Guest ScottD

I took the 8 hour class @ On Target (this was 2 years ago IIRC) and Ronnie taught the class. I don't recall any misinformation that was taught. Ronnie made the class rather interesting, instead of just going through the material and sending us out the door.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
:down::hyper::drool:

What is it with these instructors.....

TN only has a handful of off-limits places..at least compared to some other states. How hard can it be to keep up with them?

If/when the restaurant and park carry bills pass wonder how long (or if) they will change information given in class about those places?

About the same time the video gets updated. LOLOLOL

My personal belief is that it is "not smart" to open carry anywhere (other than hunting of course). Number one, you don't want a "bad guy" to see you have a weapon because believe me....it will be their goal to take it from you and use it on others. If there are 3 bad guys that are all eyeballing your piece and only you with it on your hip....well.....that is an open invite to it being taken from you if you are not careful. Never give the bad guy the upper hand. I always carry concealed for that very reason. All it takes is you turning your head one time and not having control of your weapon in the open holster and......well, you could be dead and others could be dead. I am for conceal carry. It is for safety reasons. I also do not like the idea of leaving my gun locked in my car. Even though right now I don't really have a choice when it comes to certain places.....ex: Church, Schools, establishments that serve alcohol, state parks). If the gun is in the car then there is always the chance of a "smash & grab". I do not want to aid the bad guys in getting guns. I believe properly trained individuals that pass the background check and everything else that is required, should be able to carry in church, school,parks,& restaurants that serve alcohol. Gun free zones are killing zones. I just think we all should consider being very very mindful of our weapons and how we choose to carry and try to be responsible with our weapons so nobody gets a hold of it and uses it for something other than self defense.

Here's what I use when I must leave it in the car.

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentID=IT00000410&parentLink=2100000084:3100000484:3100001529

I must be slipping up. Went to the bank today, 1st TN on Middlebrook near Cedar Bluff. Dang guard did not even pry his eyes off the TV to see me walk in.

I swear I could have grabbed his gun and run off with it.

Guest tarheel78

Re the OP from Page 1, I am joining the chorus and calling BS on the instructor. Not so. A bank is private property, same as a WalMart, and the owner/prop has the option to post it, period, and must do so prominently. Then the instructor is correct. Most CCW instructors are very impressive, lots of experience and street creds. Its a shame one can spoil the rep of many good ones.

Another peeve, some classes might have an insurance rep conveniently available to sell professional "liability" policies to students after the mandatory legal liability portion. I wonder how many of the insurance reps are friends/relatives of the CCW vendors? Is this a legit service or just a kickback scheme? Like auto dealer extended warranties, much of the initial premium is a profit load for the salesman. I'm not down on insurance, just very pro-full-disclosure to the public.

Guest hickok

Good to know since I've kept guns in my large lock box at the bank for about 20 years now. I used to have an Uzi (legally, of course) that I would store there for months at a time, so there's no telling how many times I've actually carried a fully automatic Uzi into my bank! :-)

Guest Bill Lumberg

Your instructor is stupid. Unless it's the U.S. Federal Reserve or a bank on federal property, they have to post just like any other business for it to be a no-carry zone.

In our permit class the instructor informed us that banks are off limits (posted or not) because they are protected by the FDIC (which is also why the FBI handles bank robberies).

I have looked every where for legal info and yet to find any. Any one out there lawyerly enough to give an answer with reference?

Sometimes I wonder about some of the instructors, other times I'm pretty sure. :)

What do you think / know?

Your instructor is stupid. Unless it's the U.S. Federal Reserve or a bank on federal property, they have to post just like any other business for it to be a no-carry zone.

No reason to call someone names that is not here to defend himself.

Yes, the instructor was misinformed and gave out wrong information, but again I think that can be addressed without resorting to name calling.

Guest slothful1

I think it's fair to say that someone who charges others money to teach them a course and conveys false information about the topic -- when accurate information is readily available -- is either stupid or a fraud. Of those, 'stupid' is the more charitable description.

I think it's fair to say that someone who charges others money to teach them a course and conveys false information about the topic -- when accurate information is readily available -- is either stupid or a fraud. Of those, 'stupid' is the more charitable description.

I agree someone taking money and providing a service for that money should deliver a quality product which includes accurate information. But they can be misinformed just like any of the rest of us and doesn't mean they are purposely deceitful or otherwise inherently uneducated.

But mainly I was just trying to keep the board above petty name calling...

Guest Bill Lumberg

Correct on all counts.

I have to agree with a few other posted RE's to this statement. I don't think I would call this guy stupid. There is no need for that.

As far as this goes I guess you would have to say that I was stupid for asking about something that I was unsure about. I wouldn't think so; maybe "mistaken" would be a better description for my post as well as the instructor's information.

I have a feeling that if any of us were to go head to head in a factual debate with this instructor we would probably end up feeling a little stupid ourselves.

Heck I am not perfect even in my area of expertise and am more than willing to admit this to anyone I work for and have done so in the past, but they still respect my overall knowledge and continue to call for my services.

That is why I am willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt on an issue until I have more information. I may feel that the idea is off base as I indicated here with the :mad:., but I would never call a successful professional stupid.

Maybe I was stupid for expecting the same from RE's to my OP. :chill::up:

Guest Bill Lumberg

Only a bozo would be so unprepared as to give fundamentally incorrect advice to students he was paid to instruct. CCW law isn't rocket science, particularly in TN.

Only a bozo would be so unprepared as to give fundamentally incorrect advice to students he was paid to instruct. CCW law isn't rocket science, particularly in TN.

Sort of like it's not rocket science to know there is no such thing as CCW law in TN since the state issues a Handgun Carry Permit that doesn't require concealment.

Guest Bill Lumberg

You mean you don't know what ccw means? CCW is a term commonly used to refer to non-sworn citizens carrying a firearm. It is used on this board and others to refer to citizen firearm carry, in a variety of situations. As most folks choose to avoid drama and carry concealed, ccw is one of the more common terms. CCW law refers to laws governing the laws pertaining to citizens carrying firearms. Glad to explain it to you. :up:

You mean you don't know what ccw means? CCW is a term commonly used to refer to non-sworn citizens carrying a firearm. It is used on this board and others to refer to citizen firearm carry, in a variety of situations. As most folks choose to avoid drama and carry concealed, ccw is one of the more common terms. CCW law refers to laws governing the laws pertaining to citizens carrying firearms. Glad to explain it to you. :up:

AFAIK CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon. (AFAIK stands for As Far As I Know BTW) (BTW stand for By The Way)

I do know CCW (as are other acronyms*) is sometimes used to describe citizen carry and relative laws and is 100% accurate in some states (just like it is illegal to carry in a bank in some states) however I thought we were trying to be specific about TN and accurate. I mean accuracy seems to be everyone's main problem with the instructor.

* CHL = Concealed Handgun License

* CWP = Concealed Weapons Permit

* CPL = Concealed Pistol License

* CCH = Concealed Carry Handgun

:mad:

Edited by Fallguy
Guest Bill Lumberg

While you're 100% correct, it comes across as snippy. We're all friends here. Room for different opinions and levels of knowledge. I hope everyone has a most excellent holiday weekend.

I bank in a small town. The head teller is my neighbor on one side and one of the managers is my neighbor on the other side. They hear me firing in my garage range (.22) daily and they both know I carry EDC. I'm sure they know I am armed when I come into bank and neither has ever said a word about it. Of course about a third of the adults in my county have HCPs! Waiting on resturaunt bill to start eating in Chilis and Applebys again!

horse.gif

Oh no you didn't.

LOL

Well talk about messed up information, when my wife took her class the instructor told the class you could carry where booze was being served. We had that discussion here and once I could prove him wrong (just so he didn't get someone into trouble with bad info) I went to him and showed him in the law where he was wrong. Unfortunately not long after that he passed on of a heart attack, (I think). So I'm not sure if he was able to put the info I gave him to use.

You mean you don't know what ccw means? It is used on this board and others to refer to citizen firearm carry [snip] Glad to explain it to you. :)

the acronym for citizen firearm carry would be CFC,not ccw.

;)