Glock 20 (10mm)

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

Well my Glock 20 came in today, so I'll be able to bring it to the meet and greet this weekend, as long as I can find some range ammo...

This will be my first "full size" Glock, and I'm planning on adding several upgrades to make this my "shooters" gun. A trigger job is next, and maybe swap about the recoil springs for a stainless or tungsten rod.

One question I have though, is it worth it to go ahead and swap out the factory barrel with a Lone Wold replacement one, or should I just wait until it needs resplacing? Wasn't sure if the Lone Wolf one's are better, or just a good choice when it's time for a replacement.

I'll get some shots up soon, but you all know what a Glock looks like...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drc767
i'd get the long one from glock... its a better barrel.

+1 on that....I have 6" Glock barrel on my G20. It makes the G20 an excellent shooter.

I just put a LW in my G19. I like the chamber support better and the traditional rifling. Glock claims their poly rifling gives better accuracy but that is debatable. In the G20 I'd switch to a better chamber supported barrel IMO.

Well my Glock 20 came in today, so I'll be able to bring it to the meet and greet this weekend, as long as I can find some range ammo...

This will be my first "full size" Glock, and I'm planning on adding several upgrades to make this my "shooters" gun. A trigger job is next, and maybe swap about the recoil springs for a stainless or tungsten rod.

One question I have though, is it worth it to go ahead and swap out the factory barrel with a Lone Wold replacement one, or should I just wait until it needs resplacing? Wasn't sure if the Lone Wolf one's are better, or just a good choice when it's time for a replacement.

I'll get some shots up soon, but you all know what a Glock looks like...

Congrats on the G20 Have you shot the gun yet? my 20SF is pretty accurate out of the box, in my opinion you should shoot a few rounds before you decide to modify anything :wall:

Guest JHatmaker

One more question, to port? Or not to port? Will having ports in the barrel be advantageous vs having none? I'd also love some pics.

I know this isn't really a gun for looks, but the Storm Lake & LW stainless steel barrel's look so good in a Glock...

Guest JHatmaker
Congrats on the G20 Have you shot the gun yet? my 20SF is pretty accurate out of the box, in my opinion you should shoot a few rounds before you decide to modify anything :wall:

Thanks! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, having some night sites put on it and will test it out tomorrow afternoon. Very anxious to fire some shots off.

Thanks! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, having some night sites put on it and will test it out tomorrow afternoon. Very anxious to fire some shots off.

You will love that gun, the 10 mill was a revelation to me aside from my .44 magnum it is the most fun I have had shooting, and having 15 + 1 rounds, they are incredible :wall:

Guest m4coyote

There are several advantages to an aftermarket barrel in a G20. The first is that it is easier to reload the cases that come from a barrel with more chamber support. Bar-Sto, LW, and Storm Lake all have tighter chambers than the original Glock barrel. In my G20, shooting the hot 135 gr. loads from Double Tap are iffy when using the original barrel. They display a serious "guppy belly" from the lack of support in the feed ramp area. If I were to shoot "hot" handloads or the stuff from Double Tap, then I would suggest going with an aftermarket barrel.

The Double Tap web site suggests going with aftermarket unit, and I certainly agree. The factory barrel is more than adequate for most of the garden variety weak factory loads out there, but for me, leaves something to be desired when using "hot" ammo.

A Bar-Sto will be the next purchase for my G20. I already have the Wolff solid steel guide rod, a variety of different weight non - captured recoil springs, and it has improved the function of my G20.

Check to see if your G20 has a 4256 trigger bar, if not, then order the 4256-1 bar. It is an improved version of the original 4256, and alleviates soft primer strikes by pulling the striker farther rearward, and makes better contact with the safety plunger.

I love my G20, but it has been the most troublesome pistol I have ever purchased. The guide rod & spring, and 4256-1 trigger bar at least allowed it to dependably function & go boom - instead of just making a "click" when the trigger was pulled on a live round.

There are several advantages to an aftermarket barrel in a G20. The first is that it is easier to reload the cases that come from a barrel with more chamber support. Bar-Sto, LW, and Storm Lake all have tighter chambers than the original Glock barrel. In my G20, shooting the hot 135 gr. loads from Double Tap are iffy when using the original barrel. They display a serious "guppy belly" from the lack of support in the feed ramp area. If I were to shoot "hot" handloads or the stuff from Double Tap, then I would suggest going with an aftermarket barrel.

The Double Tap web site suggests going with aftermarket unit, and I certainly agree. The factory barrel is more than adequate for most of the garden variety weak factory loads out there, but for me, leaves something to be desired when using "hot" ammo.

A Bar-Sto will be the next purchase for my G20. I already have the Wolff solid steel guide rod, a variety of different weight non - captured recoil springs, and it has improved the function of my G20.

Check to see if your G20 has a 4256 trigger bar, if not, then order the 4256-1 bar. It is an improved version of the original 4256, and alleviates soft primer strikes by pulling the striker farther rearward, and makes better contact with the safety plunger.

I love my G20, but it has been the most troublesome pistol I have ever purchased. The guide rod & spring, and 4256-1 trigger bar at least allowed it to dependably function & go boom - instead of just making a "click" when the trigger was pulled on a live round.

I am about to order some Double Tap 180 Grain Bonded Personal Defence, my G-20SF is completely stock. Do you think it will digest this ammo the way it is?

JHatmaker, your talking about looks on a Glock. I take all my Glock barrels and get them polished and jeweled. The jeweling on the top and side of the barrel makes them look awesome. If you get an aftermarket barrel you will just have to have it jeweled since they come polished from the factory.

-Jason G

Guest m4coyote

Steven,

I am not aware of any negative issues with the 180 grain Double Tap loads. The 135 grainers are the real hot rod loads. Fire one or two rounds, and give the spent cases a good look. If they are not bulged too badly, then you are probably good to go. Also keep an eye on proper lock up - after recoil.

If you notice that the G20 is not returning to full battery, then you probably need to look into a solid guide rod & spring combo. My G20 may be the odd one out, but it just would not function properly with hot loads unless the Wolff solid rod and the 18 - 22lb. recoil spring were installed.

The owner of Double Tap ammo, Mike Mcnett, has probably done more research than anyone on the 10mm auto cartridge. He has proprietary powder for the 10mm, and produces the most powerful 10mm rounds available. He has also done much research on the G20, and recommends solid guide rods, heavier recoil springs, and aftermarket barrels (tighter chamber tolerance).

Guest JHatmaker

Thanks for the info Coyote! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes my guns to look somewhat different ;)

Phillip - shoot me a PM with what you charge for that, and I'll bring it up there. Been to the shop a couple times.

Great info guys, appreciate it! :P

Guest JHatmaker
Just call me and give me some notice that your coming and i'll bring mine down to show you how it looks first... will bring my g20 with the 6in hunting barrel too. Just let me know.

Sam was charging $50-$65ish to do them.

Thanks, will do!

Steven,

I am not aware of any negative issues with the 180 grain Double Tap loads. The 135 grainers are the real hot rod loads. Fire one or two rounds, and give the spent cases a good look. If they are not bulged too badly, then you are probably good to go. Also keep an eye on proper lock up - after recoil.

If you notice that the G20 is not returning to full battery, then you probably need to look into a solid guide rod & spring combo. My G20 may be the odd one out, but it just would not function properly with hot loads unless the Wolff solid rod and the 18 - 22lb. recoil spring were installed.

The owner of Double Tap ammo, Mike Mcnett, has probably done more research than anyone on the 10mm auto cartridge. He has proprietary powder for the 10mm, and produces the most powerful 10mm rounds available. He has also done much research on the G20, and recommends solid guide rods, heavier recoil springs, and aftermarket barrels (tighter chamber tolerance).

I appreciate the info, Thank you

Guest hickok

The only reason I buy replacement barrels if to shoot lead bullets, and that's just for my G21 and G30. Stock barrels always work just fine for me.

Guest JHatmaker

Gun shot great this weekend at the Mid TN Meet and Shoot. Not nearly the recoil I thought it would have, less than my .45's...

I went ahead and ordered a 6" barrel just to go ahead and grab one, and will see how that one does. Probably the only other thing I'll do is a trigger job.

Guest JHatmaker

I'm going to go ahead and have a 3lb trigger job done. But do have another question. Is there any benefit of going with a tungsten or titanium guide rod vs a stainless steel one? I've read that tungsten one's weigh more to help keep the end of the gun down, but is there anything else? Thanks!!

Guest JHatmaker

Yeah, you think that'd be a bad idea? :rock:

No, this is strictly a shooters gun, hence the 6inch barrel etc. The gun is big enough as it is, so I wouldn't want to carry it to begin with. Just my personal preference.

I seriously hope that you do not intend to carry that glock with a 3LB trigger?

To each his own. If using a lighter trigger pull allows you more accurate shot placement, then use the lighter trigger pull. As always, you need to exercise proper trigger control. That is, do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Remove your finger from the trigger and place it along the top of the trigger guard pointing your trigger finger parallel to the barrel once you stop firing.

To me, the trigger pull is a personal preference when used with proper trigger control that you develop at the shooting range.

Some people prefer the New York trigger spring pull of 11#.