Finally took the HCP class..

Guest JavaGuy

Guest JavaGuy

Yep, I finally took the HCP class today up in Greenbrier at Guns-n-Leather. My brother in law had asked if I'd done the class yet, and if not, did I want to go...

So we got scheduled at G&L at a time that worked for both of us... and then realized later that it was set for Mothers Day. Whoops. Luckily, neither of us got shot by wives or moms.

I finally see what everyone has been talking about with regard to the official video. Oh my... I thought the first THP officer did a decent job.. the firearms instructor who followed him in the video was terrible.. the two lawyers in the video almost put my brother in law to sleep (by his account) and were doing a great job of boring me. Why in the world hasn't the Dept. of Safety produced a new up-to-date video. Thank goodness for our instructor, both before and after the video, for making things interesting. Mark did a great job of leading us through the class.

The bottom line - we both passed. 100's on the written test and enough holes in the paper to qualify..

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I finally took the HCP class today up in Greenbrier at Guns-n-Leather. My brother in law had asked if I'd done the class yet, and if not, did I want to go...

So we got scheduled at G&L at a time that worked for both of us... and then realized later that it was set for Mothers Day. Whoops. Luckily, neither of us got shot by wives or moms.

I finally see what everyone has been talking about with regard to the official video. Oh my... I thought the first THP officer did a decent job.. the firearms instructor who followed him in the video was terrible.. the two lawyers in the video almost put my brother in law to sleep (by his account) and were doing a great job of boring me. Why in the world hasn't the Dept. of Safety produced a new up-to-date video. Thank goodness for our instructor, both before and after the video, for making things interesting. Mark did a great job of leading us through the class.

The bottom line - we both passed. 100's on the written test and enough holes in the paper to qualify..

Congrats, are you going to the DMV today to put in your application then back to GnL to be fingerprinted? Suggest you pay by check, or if cash, keep the receipt till you get your card. Some people have claimed their apps just vanished. How long do they say the backlog is running these days? I got my HCP little over a year ago (before oboma-mania) and it was 80 day's before it came in the mail.

Guest JHatmaker

As far as wait times, I got mine 24 days after getting finger printed, but my buddy who got finger printed two days after me still has not gotten his permit (the HCP hotline says his background checks aren't even back yet), FYI we got finger printed the week of 2/23-2/27 of this year.

...a certified birth certificate...

This might be worth repeating as general information. A lot of people have a "birth certificate" that was issued by the hospital which is worthless for legal purposes, such as obtaining a HCP. The day I applied for my HCP, the gentleman in front of me was very upset to find that the "birth certificate" he had was essentially a pretty gift from the hospital as opposed to a certified birth certificate issued by the state.

Guest JavaGuy

Thanks for all the tips. Mark Crabtree of G&L did a great job. He made a special note of telling us about the various forms of ID necessary to put in the app.