the FFL transfer for me and thanks to the guys at Hyatt Gun Shop over in North Carolina for the good deal on it.

SpringfieldLoaded-20090515-1.jpg

SpringfieldLoaded-20090515-2.jpg

SpringfieldLoaded-20090515-3.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

David,

My checkbook hates you.

The SA 1911 is to be my next purchase, and you just cranked the heat!

That thing is cool.

Gotta get to Joe's

David,

My checkbook hates you.

The SA 1911 is to be my next purchase, and you just cranked the heat!

That thing is cool.

Gotta get to Joe's

I've had one for a couple of years now. Great pistols! You'll love it!:rolleyes:

• Administrator

Pass my apologies on to your checkbook. I'll let you know after tomorrow how high the heat should be turned up. :rolleyes:

One observation so far, regarding the XS sights. I prefer a strong hook on my rear sights to aid in one-handed slide manipulation. These sights don't have it. I thought they would by looking at the photos online, but the truth is that they are more of a low profile rear design.

I may look at a different sight setup if it bears out that the XS sight can't be used reliably for racking the slide. I've seen several recently on other forums that had some SERIOUS bite to them. That's what a good carry gun needs.

Guest Bronker
Pass my apologies on to your checkbook. I'll let you know after tomorrow how high the heat should be turned up. :rolleyes:

One observation so far, regarding the XS sights. I prefer a strong hook on my rear sights to aid in one-handed slide manipulation. These sights don't have it. I thought they would by looking at the photos online, but the truth is that they are more of a low profile rear design.

I may look at a different sight setup if it bears out that the XS sight can't be used reliably for racking the slide. I've seen several recently on other forums that had some SERIOUS bite to them. That's what a good carry gun needs.

I'll be curious about the XS. You'll remember those XS's that you and Mike talked me into that day at the Outpost...well, they made it onto my XD45 Service and I love them. Super fast sight capture, and even bright at night. Yes, I've become a XS big dot fan.

XS's on a SA 1911...well that's just ridiculous! Gotta have that setup! Let me know how she rolls tomorrow!

Guest BigShot
Ooooooooh... SHINY!

Where are the frames made on Springfield's "Loaded" models?

ALL metal SA frames are forged in South America. The tooling and machine work is done in good ol' USA. At least, according to the customer service guy at Springfield Armory. :D

• Administrator

Well I had a chance to shoot it yesterday at the Mid Tenn Meet & Shoot. The gun is superb. Excellent trigger and far more accurate than I am. I even liked the Big Dot sights, except for the fact that the rear sight had apparently never had Loctite applied to the two set screws. Somewhere around round #70 it started working its way off to the right of the frame.

I've since repaired it with Loctite and sufficient torque to the screws, but there is at least a few 1/100ths of an inch daylight showing beneath the base of the sight and the dovetail. I'm likely going to replace them soon with some sights from Chuck Rogers depending on availability and his schedule. I may get him to do some other things to the gun while he has it.

One funny thing worth noting is that after the sight came loose, I removed it completely and Hornet Handler and I proceeded to continue putting rounds down range with the gun using the front sight and the hammer as our aiming points. We were consistently getting good groups in the head of a B21 target from 10-15 yds. :tinfoil: